Why Japanese voices are better

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Discussion' started by Funky Munky, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Thats still mandarin. Heres the Optimus Megs fight in cantonese (though its not the one I have wierdly).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Actually, compared to the other Chinese Soundwave clip, this one I don't mind. Singing Soundwave ain't a terrible idea to me.

Except English is the original language for the Transformers...

3. Sorrow Six Star

Sorrow Six Star 3 2 1 Countach!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i like that last bit there. XD

I'm just picking a little by the way.

but they say this because it's their opinion. and it's valid that they have one whether you and i agree or not.

4. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    And I understand but honestly, I can't stand most Japanese-voiced anime. A lot of the characters, especially the women, usually have high-pitched voices. I just can't take the show seriously when I'm watching subs. But nit-picking aside, Soul Eater (ever watched it?) is better in Japanese if you ask me. The only one that bothers me is Marie; she's like, in her 40s, but she sounds like a little girl lol.

5. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    I dislike dubs. This is from a guy who watches a lot of anime and has learned Japanese for a while. The Japanese in their programs speak as they would naturally when displaying any kind of emotion. If the character demands that the shout vehemently then they will do so. I hate dub acting because it sounds so fake watch an episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX or Bakugan and just listen. The voices are so fake and unnatural. People generally don't sound like that.

So yeah, Japanese VO all the way. I'm watching Dragon Ball Kai in Japanese right now.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    ...Good GOD, that's epic. If I ever put Soundwave in Redemption, I'm going with that voice.

7. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ

News Credits:
    Mandarian Soundwave is epic. Chinese scene featured above sounds like their having tea and not fighting an epic war.

8. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Not to sound like a jerk, but mentioning Yu-Gi-Oh! in this dub/sub talk is just silly. We are talking about a terrible show and even worse dub. Not all dubs are that horrendous. If you want to talk about a "serious" anime, go for Escaflowne. Now that show has a bad English dub track. Apart from a few VAs, the rest sound out of place. Heck, Inuyasha certainly doesn't have an amazing English Dub (looking at you Kagome).

So if we are going to bash some English dubs, let's bash some legitimate anime shows.

9. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Or you could talk about good dubs, like Samurai Pizza Cats.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Mandaran Soundwave FTW!!!!!!

Personally i never got the whole deal between dubs vs subs. I perfer dubs because why the hell would i honestly read a tv show or movie. I thought Gurren Lagann, DBZ, Digimon had some great or decent dubbing. Hell i even like the Transformers cybertron's dub but that's mostly because they A.) Tried harder with quality and B. I never saw Galaxy Force before at that point.

11. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    You would want to "read" a TV or movie because you are getting a more genuine experience instead of it being dubbed by people who clearly have to overly simplify everything and fuck up both the context and the translation.

I would always rather watch something in it's native language with subtitles than a half assed dub. Multi-tasking isn't hard.

Edit - I will say I'm not a fan of fan-subs either. Replacing the words damn or oh no! wth shit and fuck just becuase you think it's "cool", is awful.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  12. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I usually prefer to watch something in its original language, which for Transformers is in English. You know that cold, emotionless, feeling you get from anime dubs? The bare minimum of reading the script on one breath? The reason that people hate English dubbed anime? That was EXACTLY the same feeling I got from those Japanese dub clips of TFTM.

I can recognize acting talent when I see/hear it, but I just want to put out there that the average anime has acting that isn't much better than the average cartoon. Something I've noticed in the Japanese style of acting (live acting, voice acting, videogames, etc) is that emotions are REALLY EXAGGERATED. People don't confess their love, they SCREAM it. People don't swear revenge unless their veins are popping out. It's too intense, and I don't mean this in a good way.

13. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I half expect mandarin soundy to go FIGARO FIGARO FIGAROOOOOOO

14. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Mandarin Soundwave could wake me up every morning from now on. :D 

Japanese voices can be fun....especially when they take the emotion and meaning being carried across what is being shown on screen or animated. But some are just flippin epic, such as:

YouTube - Buildron Combine Transformers Energon/Super Link

15. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol 

16. TFcollecterguy

TFcollecterguy Well-Known Member

That was bad.

17. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Sure, there are good ones out there. Been years since I watched Samurai Pizza Cats. Another decent/good English dub is Vandread IMO. Sure, there are some awkward moments, but it is generally a very smooth dub.

18. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    If I'd seen this version first, I wouldn't have cried so much when all my favorite characters were killed. I would have been laughing too hard.

19. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:

That is the title... "Cosmic Rust"

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  20. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    FLCL, Abenobashi, Xamd, and Azumanga Daioh are good, too.