Why is the RID line so cheap?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DELTAsnake, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena CyberCon is #1! Veteran

News Credits:
    This is the main reason why RID, at least the vast majority of the figures, still sells for at or below retail. Whoever wanted it at the time got it. While the show was a bit lacking, it had its moments. The toys were absolutely fantastic, though. Some of the best to date in my opinion.

2. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

RID Primeis the only RID I have got him for pretty cheap from the Juckion. Ialso have Cybertron Ultra Magnus wich Igot at my local Comic Shop at a good deal too. Those are the only ones I wanted to make Omega Prime.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Yeah, this is what I was going to say. So I agree with you. CR/RID was really hot when they hit and pretty much anyone who was into them bought them all in 2000-2002. Personaly speaking I've pretty much rung that line dry myself. Not much left for me to get except the more elusive (expensive)pieces. Beyond that it's just packaging variations like getting the single carded versions of Build King and JRX to go along with my boxset versions. Also the closed box version of Super Fire Convoy vs. the Window Box which I have.

Most notable ones I still need...

Clear Super God Fire Convoy (TRU Exclusive)
    Clear Jusco Spy Changers x6
    Super rare red Clear AI Chan
    ... and that orginal beast thing that was part of the RID line. Don't recall it's name. Menasor or Rampage perhaps?

That's really a very small list considering how big the line was. Plus that's from both the US and Japanese lines.

Car Robots was really the return to the concepts that many fans love, and missed during the BW era. So when these lines hit, alot of us went nuts and got it all. So now they are pretty cheap on ebay because demand is low for most of them. It's damn painful to see how much some of these guys sell for, especially the CR figures. See, I paid alot to get these imported, like 3 to 4 times the japanese price and to see them go for so cheap brings a tear to my eye. :( 

4. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Because only chumps like Tony_Bacala collect the line. :D 

5. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I think the beast you are talking about is Bruticus.

I remember the days back when I first found this site. Car Robots was out and R.I.D. was soon to be announced. It was a time when you could skip a week or two and still be up to date on all things Transformers when you returned. I never visited the boards just the front page. The times sure have changed.

6. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    It pretty much boiled down to who got better releases. Since the car brothers were all over the place, as the spy changers, they don't fetch a whole lot. Prime and Magnus tend to vary, and their repaints actually fetch less on most occasions. Scourge wasn't released widely and therefore fetches more. And you basically have three Ruination paints to choose from, but I can't remember if they made a boxed set for the original RID release of it.

One of these days I'm gonna have to track down every repaint of that mold. One day....

7. Dista

Dista Old Skool Crackhead

I love these toys. I have more or less all of them, including the rare variants.

And yeah, they are worth less now than when I purchased them (I remember the spike on Black Convoy too), but I think some of the molds in this series were really fantastic. A shame Armada came next, because that pushed me completely out of the hobby for the most part!

8. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Prime and Magnus were $40 at the time of release.

The issue with those toys was that WalMart and Target had them on clearance for $20 for a really long time.

TRU clearanced them out at $35.

The prices aren't increasing because there was an abundance of these toys out there. Nothing was particularly hard to find. Even when RiD was going on clearance, major retailers were still getting full cases brought in.

I bought almost every deluxe for 4 or 5 bucks. Hell, even KB had good sales on these. I got Megatron and Galvatron for $12.50.

(I have purchase records kept in excell. Nerdy, yes...practical for insurance purposes, hell yes.)

9. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I *still* find RID toys in shops in Athens these days, namely a white Prowl here and there, Prime and Magnus and the orange constructicon thing. Their prices are what they had to be 7 years ago-15 euros for deluxes and 40 euros for Prime\Magnus.

Got my RID Megatron from BBTS a couple of years ago at retail [20 USD].

The line is still in demand today, though, something that can't be said for Armada\Energon to an extent.

10. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Right....

Have you seen the prices on BBTS for AEC toys?

proof of demand is there dude...

Just browse through some of the sold out items and see how much they were bought for.