Why is the IDW continuity considered G1?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by RonG, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

that is not correct.
    while having similarities,The marvel continuity has no real connection to the cartoon continuity.
    And as a point of fact, the marvel continuity predates that of the cartoon, in other words the comics were released before the cartoon aired.

2. Altered Prime

The cast of the G1 Marvel U.S. and Marvel U.K. comics were not always the same, likewise can be said about the g1 toon ,not to mention that the characterizations differed greatly in some cases.

the same between them and the interpretations of the characters tend to differ as well.

3. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Just a thought but does IDW deserve to be seen as more or less G1ish that the Autobots and Decepticons that exist in a comic that has the same essential origin as a previous comic or cartoon but puts it in a earlier time period or involves other characters like Gi Joe or Cobra.

No one says World War 2 like Dragon Wagon Optimus Prime is "G1" as far as I know - but if the usual prime had woke up earlier he could have been (Cobra aside).

Yet the main distinction (other than constant revisionism and wonky art design) with IDW is that it's set later (i.e. not the 80's).

If the Characters were more consistant with my original understanding of them more often i'd be more accepting of the IDW universe than I am I suspect - but it's that the Characters are not like I see them to be that throws me out of my suspension of disbelief and out of enjoyment of the stories.

The Beast Wars (Gaiden) stuff was close enough in tone to pass (aside from the bad dialogue) but even that was perhaps me looking at it through rose tinted specs as it was "New Beast Wars".

I think the problem I notice most about IDW is that they do something almost every month that really pisses someone off.

This month it's been Rattrap "Ruined forever" type comments I've been noticing.

But to me no - it's not G1 any more than Transformers Cybertron is. (which incidentally even with a middling Translations captures the feel of Transformers more than most things for me) and less of the anime sillyness of Energon spoiling it.

4. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thisthisthisthisthisthisthisthis

G1 fiction is based primarily on a highly idiosyncratic 1984-1990 toyline.

As if there weren't enough to go on, Maximum Dinobots kind of nailed that coffin lid down when the Monsterbots showed up with their exact membership, appearances, and personas.

5. TF14

TF14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Idw is G1 because a recent club story declared it a primax universe

6. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    It seems that the only real problem here is the G1 folk don't like anything to touch their G1.

7. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

And yet we have to suck it up when G1 gets the homage spotlight.

8. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

It's clearly shades of gray, where cartoon g1, marvel g1, and idw g1 are so extremely close in so many ways (relative to all other iterations of transformers) that pretending they are different in a similar sense as TFP (or whatever else) is silly by any but the most pointlessly-strict interpretation.

9. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

So IDW is not tied to the G1 Comics?

10. Altered Prime

IDW's ongoing comics, like RID and MTMTE , are g1 comics offically.

But those books have no continuity connection to the the IDW Re-Gen books, nor do they have a connection to either the G1 US or UK marvel comics, or the dreamwave g1 comics, The Blackthorn g1 comics or any others I am missing.

11. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    (Other than ReGen 1 is a continuation of the original 80), no more than the original comics were connected to the original show.

12. gregles

gregles quintesson

Given that this fandom really struggles to agree on a definition of what is and isn't G1, it seems doubtful that the answers to the initial question will get an absolute answer.

If these comics are G1 I want it to be in a loose way, that still allows the people making the comics to have as much creative freedom as possible to give us something fresh and new. I know this ambiguous way of looking at this will once in a while piss off the odd person stuck in their G1 ways, but in the nicest possible way f*ck'em they can just re-watch their G1 DVD's or re-read their G1 comics if they just want the same thing over and over again.

13. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    It's a version of G1, because it has the same characters. Nothing else is important.

And it's the best G1. I loved the Sunbow cartoon. It was the way to go for me. But NOW. IDW is best.

14. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Just think of it as a reboot of G1

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think I've viewed it as such too. That works for me.

16. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    Hmm...Wouldn't we possibly look at -Ations/AHM-Chaos as IDW G1, and post war as IDW G2? ;) 

17. TF14

TF14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well Sideswipe was sporting his g2 colors in DoOP

18. TheSpartanD

TheSpartanD Minicon Orphanage Owner

Especially as it's explicitly stated to be a reboot by IDW in the style of Ultimate Marvel.

19. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Here's another way to think of it-a band. It was an awesome band back in the 80s. After they split up, a bunch of cover bands popped up. Not the original band, but still cool music. IDW is the band getting back together, but they've added an extra drummer, a new bass guitarist. Same guys. Different era and a couple of other differences. But same band.

20. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    the Marvel Comic was the original G1 not the Sunbow cartoon