Why military involvement actually makes sense

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by transformervic1, Aug 1, 2012.

1. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    Alot of people complained that the autobots should not need our military(or NEST) to help whoop some decepticon ass but there's one thing that everyone seems to forget: these are the only autobots on earth vs a never ending decepticon army. Seriously, how do you think they lost cybertron in the first place? If the autobots had no human military allies i'm pretty sure they would be scrap by the end of movie 2 (example: Ironhide, although had big guns, could barely hold off bonecrusher's clone and a few drones while telling sam to head for the pillars. I'm also pretty sure without military help, devastator would screw all of them(skids and mudflap fought him but it appears devs was completely intact. Also in DOTM, one soldier fired a missle that sent Sentinel packing when Bee and Swipe could barely even touch him, including Optimus couldn't even touch him until he was weak!) It actually adds to realism IMO, contrary to what everyone else thinks. Sure there are some balance issues here and there but all 3 movies show that the military cant handle their own against cons without the bots, and vise versa for the bots.

2. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

The main advantage of the Decepticons is often stated to be superior numbers; they can swarm the hell out of a little team of 'Bots.

With the humans, the Autobots aren't outnumbered anymore; they essentially have around seven billion little friends, and millions of those billions are soldiers. This is best shown when the soldiers fought Scorponok; when the team fail to kill him, two assault jets are called in. When they fail to kill Scorpy, a massive gunship is called in, which successfully thrashes Scorpy into retreat.

Ants will pile onto a crab, little birdies will swarm an owl, chimps will throw stones at leopards; if you can't beat them one-on-one, get your friends and swarm their shit.

3. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I understand that the military needs to be featured in these films but what I hate is entire scenes being devoted to them at the expense of the autobots. The whole scene where they skydive into Chicago was totally lame and I would've much rather see the autobots battle Shockwave and The Driller. I also hated how a bunch of foot soliders could shread Shockwave and a bunch of Decepticons to pieces.

4. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

They had help from the wreckers, and really, even tons of soldiers plus the wreckers didn't do the job with Shockwave. They needed Optimus to finish up or else they'd probably be shooting another half hour or so.

5. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:
    I agree.

6. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    I know TF4 will most likely center around NEST soldiers as well but please, Bay.... Leave like 2 hours worth of screentime for Cybertronians. I don't hate Lennox or Epps or Simmons but this is TRANSFORMERS, not CALL OF DUTY.

7. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

2 hours of transformers would require about 7 forests of tree money.

8. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

Yeah. Animated the Transformers is really really expensive. Which is why they often aren't around when stuff isn't exploding. And when they are they mostly just stand around in the background barely moving. And why they spend alot of time just sitting around in car mode, because it's alot cheaper to wheel the cars on set than it is to animate an Autobot just standing there.

9. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Why does military involvement make sense? Because they're fighting on Earth...where our military is.

10. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Actors and stuntmen are cheaper than CGI.

11. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why military involvement actually makes sense?

Because there is no way the U.S. Armed Forces are just gonna stand by and let anybody, not even the Decepticons, f*** up America let alone the rest of the world!

12. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Human military retaliating against alien invaders makes sense, it's exactly what you'd expect to happen if it where real. The problem is there is soooo much focus on the military -- in basically EVERY alien invasion movie EVER -- that it takes away from the whole reason you went to the movie in the first place: in this case, the Transformers.
    There's also the rather dubious glorifying of war in order to entice people to join the military, but that's neither here nor there...

While I enjoy Eps and Lennox and their comrades, I'd much rather be seeing the bots doing stuff.

13. C16

C16 Space Nomad

They only "need" the humans because they're written into needing them. They could have written it any other way and there would have been little to no military screen presence.

Just because it's shown a certain way on the screen doesn't mean it was the only way for it to happen.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Okay here's the huge problem right off the top. You are attempting to combine movies and sense. Think how short things like a horror movie would be if the characters showed just a tiny bit of sense. Movies thrive off of things that only make sense in the world of movie making. You know like getting the eagles to just drop the One Ring into the volcano instead of having the hobbits slog it there on foot with their short little legs.

Plus sense is mind numbly boring. Logically some cop could have just shot the Joker because he's not bullet proof, but it's a better story if Batman is the only one that can stop him. Instead of the cops, SHIELD and the military unload on the alien invasion it's more fun to watch a handful of Avengers save the day.

Let's say they make a Justice League movie. Do you want to see Superman stop Lex Luther or do you want the cops to just come in arrest him because that makes more sense than a hero with all sorts of cool powers stopping him and the Legion of Doom?

The problem the Transformers films have is that other than Prime to kill the Fallen it doesn't feel like the Autobots are even needed. All the humans have to do is throw more firepower at the Decepticons so the Autobots could take the week off and the Decepticons would still be stopped by the overwhelming power human weaponry has over the Decepticons.

15. Flatline

Flatline Well-Known Member

+1

16. a-town

a-town Well-Known Member

really like this post

17. Mudflap2011

Mudflap2011 Soldier

And Ironhide and Ratchet got their asses handed to them by Starscream in the 1st movie

18. Alooulla

Alooulla Decepticon

I have never objected to the human military featuring. On the contrary, i was absolutely delighted at the presence of the SAS in movie 2. I also recall in beast wars, megatron saying the Autobots defeated the Decepticons thanks to the interference of humans, so its not exactly a purely movie phenomenon.

Where i DO object is that the cons should be slightly more powerful than they actually are so the humans and Autobots have to struggle and fight harder than they actually appear to do. The balance was about right in movie 1.

19. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

the only good human solders are Epps and Lenex the best senes with mitary in volvement are the "final" battle in the frist one and the Eygept battle in roft oh and sshanghi was cool too but they make senes humans wont let any one not even gint evil robots attack the plantet and get away with it

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Agreed. Plus the military is too invincible. I like that in Godzilla that the military can't do anything to Godzilla or the monsters. Makes the Autobot seem more important. I rather have the government fund them and find soldiers to have the Autobots station with as their civilian vehicles to keep up the RID.