Why no direct to DVD movies?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ORIO, Sep 24, 2007.

1. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why hasn't Hasbro done this yet?

So many properties have been brought to that medium; GIJoe, bionicle, marvel characters, dc characters, even barbie and my little pony...

I'd love to see some direct to DVD movies for Transformers they could do classics, war within, Transtech, or give us some Gathering style Beast Wars stories

I'm just curious why they haven't hit this idea up yet...

2. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    I would like to see a direct to DVD. They would get my money.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yeah. id love to see new g1 cartoons done full length animated feature style, like those marvel ones.

hasbro read this!

4. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would kill for a direct to DVD release.

Wait, let me rephrase that. I'd kill for a Beast Wars prequel or a Transtech direct to DVD release.

5. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Have you actually seen some of the D2V animated releases to date from some of the studios out there? Many of them suck: Brainiac Attacks, Batman vs Dracula, G.I. Joe Valor vs Venom, and don't even get me started on the endless Disney sequel D2Vs. And except for the recent Iron Man D2V, most of the recent animated Marvel productions have sucked.

While I would be interested to see any TF D2Vs, I have my doubts about how the production quality would turn out.

6. mazinger_c

mazinger_c Headphone Master

I think Hasbro should definitely explore this. There are a lot of story lines they could draw off of/expand on or new ones they can create. I'd like to see a Beast Wars feature detailing Starscream's creation of the indestructible spark that was implanted into Rampage, leading to the subsequent massacre of Colony Omicron and Depthcharge's relentless pursuit for revenge. Classics, War Within, G1, IDW stuff, etc....something with a good story and great animation.

7. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Most of 'em seriously suck, and they're probably aware of this. The ironman and dr strange were alright I guess, but still.

Most straight to video releases have crap animation, some lame story(or some version of a creation type story) that's been done already, or some sort of silly crossover type thing.

8. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I'd love to see IDW's G1 universe animated. The stories are pretty good. What I'd really love is a war within movie diorect to dvd. That series was really popular and a direct to dvd would be awesome.

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    At least where Hasbro has been concerned, they only appear to do direct-to-video stuff when they are not doing a TV show for the property at the time. Were there any GI-JOE videos put out while the Sigma Six program was on the air? I'm not sure.

10. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now, I know none of these are groundbreaking epics (batman vs. Dracula? ...seriously?) but, I think it'd be cool to see some new Transformer stories delivered this way!

I own Ultimate Avengers 1 and 2 and Bionicle 1 and 2 and I like them a lot! I want to see Iron Man and Superman:D oomsday. I won't watch Dr Strange, I don't care for the character.

What made me think of this was my girlfriends daughter watches the Barbie D2V's CONSTANTLY and I noticed one was made by Mainframe and it got me thinking about Beast Wars and such...

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Based on what I've seen, Hasbro appears only interested in financing (or maybe even just allowing) a new animated video (or series) of toys that they are currently trying to sell. (Comics are apparently a different story) While it might be neat to see new animated G1 or BW stuff, It seems doubtful Hasbro could be talked into it unless there's connected toys to go with it (like maybe the upcoming Classiverse line). Even if there were reissues or new sideline toys to sell, Hasbro could easily view it as more economical to just make more use of the G1/BW/Etc. series already produced.

12. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

I saw the Barbie as Rapunzel movie when it was on TV one christmas. I thought it was pretty good actually. At least it wasn't as braincell death-inducing as most programs based on girls' toys...

13. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

I loved Valor vs. Venom. :mad 

Anyway, count me in! I'd love to get some direct to dvd Transformers movies.

Here are some other questions:

1. Why the hell don't they release the Transformers shows like Energon & Cybertron on dvd?

2. Why aren't the full series that are available like G1, Beast Wars, Beast Machines & Armada in stores like Wal-Mart? They should be easier to find & CHEAPER!

14. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well g1 is answerable. There was some issue with who had the license to release it on dvd, rhino screwing with their version by adding star trek sound effects, the grou that was supposed to re-release it again getting closed, and now some sony group has their hands on it. Whether or not they do anything remains to be seen.

How about this one, where the hell are the japanese series dvds? They've already been dubbed and subbed, released in europe more than once, and they've NEVER seen the light of day in the US in any format at all.

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Maybe there's just no market for some of this stuff? The G1 DVDs sold on the nostalgia factor, I'd imagine. Most kids wouldn't be interested since it doesn't have "their" Optimus Prime or Hot Shot. If you then consider the Japanese shows have a far more limited appeal - these characters are old, and some are unrecognisable or obscure in the US, so you couldn't sell them to anything but fans. And gauging the general interest on here in the sets, most people who want them have either imported or downloaded the fansubs. So basically the market for the things has been eroded. Probably works out that they'd have a job breaking even on such a thing, forget making a profit.

A DVD movie would be nice, though I could only see that happening with a current line if there was no cartoon. Hey, with Universe / Classics 2.0 round the corner, maybe we could get a DVD out of the line, though I wouldn't hold my breath.

16. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

You're forgetting, though, that they're still cartoons like any other. It isn't just fans buying these. I really don't think kids would refuse to watch the older shows just because it doesn't have "their" Optimus Prime in it.

I know this woman, guess you could call her a friend of mine, her son was all crazy about Armada (I think)...but then she showed him the '86 movie and he came into the conclusion that the new shows suck. :D 

But you know what? I'd totally pay for an animated version of Target: 2006. :popcorn 

17. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I thought those DVDs that have been included with some toys: TF universe, Beastwars etc., would be counted as direct to DVD. If so then theyve already done that. I dont know about a full length film.

18. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Starscreams spark wasn't implanted into rampage. Rampage was the result of an maximal experiment designed to duplicate the indestructible nature of starscreams spark.

19. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I would really like to see War Within animated. That, and maybe they could do up a video that would at least explained the events that happened between G1 season two and the movie... I mean, when did Megatron and the Decepticons return to Cybertron only to have it completely conquered? When did the Autobots built the bases on Cybertron's moons? What's the background story on movie characters like Hot Rod and Ultra Magnus?

20. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    An animated movie prequel would be nice, too- but maybe they're waiting on something like that in case they cover some of that ground in TF2. But, count me as a vote for War Within. And a Star Wars TF animated movie, if done right, would be well received.