why marvel? why!

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by deathsheadx, Jan 17, 2006.

1. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

now please letsnot argue over the skills and personality of the writers

but wtf?

they replaced claremont, on marvels highest selling xbook with brubaker...its highest!

its not like it was doing poorly and had dropped like xmen did after morrison left in fact it was the 9th highesr selling title last month if i remember right... this makes no sense...

whith stuff like this going on its becoming harder and harder to comit to comics

2. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Maybe contractual reasons? Also, Brubaker is very popular right now (Captain America, he's picking up Daredevil from Bendis in February). Putting him on X-Men makes sense; Marvel wants their new favorite to work some of his magic on the mutants.

3. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

At this point, almost anything is better than Claremont (Except "The End", that fucking rocks)

4. deathsheadx

i have nothing on brubaker on an xtitle but i cant see any contractual reason to remove claremont from uncanny, he's still working on excaliber, if his stuff was not selling i could see it but it is selling it is in the top ten and without crossovers and event comics would be top 5 most likely, yet he's booted? i'll be even more confused if milligan stays dispite this happening to claremont...

its not sound business. i mean sure there will be a sales hike but once brubaker leaves it will drop back down thats the way it always is...joe q cant be that desperate for a sales boost can he? heck why wasnt brubaker offered xmen? if they expect his name to sell more numbers surely thats a comic that needs it more?

5. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

what be better is if whedon stayed for longer then a year but bru is a close second.

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    It's probably because with Whedon's Astonishing X-Men on a bi-monthly basis and, at best, only 12 more issues to go, Marvel needs an X-Men book that can be a more reliable flagship.

I was a bit annoyed when I first heard about this, too. But let's face it, Claremont just isn't putting out anything near his old standard of quality. Even though we get the occasional gem like Season of the Witch, it's still surrounded by mediocre crap like the Savage Land arc and the Mojo two-parter. Get some fresh talent on the book and keep Claremont working on Imaginary Stories like X-Men: The End.

Meanwhile, Deadly Genesis is going along quite well. Brubaker obviously knows his X-Men history, and he seems to have some interesting ideas for new stories. I'm actually behind this change.

(Please note that my opinion will do a complete 180 if Brubaker does anything to harm my beloved Rachel Summers. :p )

7. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

oo... i may have to add Uncanny to my list then

8. Edge

I think claremont is still a good writer, the only problem is he has told all the x stories that are in him. He can always go and find a new charecter or something just he's out of x-men stories that are good

9. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sad to see Claremont go...but Brubaker has been churning out some pretty awesome stuff lately, so hopefully it'll all work out.

10. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

Finally...

Claremont ruled 25 years ago but his stuff the last five years has stunk. Good riddance I say.

11. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I accept the chage for one reason. Brubacker actually has me subscribed to Cpatain America, a character I honestly can't stand and am enjoying more than almost any other book.

Clearmont on the other hand has me avoiding almost anything he writes. The only reason I am getting The End is because I already got the first book and want to know what happens.

12. deathsheadx

*sigh* you had to do that didnt you Wreckgar?

look this isnt about who we like better or why we read which comics.

i dont want to get into a fight over differing opinions

this thread was about a seemingly illogical decision.

unncanny xmen = current top selling x book
    uncanny xmen = written by claremont

if its selling well, is their top selling book, why get rid of claremont?

i would be asking exactly the same question if they took bendis of new avengers, and i hate new avengers...

i'm trying to understand the logic behind the change.

in my mind since xmen, which during morrisons run was selling by the bucket loads is not doing as well, wouldnt logic dictate that changing the writer on xmen would be a better idea?

thats what this thread is about. i dint create this tread proclaiming that one writer is better than another or i hate writer x, or rant and rave saying how only CC should write uncanny etc etc yet people cant seem to get past that point. they came in not to discuss the possible reasons why the change over happened but to tell everybody why they're glad its happening. or how CC is old hat and brubakers gonna rock.

i'm not down with that.

like it or not CC was doing something right Uncanny was selling and this wasnt a post about personal opinions of the man. so please lets not make it one.

13. Edge

It could be for all we know claremont doesnt want to write it any more or it could be something else no big

and everyone has an opnion and were allowed to say ours as long as its in a civilized manor and has a point to it, no big deal.

14. deathsheadx

edge thank you.

the first part of your response is what i was looking for.

as to the second half i have nothing against opinions

i have opinions.

what ticked me off is when the opinion has nothing to really do with the thread.

how does claremont sucks! or brubaker is gonna suck pertain to the question being asked: why did marvel do it.

15. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

This is one thing I keep meaning to ask you. Why do you always call him "Clearmont"?

16. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

I'm really disappointed, as I like Claremonts stuff.

But Brubacker isn't bad.

And as long as it isnt Chuck Austen.

17. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Apparently Brubaker really likes Rachel Summers. So odds are he won't do anything bad to her. my only reservation is gone. Welcome aboard, Ed. :D 

18. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Because when I first started reading I kept writing it like that and just can't break the habit. When tlaking about a Saber, I do the same thing and put Sabre because I grew up a Buffalo Sabres fan.

As for you deathsheadx, I honestly had no intention of starting another argument. I just said that while I don't read anything Claremont except The End, Brubacker has me hooked on anything he writes.

And yes, Uncanny is doing well at the top 10-15 range. X-Men is at 15-20. However Astonishing was always in the top 10 and usually closer to the top 5. I don't know why the change came about. However looking back, even during Austen's run, the book was still in the top 10-15 range. It really never moves around significantly unless a lot of one shots or exclusives come out. Check it out.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/1850.html

19. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

If you look at the sales stats for december (Thanks Wreck) it begs the question, when was the last time you saw 5 DC books in the top ten? And when have you seen Avengers out selling any X-Men book. You have too look at it like this, Marvel wants to generate some buzz to get people to check out Uncanny, and by extention, the other X-books, and this switch does that. And I disagree about not bringing up what people think of writters. Thats the heart of this matter. People have the impression that Claremont is out of touch and his best stuff is behind him, and hence wont look at his stuff, even if it has been stellar. While on the other hand, Brubaker has been getting more people checking out his stuff. So from a business stand point, you know that the loyal readers of the Uncanny book arent going anywhere, but with the current writer, your not getting anymore. So you take the new hottness, stick him on the writing, and you get instant buzz, plus you pick up more readers who go into the shop and see his name on the book and go, "Oooo Brubakers writing it now? Now that Claremont is gone I'll pick this up!"
    At least thats what I figure is going thru marvels head.
    Then again, Claremont might have gotten Marvels panties in a twist. :D 

20. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i'm am sorry...but i do not like the Captain America comic..so that means another title is getting dropped...