WHY is there a Galvatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MegaMoonMan, Feb 5, 2006.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    As far as I know, almost every TF series has Megs turn into Galvatron. Why is this? Prime never changes into anybody else, he's always just Prime.

Is it some sort of storytelling technique? Some kind of lesson on the changing face of evil? Or is it just a way for them to sell us more repaints?

2. Shokaract

Shokaract Banned

I think it served a purpose in G1, but lately it seems to be just for repaints.

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    In G1, they just used the "Megs changing" to explain the new toy. Rather than having him die and be replaced. The newer series do it so they won't lose the rights to the Galvatron name. Because Megs and Galvy are such beloved characters from G1, they want to preserve both names for possible use in the future. If they don't use the name, they loose it.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's pretty much just because it happened in G1. No other reason beyond that.

5. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Whatever the reason is at least were getting some great repaints out of it :D  The Energon and Cybertron repaints have turned out so much better then the original Megs paints :thumb 

6. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I would think they could go at least one series without loosing it though.

7. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Galvatron=more toys to sell.

8. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

Cuz, Galvatron pwns you. Chump

9. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, Galvatron most likely won't be in the Classic series or in the movie, so there you go, NB.

Galvatron in G1 was more popular than Rodimus, because kids knew Megatron already. "Megatron, only more so;" was a quote used in the UK comics referring to him. I always liked the idea of Galvatron being the end conclusion of Megatron's ambition and lust for power, costing him his sanity. Even when Galvatron has been recycled nearly every series since the Beast era, it's a strong theme. Power corrupts. Kids need to learn this, especially in today's world.

10. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    in terms of characterization, i like the idea that galvy is not merely a souped up megs, but also enlightened.

megs was single minded: conquest, decimation of opponent.

galvy: who cares abt this world, when you can be a god. its a different level of evil.

11. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Because of the great repaints of Galvatron of the last 2 series I am seriously thinking about getting them and selling the Megs. To me Galvy is a must have in every series because let's face it Megs don't have as much gimmick as Prime and it also help hasbro sells more toys.

12. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Okay, beyond name saving by Has/Tak. My humble theory: Perhaps Galvatron is symbolic of true evil. With the curroption of power for selfishness you lose your own soul. In Megatron's case, even your name. By contrast, power used selflessly is. . .well, Prime. Optimus/Convoy's purpose doesn't change except to purify the soul, often represented by the translucent and clear colors of the "Super Prime" as seen more often in the Japanese lines, Car Robots, the Crystal Convoys, and lately the EX-02 Sonic Convoy. Hasbro often recolors Optimus Prime too but they don't follow through with the clear/translucent plactics. This threory also breaks down regarding the dark Transformers. No rule seems to govern all the dark Transformers, except that they are all dark. :D 

13. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed

Ebay:
    In the G-1 toyline it was a new toy and they used the movie to tie Megatron to Galvatron. But now its just toy designers on a budget and stuck in a rut.

14. Neomarsala

Neomarsala Transform and Roll Out

I would like to see a series where Galvatron is actually a separate character from Megatron. He could gather his own group of Decepticons and create his own faction aimed at destroying both Optimus Prime and Megatron. Prime and Megs could eventually join forces to battle Galvatron. Megs could even turn out to be somewhat of an honorable character this time(sacrificing himself to save the universe or something). Perhaps there could be some kind of revelation at the end of the series about who Galvatron really is(because he needs to be more than just some Decepticon who decided to upstage Megatron). In any case it would be a great excuse for Galvatron to get his own unique mold for the first time since G1.

15. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well said.

Are you watching Hasbro??? That infers a DIFFERENT TOY as well.

Rid, Armada, Energon,Cybertron. It's about time Galvatron was a seperate entity and toy from Megatron.

Come on, we DARE you.

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

He fits the old formula that the the main villain just is'nt enough. They need to Metamorph them into even more badass versions of themselves. Videogames has done it forever. It's sets a climiatic feeling between long seasonal wars. It's would almost be dissapointing if they did all that fighting, just for Prime to take him out quickly. Evil leaders need to grow and set their examples of their goals for power. The same ol threat can get old and lose it's bite. He would'nt be very threatening if he never recieved his power upgrade while Prime get's 50 upgrades per season. Got to keep the Autobots afraid of something.
    Plus Megs is'nt going to just sit around and let the bots get tougher. He's going to evolve any way he can for that ultimate power which Megatron has originally desired from the start.
    It's nice to see the villains who desire power actually obtain it, so they can unleash even more chaos that reminds us why they're leading in the first place.

That's just me trying to justify it though, the sad truth is he's probably just a marketing tool to help sell the 'villain' toy. Since goodguy toys are usually more popular with kids. He's another reason to get some Cons sold.

17. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    That's a laugh, considering how the Geewuners loooove it whenever there's another homage repaint released. Personally, I think designers would love more freedom to make original characters. At least, I *want* to give them that benefit of the doubt. It's Monday, I'm in an optimistic mood. :D 

18. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    My concept on Galvatron, which I'll use if I ever actually get around to writing that fanfic, is that he is the truest form of Megatron, that Megatron is somehow an intermediary stage between his original form, and the final form.
    Though, what I would love to see would be a series where Megatron and Galvatron are both servants of a bigger evil, and Megatron is defeated mid series, to be replaced by Galvatron. Then maybe for the final arc Galvatron is defeated too, but he and Megatron are resurrected with the ability to merge. Think about it. Not only are both there, but also, they are different guys, and their merger gives an extra threat at the end.
    Hmmm, I think I'll hold onto that one, too.

19. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed

Ebay:
    Don't worry, Tuesday's just around the corner and then you'll be depressed.

I agree with an earlier post though. I would love to see the designers "reinvent" they toyline. I think they go with what's working because it sells a ton of toys. But if they took and really went through did a design makeup from the ground up then I think they would have some exciting results.

20. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe we should Ask Vector Prime :) 

-Tony!