Why must G1 Megatron be a gun?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Spider Striker, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

After all, if you think about it, a handgun for an alt mode doesn't make much sense for the leader of an army. Esepecially when he's supposed to be a commanding, terrifing engine of destruction.

So yeah, other than nostalga, what's the big deal?

Let the battle begin....
    :duel 

2. Larkin Vain

Larkin Vain Collector Reborn!

Well in the original series their alt forms were predetermined by teletran-1. If you are refering to the upcoming masterpeice toy, i beleive he should be a gun soley because that's what G1 megatron was.

As a child of the 80's Megatron's alt mode had incredible play value as the foating super size gun that when in gun mode he was able to concentrate all his energy to large powerful blasts.

3. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

Yeah i dopn't get the question. A g1 megatron must be a gun because g1 Megatron was a gun. Why must g1 Optimus Prime be a truck? Because g1 Optimus Prime was a truck.

I do agree that a gun is a silly alt mode and that in g1 he should have been a tank, but he wasn't so what ya gonna do?

4. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    G1 Megatron will always be rejected as anything but a gun. Any other version, people will be fine with, but if you call it 'G1' then people will demand he's a gun.

The Gun alt mode does make some sense, but could have been a lot better executed in the show, As Shockwave's gun mode was more like a turret.

Megatron from G1-BW has always had some kind of vehicle/alt mode that has a single area for dealing destruction at maximum power.

G1 Gun - Barrel
    G2 Tank - Turret
    Unreleased G2 Ver - Shoulder gatling cannon.
    Beast Wars V1 - T-rex mouth in both modes
    Beast Wars V2 - Tail in robot mode.
    Beast Wars V3 - Dragon Mouth in both modes
    Armada - Tank turret.

Energon, RiD and Cybertron are the only ones that dont have a particular weapon of destruction, as:-

RiD - With as many modes as he had, his main weapon seems to be fire breath as a dragon.
    Energon - He was mostly using a sword, or his Shoulder Cannons.
    Cybertron - Force Lightning + Fists.

5. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

G1 Megatron rocks. The gun mode makes so much sense.

so true.I mean, if you look from the eyes of an 8 years old, a toy gun is the ultimate toy. So combine a robot with a gun and you got a toy that will sell like bread. In the same breath one may ask why they made Shockwave a laser gun ? Both of them have to be carried by fellow Decepticons.

6. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    I have a question now. From what I've read on a couple different boards, people seem to accept Shockwave's gun mode over Megatron's. Shockwave's is apparently cool while Megatron's is silly. My question is why?

7. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    I dunno. Since the time I was really little, I thought that the leader of all that is evil in this world turning into a gun, putting himself in a position where he is utterly helpless without one of his untrustworthy associates, was really really stupid. I still this gun mode is really stupid.

That being said, Classics Megatron is so fun to play with! I do gun tricks!

8. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Shockwave can hover, fly, fire himself, and seems to act like a defense turret.
    Whereas Meg's would just fall on the ground, unless caught + fired by his troops.

9. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was wondering over that too but its probably because of the followinh reasons:

i) Shockwave could utilised it himself i.e. his alternate mode didn't need anyone to hold it.

ii) It was acceptable i.e. Shockwave's alternate mode was never an "Earth" mode.

The wacky thing is that in one of the Marvel comics, Megatron could "fly" around in gun mode like Shockwave in gun mode...if I remembered correctly?

Personally, I found the gun mode cool for Megatron because it was less common (other Decepticons could transform into tanks) and unique.

When G1 first came out, the Autobots were touted as the group that transformed solely into automobiles while the Decepticons "machines of war" (Seekers) and equipment (Soundwave).

10. Rquiem

Rquiem Dutchbot

News Credits:
    Strange, there are episodes in which Megs transforms and shoots himself.
    If i remember correct theres even a signature for the forums which is that exact scene/transformation!

I think he just needs to be held for fast fireing because he cant move himself. (seeing cartoon and marvel comics as different tf versions)

11. $5HotRod

Ebay:
    It was in the Action Force comics leading up to G2. He attacked a castle...I think it was Destro's...and he could fly and fire by himself. The only problem was that he was the size of a house, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why make yourself a rather large target when you can mass shift?

Was that the Autobot Spike episode?

Ok, now I'm gonna be a bit evil here. Do you think people's opinions of Megatron's alternate mode would be different if he could fire by himself and fly in gun mode on a consistent basis?

12. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Then again, whats more frightening than an evil-robot, an evil Robot holding a rifle with devastating firepower.

Plus, I dont think Megs would have a better alt mode if he could move + fire himself at will. He'd be really hard to take seriously, an Earth gun the size of a house flying round.

13. $5HotRod

Ebay:
    But what if he were small, like the size of a regular pistol that a human could hold. We've seen in the G1 comics that he still has enormous firepower when small. He took out a whole army platoon (which included tanks if I'm not mistaken) in one shot with power to spare. So now, a flying gun mode that can fire by himself and remained small. I would think that would be terrifying. A tiny terror that would be very hard to hit and can take you out in one shot? I'm finding it hard to think of something that's more terrifying except if it were invisible and could teleport.

14. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    If he was small, but from the clips where he does shoot himself, he is about the size of one and a half Bumblebees. If he were small, but still packed the same Firepower, he'd be unstoppable, as he has huge firepower, incredibly dense structure (all that robots gotta go somewhere).

Problem is, he was shown as having enough power to decimate stuff with one shot anyway, and generally his targets were either barely moving, or not moving at all, thus eliminating the need for moving.

15. $5HotRod

Ebay:
    But in the G1 comics during the whole story arc of him being a human-sized pistol, the human didn't pull the trigger. In the story, Megatron's higher brain functions were disabled from a severe fall and he basically did what the human told him to do. All the human did was say something like "fire!" or "blast him/them" and Megs fired the human pulling the trigger.

Right and I think herein lies the problem with how people perceive Megatron's gun mode. It's not necessarily the fact that he turned into a gun, it's the lousy portrayal of how his gun mode was used. Look at Shockwave and at what was just discussed. If Megatron had the abilities as described above and it showed him killing Autobots left and right during a raging battle, I think people's perception of his alternate mode would be quite different. I'm not 100% sure of that so this is all just speculation.

On a sidenote, he wouldn't be totally unstoppable. According to that coffee book on Transformers from Furman, Megs only has a limited number of shots. How many? I don't know but that could be incorporated so that the Autobots could last longer and grant them an opportunity to win without the classic 80's "supervillian dumbassery".

16. Blackabar

Blackabar Miserable glitches...

I, for one, have always liked alt modes that gave the bot other options…more speed, different attack options, special abilities, etc. It seems like being able to change into a gun that could be wielded by a fellow Transformer or a human (both seen in comics and cartoon) is an ability that takes some cleverness to take advantage of. Megatron did take advantage of this now and again, but not enough to prevent this discussion, unfortunately. I liked the application of his alt mode in one of the Marvel comics when he and the Insecticons took advantage of their diminutive alt modes and Bombshell’s cerebro shells to infiltrate and take over a dam…clever/interesting/different idea. Sadly, his reliance on the cerebro shell screwed him at the end.
    I’m in favor of the gun mode.

I like the tank idea, but not as much. Megatron is already quite a tank in robot form, but he punches, throws, and kicks you around while blasting you. It just doesn’t seem as useful as far as opening up more possibilities. How many times did Armada Megatron use his tank mode? I remember he used it in the subway…

17. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He needs to be a gun because that is what I want him to be, or I will not purchase him.

18. Rquiem

Rquiem Dutchbot

News Credits:
    You mean the fanbase that cant accept Starscream MP03 because of its colours? the same thats not openminded for optimus with(sometimes) a mouth in its rl movie?

19. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I'm not crazy about the original concept of making him a mass-shifting handgun, but the fact is that he WAS made a mass shifting handgun, and that's just what G1 Megatron IS. "Why" doesn't enter the picture for me.

20. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    In regard to Megatron having a limited number of shots, that usually doesnt come into effect, he's retreated long before that.

The problem with Megs Alt mode is that its an easy to exploit weakness. For example, when in the episode 'Autobot Spike' Spike is mowing the 'Cons down with Megs, Megatron can do little more than yell at him, it takes him a fair while to be able to escape.

Granted it can be really useful, but the Decepticons all have terrible aim anyway, so it doesnt matter how useful it could be.
    Just like Soundwave, Megs had an Alt mode with potential to be useful, and wasnt just for tricking stupid people.

Soundwave showed his skill of in the UK marvel G1 comics in 'Silent Scream' where he acted as a detonator for a bomb, and Blaster could do the same.

Unfortunately it seems that a Gun alt Mode was deemed useless by the time the movie rolled around, as both of the gun mode characters got killed off, and the only one that would ever use a gun form again would be Six-Shot, and I think he only used it once, ever.

Problem is, its impractical, and Meg's al mode suffered from this, he couldnt really fight alone in both modes, like the Seekers, or combaticons or whatever.

I would say a lot of Fans will never accept Megatron as Anything but a Handgun, but chances of it happening in a TV series again are little-to-none.

EDIT: Also, what kind of disguise is a Gun that is about the size of a car?