Why no MP Soundwave love

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I know I am :horse:  or even :deadhorse:  however, I am shocked that we get ANOTHER remold of Optimus with no Soundwave love at all!

Here are my basic arguments:

1- The MP line is mostly created for collectors, not really kids. Sure Kids can play with them if their folks are rich, but this is a collectors line. So that throws out the, "Has/Tak thinks that kids now a days don't want to play with tape decks" excuse. If it is a collectors line, then give us freaking soundwave already. I understand the Classics line but not the MP line

2- If they created MP Soundwave, I have counted a minimum of 4 molds that can be created:
    - Soundwave
    - Soundblaster
    - White Soundwave to represent the scene where he died.
    - The clear Soundwave with the special cassette that controls Madmachine. This mold can come specifically with that transmitter and Madmachine.

3- Each mold can contain different cassettes which would force loyalists to collect all of them to get the cassettes. I know it's evil, but hey, it is what it is.

3- For other molds in discussion currently, you cannot do this. While I love Shockwave, Galvatron and so on, I cannot see there being 4 or so different molds of these guys.

I mean, am I wrong on this? Is Has/Tak missing an opportunity here or is it just me.

If the new trend is to recreate all of the MP line into new molds, I maybe done with the MP line all together. I guess customizer have no reason for concern, I could only see MP money going to them at this point.

2. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I think the problem with Soundwave is that it is such an Iconic character, tied to such a dated alt mode.

I don't think many people would be willing to drop alot of money on an 80s boombox. What they need to do is reinvent him and give him a relevant alt mode.

3. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope one day Takara does give us an MP Soundwave the crap Rumble and Frenzy we got in the United line just don't do it for me. They could release Soundwave with Rumble, Frenzy and Laserbeak then do Soundblaster with Ratbat & Buzzsaw. I would buy two of each one for mode like I currently do with my MP's.

[​IMG]

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

^ I agree with MidnightBliss. I think that since we get so few new MP molds my assumption would be that the designers would want to produce a figure with a slightly more dynamic alt mode than a tape recorder. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they share the same love for Soundwave as the fans do, but you'll probably find we get any other figure except Soundwave in MP form, simply due to the fact that he essentially transforms into a brick, and it's that respect and affection for the character that prevents them making his alt mode into something else (ie SUV etc).

5. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    I would and I don't think I'm alone.

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well to be honest, I'd much rather he retained the original look (the way the audio label ones did), than see a completely new character that happened to transform into something with a similar chest. Heck if anything, the tapedeck would even be a retro thing now, rather than a boring appliance that's sitting in everyone's kitchen.

However again, the simplicity that we love could easily be what's keeping him from that line, and that's where Alucard & trailbraker's idea comes into play. No, I don't think that only one minibot would be included, but rather 2 or 3, all of which being hella good. In other words, these wouldn't be throw inns, but legit & innovative transformers that happen to be small enough to fit into the chest. I mean that way, we'd get Soundwave in his true form, as well as his minions in their true form as well.

7. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Soundwave wasn't a boombox....but speaking of which, it could be possible that with a little work, he could also be turned into Blaster.

8. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I was going to add the blaster arguement, but didn't know how much would really need to be changed. MP tries to keep it as close to cartoon as it can for the most part and blaster isn't really a recycled soundwave in the cartoon.

But if we used that argument, then we get 2 more molds:
    1- Blaster
    2- Twincast

I guess we won't be seeing any of this soon. If the rumors are true, we are in the glorious days of MP remolds. Supposedly Starscream is next.

9. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Soundwave-micro cassette recorder.
    Blaster-portable boombox.

10. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just one thing, the new Convoy mold is NOT a remold. It's a completely new, even more accurate, smaller mold. Speculation is something around the size of iGear Faith Leader.

As for why no soundwave, I'm pretty sure him and Galvatron will come eventually. For Soundwave, though, the big problem is how to make him interesting. More than the fact that the alt mode is outdated and a little boring, Optimus is an outdated truck for example, it's more of the fact of how to get an interesting transformation, and a dynamic, animation accurate, poseable robot.

As excited I am to see what they can do with updating Convoy again, I'm still sad it isn't a new character. We are getting MPs at an accelerated rate, so we shouldn't have to wait too long. I really want to see what they can do with Soundwave when they eventually get to it.

11. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The alt mode is irrelevant when it comes to MP figures. These are collector focused so an 'outdated' mode doesn't matter. They want him as he looked in the show/comic.

BTW: Technically isn't G1 Megatron an outdated gun. When's the last time you saw a movie/tv character use a Walter P-38? Nobody has issues with his gun mode & asking for him to be updated to a newer gun.

12. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    And yet we managed to get an oversized Walther P-38. I'm sure they could add features to make Soundwave more interesting, like the base mode for cassettes from Microman. Soundwave just isn't as high on their list as we would like to think.

13. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Well music players, whatever the most recent version, are a tad more common than guns.....

14. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Actually it's not, I just checked. It was still being manufactured as late as 2000. And it was still being issued to militaries as a side-arm in the 90's.

15. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I thought the new MP Optimus was a new figure, not a remold.

16. Kramerica

Kramerica Banned

I would too. In fact if the the new mp is another Prime then I'm not buying it and if it was a mp Soundwave I would be buying it. I'm sure I'll want the new convoy mp but at these mp prices I'm not going to keep throwing my money and the same figure made over and over. I bought Rodimus because he was a new character not because I like Rodimus so much that I need to have 50 Rodimus Primes.

17. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

It is supposed to be a new mold. I am not canceling my preorder until we see official images.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  18. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    They have to eventually make a MP Soundwave. I mean, as dated as the mold is, he's still a fan favorite. They could update it to add more articulation, change the size a bit, make him come with more cassettes, have a better headsculpt, etc. I am extremely disappointed to find that they're making yet ANOTHER Optimus mold. There's already too many Optimus toys as it is, the last thing anyone needs is another one. Show some love to Soundwave!

19. Alucard77

News Credits:
    2 quick things:

1- MP is not really coming out at a "fast rate". We get a new mold per year. Considering the next mold is Optimus and there are rumors that after that they are redoing Starscream, we are talking at least 3 years before we see anything new. That is, if they don't continue with the whole new mold process.

2- I think there is plenty of complexity to build into him. They should at the very least figure out a way for him to have a flat chest and still hold 2 - 4 cassettes. If he can do that, it would be a miracle.

20. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    I expect there will eventually be an MP Soundwave. As others have said, partly the problem is that he's a microcassette player - not from an visual POV so much, more that they need to find ways to make the transformation interesting and dynamic.

Even if they spent some of the budget on making Laserbeak, Ravage, Frenzy & Rumble to package with him, would you really feel satisfied with an MP that takes 10 seconds to transform? Really? I reckon there's plenty of desire to do Soundwave, but he will not be in a classic form.

Hmmm... maybe that's what MP11 will be. If MP10 is Convoy "reborn" and all bets are now off, perhaps MP11 will be a non-G1, non-classic-alt-mode, re-imagined MP Soundwave. That would cause some entertaining nerdrage...