Why MISB?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Matty, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    This may be a random thought, but hey I figured I'd share with all of my fellow Transformers fans.

For the past 3 or 4 years I have been collecting my Transformers MISB. I really can't say how I got into MISB, it kinda just became a habit to keep my stuff in the box.

In the past week, I opened about 6 Universe figures. Although I felt a little guilty I will admit that I enjoyed it very much to display and play with some of the figures. Brought me back to the old days of playing with Beast Wars, G1, etc.

As I sit in my room now I look at my wall of MISB/MOSC Transformers and just wonder if I would regret opening them all in a matter of minutes. I have no intention of selling my Transformers or anything like that, so my question I ask to the MISB collectors (everyone else who opens their figures please post as well :thumbs2: ) Why should I keep my Transformers MISB?

How about some input? Thanks guys!

2. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I admit, some look really slick MISB, especially the bookstyle or Encore reissues, or anything with a bookstyle book (the Universe Special Editions, Music Label Soundwave, THS Prime). Those are some of the few figures I'd be tempted to buy again now and keep in the box just to display that way.

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I find toys more fun when played with than sitting looking at them in their box. Especially if its a toy that say..transforms (I mean, isn't most of the fun of a transformer..transforming it?).

4. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I love playing with my TFs in boxes. You can read the text, look at it and even pretend to play with it.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    A collection forever sealed is a collection never fully enjoyed.

6. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    I say break them free. What's the point of displaying a TRANSFORMER if it just stays sealed away in vehicle mode(most of them).

Couldn't have said it better myself.

7. davidarruda

davidarruda That one guy

i usually buy all my figures misb because i wanna have the joy of opening it

8. CowColor

CowColor Get Money™

Yeah same for me.

9. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like the look of them in the package (old and new). I also plan to sometimes turn some around for money later on down the road. That being said there are some that i pick up two of so i can open one. (or pick it up loose down the road)

10. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unless you're getting duplicates to leave sealed and MAYBE sell someday being a transformer collector and MISB really don't mix. Especially since the majority of them are packaged in alt modes.

11. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    After collecting for a while there's gotta be duplicates. Why open the same thing twice?

12. Rodimus83

Rodimus83 Autobot

Right now most of my collection is MISB/MOSC...but thats only because I really don't have any room to display...but if I had the space, I wouldn't hesitate to open every single one of my TFs!

13. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I open all my TFs. I tried to resist opening my SDCC Nemesis Prime...lasted about 2 days.
    I just don't see the point in leaving them in boxes.
    Really defeats the purpose. Collect boxes if the boxes are what appeal to you.
    Some TFs have amazing transformations that just beg to be messed with.
    If you are keeping Transformers in the box to resell later, you're not a collector...You're a Retailer.

14. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    If you like the look of a TF in a box then why not just print a picture of it in box?

15. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I think the MISB collecting thing is a bit like the Schrodinger's Cat paradox.

When you first get a Transformer, still in the box, it's nothing but exciting potential. It's not only new, it's PERFECT, as long as it remains in that box/card. The instant you open it, there will be the rush of excitement as you get to mess with it, but then quickly you notice problems... bad paint apps, less than satisfying transformation... and the more you play with it, the more it wears and ages, the less perfect it becomes. You can never put it back in that box again, it will never attain that level of 'perfection'. In fact, it may have never HAD it, but you only find that out after opening the box.

So, you collect MiSB, so that that exciting potential is always there. As long as the toy is entombed in that sealed box, it is PERFECT, even though it may or may not possess numerous flaws (Like, for instance, Black Zarak's Gold Plastic Syndrome). This eventually extends to the box itself, with AFA grading preserving the box as close to the state it was when it came off the shelf as possible.

It's like an attempt to freeze time at the moment when the collector found the toy on the shelf, and preserve it forever.

I dunno... my collecting has never been about archiving toys. I get them because I want to have them in my hands, to puzzle them out and get into the characters, warts, imperfections and all.

16. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i pretty much open any transformer thrown in my path :lolol  but right now i got a MISB animated voyager optimus prime and deluxe jazz, for repaint fodder, and since i got two open specimens of them already i don't got the need to open them....but i do get the urge at least once a week lol

17. TheFallen

TheFallen Megatronus

News Credits:
    I tried the same thing but I could only last 10 minutes. I'm going to try to wait to open new TFs to extend the excitement of getting new TFs.

18. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I've never been a big MISB guy, but recently I picked up a G1 Mirage in a sealed box, although the box isn't completely mint. But I have to say its like owning a piece of history so I'm keeping it sealed.

19. CowColor

CowColor Get Money™

I think the MISB are just for the real collectors, they want it untouched.

20. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I'm much more of a MIB guy, bit I've got a few MISB things. I purposely buy doubles every now and then, such as TRU Soundwave. Most of my TFC/Hasbro reissues and E-hobby guys are still MISB. I prefer the look of boxed toys but I still want to be able to futz with them, so it's MIB for most. Most of my '84-85 G1 is MIB at this point. But it's not like Tigertrack or Anime Astrotrain does anything I haven't seen before so they stay MISB.