Why is the RID line so cheap?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DELTAsnake, Jan 27, 2008.

1. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    I just won a sealed RID Prime and sealed RID Magnus for $50 Australian each. The same seller had a RID Ruination set again, sealed, for only $40. Where as a new Leader Class cost $100. And I noticed the US eBay is also cheap place for RID.

What makes the RID line so cheap on eBay when the other serise like G1, Alts and movie are so expensive?

2. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    G1 = Almost anything G1 is expensiv atleast if you go vintage. Reissues and exclusiv still costa bit to. the love and collecting of G1 stuff is 1000 times greater then RID.

Alts: Be´st Transformers out there to many ppl and are aimed at older collectors. I myself prefer BT ( jap versiosn of Alts with die cast)

Movie: Well..its movie stuff its hyped up.

I like the RID stuff but I limit myself to G1 because there is so darn much and that is the show and character that WAS my childhood.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    You aren't really comparing apples to apples. It's cheap relative to the other things available in your country, but in reality, it held its value pretty well, if not gained value in some cases.

In the US, RID is one of the most expensive of the modern series (at least from what I've seen)... And Prime/Magnus retailed for $20 here in the US (at least where I shopped), half a leader. So in reality, you pretty much paid retail, relative to today's standards.

Hooray relativity!

4. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

^^ What he said; it depends where you are. I recall a couple of MISB RID UM going for about $50 each on eBay a couple of weeks ago; funny part was the CR GodMagus only went for about $35.

5. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Prime and Magnus didn't originally go for $20 at retail; it was double that, if I recall. Those two could easily be found as the line was concluding for $20 on clearance in a lot of stores. As for the prices, it has taken quite awhile for some of the RiD figures to edge upwards in value. If the prices of the other figures are relatively cheap still, there's really only one reason: they're not in demand.

6. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure they were $20 around here...

EDIT: A little digging says they were priced as Supers... I'm pretty sure that means $30, like RID Scourge.

7. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Dont forgett the Trains..the Trains MISb today can still go for a bit.

8. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

Hey man that is a problem for you?, don't worry I've got some rid's for sale very expensive! :D 

9. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Correct. RiD was the last line to use the size class standards that were used from the beginning of Beast Wars until the end of RiD.

Basic - $5 (Brief stint at the beginning of Beast Machines had them at $7 like today, but that was quickly fixed)
    Deluxe - $10
    Mega - $15 (this class ended with Armada's beginning)
    Ultra - $20 (We now call these Voyagers)
    Super - $30 (This point also ceased to exist with Armada, we now have the ~$25 Ultra class in it's place, and the Leader class yet another step up from there)
    Supreme - $50 (still have these as of Cybertron)

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Scourge is pretty expensive too isn't he? Since he was an exclusive, yeah?

11. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Nowadays he goes for around $50 sealed. Black Convoy (his Asian counterpart) goes for around $30 sealed. It really depends on who's looking that week, though.

12. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I guess it's all relative. I personally do not like RID. I hated the show and for the most part the toys left me unimpressed. A few are doing well as far as the secondary market. I can still get Ruination, the car brothers, and even most of the Decepticons cheap. The trains jumped up for some reason. Repaints of RID seem to do better. I think because there was a great abundance of RID and much less of the repaints. Of course most of the repaints were store exclusives so they would be limited (or so we are told).
    Overall, I am impressed that they are worth anything after this time. If you remember Beast Wars dropped to almost nothing and as of lately gone up in value. I am a little bias based on my opinion of the toys and the show.
    If you are going to collect them get them now while they are relative cheap

13. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hmm, if RiD is supposed to be cheap, anyone has white Prowl for sale? Why can't I find stuff at junkion once I seriously start looking...

For the record Car Robot toys in general fetch good price in Japan except for Spychangers. Black Convoy costs more in Japan than in the US ($40+). Weird.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  14. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I think one of the reasons is Car Robots/RID came out when the Internet Transformers Community as we know it was forming. Most of the collectors out there have what they want from this line, and some people don't care fr them.

Me I Love RID. If I was not cutting back and condensing my collection I would have a lot more.

15. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    go with what is hot right now. G-1 is the back bone so it will be hot. The boot legs are making collecting that stuff very difficult.

Reissues are kinda like getting a "stamped" remake of the original. You know it is legit. RID, Armada, Cybertron. The shows and the toys really weren't all that great. Lord knows I can't get close to what I paid for the RID stuff I want to unload.

16. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

That sounds correct. Prime was definitely more than $20.

17. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Got $130 for mine back in October :D 

18. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've been fortunate enough to get the RID stuff I wanted at decent prices- Car brothers about $5 each, Prime and UM for $20 each, Scourge about $25, and the trains for $30. Mostly mint in open box, but good deals all around. I think it has to do with the ol' standby of supply and demand. Quite a few of these toys are easy tom come by, without as much demand as, say, G1.

-Tony!

19. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Wait. What now? So the UK got cheated even more than normal? They were £40 retail each which is $80 in the US. And we normally just take the dollars sign and change it to a pound sign. Thats ridiculous.

20. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    IIRC, OP and Magnus were priced at something like €60 here, which was about $70-$80 at the time. Which is why I never got them - they didn't seem worth it.