Why must Hasbro taunt me?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Buster_Witwicky, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    For me, I have patience. I eventually run across all the stuff that I want without paying 3rd party prices.

2. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

Over here in Singapore, a Scout Class figure costs $18.90, a Deluxe Class figure costs $27.90, a Voyager Class figure costs $51.90 and a Leader Class figure costs $109.90 at retail.

Every promotion / holiday / end of line sale, we might get 2 Scouts for $18.90, 1 Deluxe for $16.90 or 3 Deluxes for $50. We usually get 20% off on regular days. Sadly, we don't get the Double Your Action Giveaway.

On the plus side though, most Target / Walmart / whatever exclusives are usually released as regular retail items, except for Toy "R" Us exclusives. I guess thats because we have Toy "R" Us branches, while we do not have Target / Walmart / whatever in Singapore.

On top of that, I heard Hasbro over here imports TakaraTOMY products to specialty toy stores, which is why we are able to buy them at slightly lower or slightly higher than the original yen retail price. Which is why I usually wait for the TakaraTOMY release, since a regular Deluxe Class figure is usually $30 to $38 while the Hasbro version is $27.90.

What I don't get is, isn't China closer to Singapore? Why are our prices more expensive? Its almost a little more than double.

3. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    @PikaManiac:

The MAIN difference is: Retail stores in Singapore defer to the distributors and manufacturers when it comes to product pricing. Hence, you'll always find them selling at MSRP as the base pricing.

In the US, it is the retail chains who are calling the shots. They dictate selling prices and it is the manufacturers who must accord to them if they want their business. And since retail chains like Walmart, Target etc are so much larger corporations than Hasbro, Bandai or whatever companies, well, you get the idea....

Basically, whoever has a greater talking power, wins. In Singapore, retail chains are small sizewise, compared to the manufacturers, hence our situation.

4. PikaManiac

Ah, I see. But still, how did a regular Power Rangers action figure jumped from $16.90 to $24.90 from 2009 to 2010. Its a freaking $8 increase in one year! You know the most ridiculous thing? Every end of the line, they will re - release the Power Rangers action figures again without their electronics and weapons and the retail price for those are $12.90. You mean we are paying an extra $12 for those annoying electronics light and sound and non show - accurate weapons? Ah well, I usually wait for clearance sale at 3 for $10.

Though, I fear we might have to pay $50 for a regular action figure in future...

5. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    Hey, you collect PR too? I used to. Puked when I saw the price for the figures went up to $24.90. That's just crazy!

6. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    So you've been "seeking" it for months, but refuse to pay more than $9.00 for it?

Words like nose, spite and face come to mind.

7. PikaManiac

Just the main ranger action figures when they are on clearance, the mecha I buy the Candy Toy version. Gonna stop collecting after this year, been collecting Candy Toy mechas from Gao Rangers to the current line. 10 years of Super Sentai enough already, because its never ending one and no time to build the mechas anyway, have tons of back log. >.<

8. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

$5 more than the usual price isn't THAT overpriced. I'd fork it over if it was something I wanted badly.

9. Buster_Witwicky

Buster_Witwicky ALL HAIL KORROK

Money, Dear Boy.

10. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I felt the same way about Terradive, but I sprung for the online order and paid the extra five bucks. I'm sure I could find him for less locally with a little perseverance. I just don't have the time I used to have to drive all around, like I did in the Alternators days. Got too much to do around the house.

11. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    While ago my target didn't have sidearm sideswipe, and hailstorm however i went by Kohls, and they had them for $15.99, so i decided to wait the next day, and sure enough they had them as well for the correct price.

12. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

Ain't that the truth. I was about to pay the extra for Terra, Toma, and WFC Megs, but something told me to hold out, and I ran into them the next day at Wal-Mart. But there are a few times in which I just said "screw it" and ordered online.

Alternators hunts were okay, because I had time and no kids to feed. But now, with two youngins', I have little to no spare time to go to the store spur-of-the-moment.

13. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I suspect this will be me too before too much longer. I'm being really selective for these lines, being patient and not spending more than I need to. We're buying a house in a few months so I'm sticking to figures that can fit into my current collection (Movie-verse) with a few odds and ends (Drift, WFC).

After we move, I'm pretty certain there will be much less time for hunting as there will probably be projects and (eventually) the pitter-patter of little feet. At that point, I'll probably be much more focused on other things and will start doing TF purchasing online.

Granted, as my collection is focused mainly on movie figures, I'll probably stop major collecting after DOTM...unless the Prime toys are really good. Then I'll transition to that being my main collection.