Why is TF: The Movie just so much better than everything else?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Seabringer, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Seabringer

Seabringer D34dp00l's H34dm4st3r

Seriously that movie was just so ****in awesome, then everything after it was just sub-par. I wish they would release some type of animated movie in the same adult-themed vein. Just anything, because I haven't seen a good TF show in years.

I try not to recognize the recent movies as legit TF movies. Just my opinion.

2. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    You haven't seen Beast Wars, Beast Machines, or Animated then?

It could be it was 'awesome' because it was more or less true to the characters we already knew and loved...and it was the most obnoxiously neon bright hand-drawn animated film ever. :D  Plus, the subpar animation of Season 3 made it look better than it actually was.

--Moony

3. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Well, it is a very good movie, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's better than any TF media after it just because G1 Season 3 wasn't that good. Beast Wars, Animated, even some of Beast Machines is pretty good media after G1. If you've already watched through Beast Wars and the other series, you could try watching the Japanese series, like BWII and BWN.

4. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I think it's an underrated animated classic. It real shakes up the status quo of G1.

5. B-Fox

B-Fox Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see this thread dying a quick, flaming death thanks to the title being a broad statement treated as fact. And it kind of comes off as an attempt at trolling, especially that "I try not to recognize the recent movies as legit TF movies" bit. You may not like them but they are indeed legit Transformers movies and there's no changing that fact. They're yet another new continuity. Business as usual in TF land.

I for one like the The Tranformers: The Movie, but is it really "so much better than everything else?" Got to disagree on that one. If it was less about episodic planet-hopping and forcefully removing beloved characters for new toys at the very beginning, I'd probably love the thing to death.

6. Seabringer

Hey, you want to turn this into something about me not liking the Bay TF movies, fine. But I footnoted my statement saying it was my opinion, how is that trolling? I'm just wondering how nobody can see how popular the animated movie was and not want something similar?
    I hate what modern TF has become and I yearn for the classic version I guess.

7. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    watch animated and beast wars if you want greatness tv show wise

8. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Because change is bad and not changing will keep the brand alive and successful for many years.

On a less sarcastic note, you're getting a FREAKING CLASSICS BLUDGEON through ROTF. That HAS to count for SOMETHING.

9. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Dying a quick, ignominious death in the theater is hardly 'popular'. It only endured because of being broadcast and the advent of the home VCR.

--Moony

10. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Honestly I don't think that Bludgeon fits well with the Classics/Universe molds. As for the movie? I'd have to agree about the drastic elimination of characters instead of having them rebuilt ala Goldbug as one of the few peeves I have. That, and Rodimus Prime. Brrrrr

11. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  12. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Movie was great but I wouldn't call everything that came after sub-par. I never got into Beast Wars but everyone on here says it's the greatest, and Animated was super good especially Transwarped.

13. AximusPrime

AximusPrime Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    With all due respect, TF:TM's popularity is more of a cult following amongst the TF fan community than anything else. And even then, not every single fan within the community holds it in high regards. As much as I personally enjoy the movie for what it is (a piece of TF history and part of my childhood), I would never want to see anything like that again due to all that was wrong with it. You had characters that people cared about over the course of two years killed off unceremoniously within the first half hour of the movie alone, new characters that gave us no reason to give a shit about, the surviving cast from the first two seasons were handled badly or were thrown into the background to never do anything usefull ever again, a plot device (Matrix) that we were to just accept that it had been there all along, and many other problems. And to top it off, TF:TM bombed at the box office. I'm pretty sure the financial hit Hasbro took had a lot to do why the subsequent seasons following the movie were of a much poorer quality than the first two seasons.

14. Seabringer

I understand people's issues with the killing off of characters. In the end, most deaths weren't necessary, but it made the movie that much more EPIC when compared to everything else. This movie was serious business and they produced it to be that way.

When I watch the cartoon I sometimes get the feeling of watching a toy commercial. TF:TM does not make me feel that way at all. I just wanted the toys because they were bad asses in the movie. The movie was 100x better characterized than the cartoon series ever was, IMO.

15. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Your initial statement is so flawed that it is impossible to argue it. By any objective measure, TFTM is an absolute MESS of a film. Don't get me wrong, I love it for what it is, and in part FOR its ridiculousness, but it is a bad, bad film.

16. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Please, for your own sake, watch Beast Wars or Transformers Animated. . . then come back and "yearn for [a] classic version."

Did you grow up watching the TV show? I don't think you understand at all what killing off a character like Optimus Prime did to not only the franchise but every little kid's heart.

And I understand this is your opinion, but it's probably no coincidence that Transformers was damn near lost a short while after the movie came out. Now I liked the movie, but it was almost the ending of Transformers in America.

17. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

You haven't watched it in a while, have you? They have a dance party.

I loved it when I was younger..in fact once I discovered it (I was only 2 when it came out and only found it later on VHS when I was around 7) I rented and watched it so many times that my parents forbade me from getting it anymore. But as a 25 year old adult...the only thing it has going for it is an awesome autobot city battle and nostalgia.

18. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    That's the one moment in the whole movie that still makes me cringe years later. If I'm watching it with anyone who's never seen it before, I always feel I should apologise for making them watch that particular scene.

19. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

Every scene in which the Dinobots appear, save for their first 15 second fight against devastator, is equally cringe-worthy. Then they play a weird-al song about being stupid, introduce a kid robot who rhymes everything, grimlock gets a kiss, Slag farts, they share ridiculous old war stories, robots hit on each other....ugh. It's just horrifying.

Dance. Party. lol

20. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Don't forget Grimlock blushing.

Don't get me wrong, it's a film I enjoy watching and have fond memories of - but I won't kid myself into thinking it's a classic piece of cinema.