Why must Hasbro be so tight lipped about the smallest things?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rufus Prime, May 12, 2007.

1. Rufus Prime

Rufus Prime The Toy Maker

On occasion I have asked questions of the large company that brings us our favorite toy. And, in most instences, They are unable to answer the simplest questions, or elaborate to answer it in the fullest.

My reccent question was about the Classics Grimlock figure. I have never been able to find it in the stores in my surrounding area and was curious why I could only find it at a price double what it is worth online.

This is the message I sent, and the Hasbro responce...

Me:

To whom it may concern,

I have been waiting for a while to find the Classics Grimlock figure in
    stores, and have had no luck. Since I haven't been able to find it in stores, I
    looked on line, only to find it on a site not connected to any store for
    almost double of what it is worth. When I found this, I decided to look in the
    Hasbro toy shop. To my surprise, There wasn't even a listing of it. Can you
    please let me know why I have been having so much trouble finding this
    figure, and why it is not on your own site?

Thank you,

The Hasbro Rep:

Dear Customer,
    We apologize for the inconvenience, but TRANSFORMERS Classic Deluxe: GRIMLOCK Figure is not available at this time. We are unable to provide any additional stock availability information for this item.

Please check our Web site again in the near future for availability.

We greatly appreciate your business. If you have additional questions, please visit our website, HasbroToyShop.com, or contact our Customer Service Center via e-mail at CustomerService@HasbroToyShop.com or phone at 1-800-408-0052.

Sincerely,

HasbroToyShop.com Customer Service Center

Now I have more questions...

Why did Grimlock not come out with the rest of Wave 2?

If it is not "availible" why can I find it easy for an unfair price?

And...

Was I just unfortunate and missed it time in stores?

I know I probably won't see it in stores now that the movie figures are coming, so can anyone help me find on for a deccent price or will I have to resort to the 15 to 20 dollars That I have found it at?

Just a rant, thanks for listening, and helping if you can.

2. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Wow! My local Targets and Walmarts had loads of these at one time. You should ask around the boards, somebody could grab you one.

3. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was only one to a box for a short time.

$15 isn't so bad. It's only another $5.

4. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I snagged a bunch at a store several months back, tried to sell them at cost plus gas, no one wanted them then, so I returned them...

Too bad you weren't looking then, looks like you just missed the boat.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    There were some weird case assortments for wave 2 of the Classics. Some had Grimlock and Mirage, some just had Mirage. The cases that did have Grimlock had him shortpacked. It looked for awhile like Grimlock was going to be a really rare figure. But by the time wave 3 came out he was getting much more common, and once Ramjet and Cliffjumper were out you should have had no trouble finding him.

An online store with a bit of a mark-up is probably your best bet, but if you're lucky I'm sure you could find someone here on the boards who still has them in the area and can pick one up for you, probably for closer to the regular in-store price.

Oh, and never rely on Hasbro's customer service. All they're going to do is tell you what stores you can buy their toys in, even if your complaint is that you can't find it in any of them (I learned this during the red box Tracks fiasco).

6. Rufus Prime

Rufus Prime The Toy Maker

Thanks everyone. If anyone that happens to read this has one, let me know... otherwise, the internet it is. I did think it was weird that I could never find one, but all the targets, TRUs, and Walmarts in my area only had Rams and Cliffs. Very frustrating.

And you are right that it is only five bucks, but if I can save it... I have to try. At the right place, that is lunch man. :p 

7. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    and at even better places that is 2 hotdogs, a soda and a bag of chips.

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Believe me, dude, we are so spoonfed and coddled in this community by Hasbro. Go try being part of the Star Trek community for a while and see how much customer interaction, convention inclusion, corporate feedback and fan involvement Paramount offers.

9. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

As far as their customer service response goes...I know from experience with other companies that most e-mail responses are semi-automated. The customer service representative reads your e-mail, figures out which of the pre-programmed responses fits best, double-clicks on it to put it into their response, customizes it as needed, and hits "Send." That's it.

I'm going out shopping today (Mother's Day gift), so if I spot Grimlock, I might pick him up for you. If you end up not needing him, I'm sure someone else online will. I'm hoping to get my hands on Cliffjumper (the one I didn't get yet) and seekers for repainting purposes.

10. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

You mean like the time when they shut down every single Star Trek fansite? Man, that was awesome. (Kidding.) Seriously, they're crazy. In retrospect, I'm pleasantly surprised that Memory Alpha and Memory Beta are still alive and kicking. *knock on wood*

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Pretty much. That and the constant attempts to crackdown on any garage-kit merchandise that's sold as anything remotely resembling Star Trek material. Also, that whole "Well, we're Paramount, and since we're involved in producing a variety of television shows and movies and therefore better than any one of you Trekkies, we don't have to provide reasons for what we do" attitude.

Trust me - Hasbro has been throwing us dogs plenty of bones. I love seeing the occasional "leaked" image that's passed to us by a "trustworthy source." The homages, the classics, the alternators, etc... It's neat to see a company be so involved in demonstrating that, if nothing else, they're actually listening to fan demand.

12. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

I saw Grimlock only once in a store, about three weeks ago. I bought him.

That was at Target, and now all of their Classics figures are on clearance. All they have left are Mirage and Cliffjumper.

I still have never seen Jetfire in stores either.

And who would have thought Optimus Prime and Megatron would be shelf warmers?

13. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    They sent you an obvious form letter. I only saw classics grimlock a few times. He was available a HTS for a while. Like someone else said, there may be someone on the boards that can help if you ask.

14. Scraggin

Scraggin Banned

Hah, so lucky i grabbed him in a loose lot with Mirage before the demand became too high.

I still haven't seen it here in the UK, 5 months later.

Fucking ridiculous.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Hell, I've only ever seen grimlock once, and that was when I bought him. stupidest case assortment ever.

16. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ebay anyone?

17. Scraggin

Scraggin Banned

Urgh, I really hate Paramount. They've killed Trek. I mean, they have one of the most popular things EVER and they won't even bother to make a new series, and it's not even as if it's because they realised that their previous effort(enterprise) was sucky.

18. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    If you're interested, I have one MISB still.. i'd ask $12 + shipping (cost + tax/gas + shipping)

19. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Man, Paramount boggles the mind. I'll have to look that up, never knew there was such a dark side to the Trek fan-scene.

Yes, Hasbro's distribution does sometimes leave a little to be desired, but they have improved a lot since Energon had Ironhide warming the shelves and there were topics all summer long about the inability to find just about anything. The entire Powerlinx Battles were like goldust, I swear. Compared to whole waves of toys that were near impossible to find, one or two isn't that bad. Bad enough, but looking at it in perspective, it could be worse.

20. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Grimmy was warming the shelves around here up to a few days ago. Now it's just mirages and ramjets.

I do have an extra loose Grimmy listed in my For sale thread, down in Junkion.