Why Mp Megatron Will Never Happen

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by anemis, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Plus he is the only major G1 Character not to get his old alt mode modernized...Hopefully the Classics line will address that. I think they could have made one into the Robot Masters line....but alas they didnt....Id even take an MP galvatron...SOmething that represents the G1 leader.

2. anemis

anemis Well-Known Member

well if you cant see that my "HOME MADE MASTERPIECE" can be mass produce i think you should take some engineering lessons since i will be mass producing it myself with absolutely no problems at all so it would be child,s play for hasbro/takara and by the way yes it is considered a masterpiece

3. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

What about the possibility of a Masterpiece Galvatron?

4. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I don't think anyone's contesting that it can be done from a design/engineering standpoint, but that it would be prohibitive to release in the U.S. Not all toy guns are illegal in all states. But Hasbro(/Takara...uh, /Tomy) would either have to compromise on the design in order to be able to release it nationwide, or remain excessively faithful to the original and not be able to sell it everywhere, which would be a logistical pain in the ass. Fans probably don't want the former and Hasbro likely doesn't want to do the latter.

All that aside, that custom of yours looks pretty sweet. If you are planning to mass produce them on some level, how much is one likely to cost?

5. XJunky

XJunky Howdy Ho Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Anemis is offering them for preorder on his website for $950 US + $25 US for shipping.

A bit steep, but considering all the work he put in, and the sweet ass job he did, I'd say it was worth it.

I just wish I could afford one :cry 

~X

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Takara isnt going to repaint MP Starscream over and over for the other jets. Why?

They'd fail, just like MP Magnus did. It's stupid to think that even this fandom would shell out 100 dollars each for 6 versions of the same mold.

They'll do a Megatron, I'm sure. If they're doing a G1 accurate gun-type Megatron, the design process is going to take a while.

7. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I would love a MP Megatron but as you say Hasbro wont do one and if only Takara did one..well Im not sure..if they made a limited edition of him might worked but the price would go up but I wouldent mind paying 150 for a Takara MP Megatron that was like limited to 2000 worldwide or something like that.

Im thinking about future MP, Starscream is a good choice becuase of all the other seekers they can do but I doubt they do all 6 Im guessing they do the 3 classic ones sinc that is just a repaint and no remolding, and I try to think of others they could use for the same way. but there arent that many that have the same form perhapps Smokescreen and Bluestreak and those but we hade so many of him as an alt. Besides I think a MP should be an importatn character that has a big part in the cartoon like Prime,Screamer, Soundwave, Galvatron , Cyclonus , Shockwave and so on.

8. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

That's spurious reasoning. I don;t see why anyone would think Thundercracker and Skywarp would fail. We've seen loads of people say how much they want these since we first heard about MP Starscream.

Ok, I wouldn;t buy a thrust, dirge, ramjet, or any other jobber seeker, but I would definitely get the original three...

9. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Why not? People shill out twice that for the E-hobby/'con exclusive whatevers Thrust and Ramjet rereleases..and even the equally limited Thundercracker, Skywarp and Dirge, who got domestic rereleases, usually top $100 easy.

Granted not everyone is chasing those and there's only so many to go around, less than MP-01 or 02 or likely 03 and beyond, but I think more than enough people would buy Thundercracker and Skywarp to justify straight repaints and arguably enough would buy tweaked versions/coneheads to justify their existence. Magnus 'failed' because it was a half-assed attempt to milk the mold for a version of Ultra Magnus that has no particular cache outside of one Dreamwave comic. Seekers would go over a tad better methinks.

10. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I'd pretty much assumed an MP Megs would have been out of the question.

11. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

MP Shockwave is doable because he's not a realistic gun. Due to the American nation being infested with paranoid soccer moms and the oversensationalizing of the media, MP Megs can't happen if Hasbro doesn't want to be sued.

If it does get done, some dumbass kid is going to bring his into school, have it stolen, then the thief will figure out how to transform it and wave it around threatening people. Or the aforementioned dumbass kid is going to transform it in front of his friends, some teacher is going to see it, pitch a spaz, and suspend the kid and confiscate/destroy the toy.

Although it would be nice to see a MP Megatron, it won't happen as a gun.

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

An MP sized gun Megatron would lead to a few kids possibly getting shot and killed.
    As much as I love to see on get made, it's just not worth those risks. Especially in todays world where guns are in too many wrong hands.
    Plus it makes G1 Megs that much more unique.

Having 3 MP size & quality seekers standing on my shelf in a row is definitely worth around $300 IMO, especally when you're used to paying a few hundred each for just one classic G1 brick.
    Have a feeling a few of them will turn out to be exclusives making even more complicated.
    Almost wished they would do a MP Skywarp & Thundercracker 2 pack (like they did with the Robotmasters) and sell it for $150.
    Then they'll probably throw a $300 limited edition tag on a Sunstorm afterwards

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    You also have to understand that Magnus is not as liked as the original seeker trio. TC and SW would sell well, any others would be medioker.

14. anemis

anemis Well-Known Member

that,s exactly what i was saying from the start !! they will defenitly do the 3 original seekers and possibly sunstorm and maybe the 3 other coneheads... just look at the impreza remolding they made !!! ok the price wont be the same but the principal is the same .... make as much you can with the same thing that,s the pattern they,ve followed and will follow again.... a megatron mold would be for well megatron !!! cannot be use for anything else !! that,s the logic that i think they follow...

as for the gun law in the us , takara could,nt care less just look at the re-issue of g1 megatron !!! that,s the perfect exemple ,they made it and no one has been bitchin about.. costs more since you have to import from japan....

and well the argument that it would be a toy gun and that kids could,nt play with it ... well i doubt allot of kids are remotly interested in g1 or alternators or masterpieces..... just us adults and that,s where the market is for mp megatron so let,s just drop the hole gun law issue.... i think it,s simply economics pure and simple....

15. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Starscream mold will be milked for at least the 3 original seekers. There's absolutely no reason for it not to be given that they need to recoup costs and that there isn't a TF line where this hasn't been the case. As others have pointed out it's already been done in the MP line.

I think a MP gun Megatron would be possible in Japan, but Hasbro will have their way and force Takara/Tomy to make him a tank or other item. At best they'll get two figures out of it as Megatron and Galvatron. I'd prefer a tank so that I could have them in alt modes right next to each other in some sort of similar scale.

16. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    well, they COULD repaint it as browning I suppose, or diaclone colors... *shrugs* I REALLLLLLLLY want a seeker fleet MP style.. and I'll break the bank to do it!

Andy

17. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

It's hard to really say what toys Takara would/should add to the Masterpiece line. Optimus and Starscream are great choices because they are not only memorable characters, but toys that can be improved upon. Also their alt modes arent easily dated.
    Megatron was a great Transformer, and a great character...but he had some problems. I accepted the mass shifting as a child...but now I find that to be a flaw. This is the same reason that many of the Transformers that originate from the Microman series wouldnt be the best choice in my opinion.
    The problem with adding g1 autobot cars to the Masterpiece line, is that their alt modes are so 80's ( dont get me wrong, I love those cars). Mainly, I think that the Alternator/Binaltech line kinda fills this role .
    Triple changers would be nice, but aren't quite as iconic. Plus they would be awfully complicated as a Masterpiece toy.
    I think a Masterpeice Bumblebee might be kinda cool. Sure the VW beetle is old, but its still a recognizable classic. Not to mention that a cliffjumper mod would be easy. A show accurate g1 Jetfire would be nice. Grimlock could be nice too. My bet is that we will see key players put into this line. Maybe a blowup doll of Sparkplug?
    All this being said I will buy any Masterpeice toy that is made. I look forward to whatever Takara makes.

18. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I think the REAL purpose of this thread was to try and sell a $950 :lol  custom toy. It's nice, but no way.

I'll wait until hastak makes one, thank you very much, even if they don't.

19. anemis

anemis Well-Known Member

have i even mentionned one time that i was making some for sale ? i think you,re getting ahead of yourself ... if i wanted to sale something i would have said it straight up not twist things like your doing right here... i would have started a thread called " mp megatron for sale "

20. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm, its interesting that a MP Megatron topic being brought up again and I do agree that Hasbro has restriction on releasing such a toy and its a good sign of social responsibility to its customers.

However, it doesn't mean that TakaraTommy will be bound by the same contraints...toy collecting is still a slightly different beast in Japan i.e. toys can be more geared to collectors.
    And trust me, basing on my observations of sales on Galaxy Force 'updates' of G1 characters, if G1 Megatron is released, he will be hot.

I would still prefer that MasterPiece Megatron be the G1 version as I consider the line to be a tribute to G1. If they can't release a G1 Megatron, then a MP Galvatron would do as well but...it won't be the same.

As for folks buying varients of the Seeker molds, I don't see that being an issue. Its well documented that toy collectors do buy varients. E.g. Yamato's Valks. They're basically the same mold just different colours and different head sculpts.

I do foresee, guys like us buying the varients. At least, the 3 original Seekers - Starscream, Thundercracker and Skywarp.