Why no G1 MP Bumblebee?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I was wondering about this. With Hasbro's obsession with releasing 10,000 different varations on bumble bee, I wonder why there hasn't been a MP one yet.

The only thing I could think of is because it is Takara doing it. Don't get me wrong. I DO NOT WANT ONE. I am just wondering.

2. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    The same reason they cancelled Alternators Bumblebee: Hasbro/Takara were unable to get approval from Volkswagon to make a G1 accurate toy using the VW alt mode since VW apparently doesn't want their brands licensed for things that can be considered "war toys".

3. Alucard77

News Credits:
    thread done. That was quick.

4. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And to think I thought it was because the alt mode would be so darn boring and none of the "kidz" would want one as it doesn't look the like the movie version.

5. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    If they wanted to have a G1 style MP Bumblebee, there is another way they could do it. Work a deal with GM and use the older Camaro body on him. Then in robot mode replace the VW parts with the Camaro parts.

6. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think Hasbro has little to do with character choice for the MP line. I'm sure BB has been considered on his popularity alone, but ultimately he's an odd choice for a line whose selling points are "very large and full of features."

That and the VW thing.

7. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The camaro idea would be passable, but then he wouldn't be a G1 Bumblebee, would he? And I think that's the whole point of the MP line. Even if BB wouldn't be the largest MP figure, at least he'd be a bit easier on the wallet.

Jazz would also fall under the alt-mode no no list. I believe its all VW and all Porsche products, and anything else VW owns.

8. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think also that the MP line is all G1, bumblebee really wasn't a major player. Jazz would be a more likely choice.

9. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Decepticon. I'm no hero

News Credits:
    It might have to do with licensing but I honestly think it's because nobody ever care much about BB in G1. He was little, weak and just not very popular with buyers. The only reason he got screen time is because he was Spikes protector which meant he was always there to load Spike up and run away from trouble. Bumblebee didn't generate this enormous popularity until the Bay movies where he was a warrior and actually stood his ground and fought. JMO.

10. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Huh? BB was definitely a major player in the G1 series. At least as much as wheeljack and more so than Smokescreen or Jazz.

Heck I've seen 2 episodes recently in season two pretty much dedicated to Tracks. That guy got a lot of love in Season 2, but I still don't expect a car MP anytime soon for some reason.

Grimlock makes sense, and so does Starscream, Megs, and Prime, but after that, who? They prolly want a large and very iconic character that pretty much comes to life with the detail and poseability that MP brings to the table.

To me that's Jetfire, but that's another plane.

11. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well with BB, he wasn't famous back then, but I figure Hasbro would try to milk the Movieverse fandom and tie them back into the G1 line. Use his current popularity to sell the thing.

But I think it is the VW part.

12. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I use Alternity Bee and CJ.
    Suits my needs