Why is Takara Legends Blurr so ridiculously overpriced?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BB Shockwave, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Permanently Retired (1984-2020)

I have an answer for this, since I studied this while trying to find a way to get what I want for cheap. I ended up lucking out on Brainstorm (which is his "Masterforce Wars" era version), as demand on him has increased even more after the introduction of the "Headmasters era" in Transformers Legends.

- You have your rare pieces: "LG02" Optimus Primal (Convoy), "LG09" Brainstorm, and "LG12" Windblade.

Pretty much... The rare pieces earned this because of age, increased demand, and other factors if the rumors are true. The high demand pieces factor in why the fans want them, along with the impact it has on both TakaraTomy and the secondary market.

- You have your high demand pieces that have received reissues: "LG10" Arcee.

- You have your high demanded pieces that are demanding high prices: "LG25" Blurr.

And in Blurr's case, the fact he is series accurate in color (despite being the official update to the JG1 character) shot up demand on an international scale. As opposed to Arcee, who was a much demanded figure (but this one is not officially her). So much that one secondary market placed his value at $50-$75 range during the pre-order stages.

But if you are lucky, and in Japan, the primary market may still have him for around $20 (before tax). (I am basing this on the sole Toys"R"Us photo I had taken on my birthday.)

Other than that, some import shops will get more stock. If not, the immediate demand may force TakaraTomy to reissue him before they begin the next stage of their series.

2. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
  3. bonewire

bonewire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's called supply and demand, Takara decided to have their version of Blurr to look like Blurr. Hasbro decided to have theirs look toy accurate. Which is really means no paint apps. This reminds me of the dinobot that came out a few years ago. Hasbro used a purple and yellow color scheme. The Takara one is worth a small fortune. Unless Takara makes a second run or Hasbro decides to release it the price will just go up.

4. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    I didn't pay the secondary price. I got Blurr cheap, but I had to preorder it. Like I said, the usual preorders at Amazon Japan went REALLY fast. The previous Hardhead, et al, sold out in regular shops in the WEEKEND they came out. I saw Galvatron at "Robot Robot" in Tokyo and got him for slightly more than they were selling at yamada Denki (a friend showed me a photo on the day) and i thought I would wait for the next weekend to get hardhead and Skullcruncher. However, they had sold out EVERYWHERE that had normal prices. Th eonly places that had them were the ones charging almost double for the price, including pre-order Amazon scalpers and shops that usually overprice their toys (like Yamashiroya in Ueno). That's what has probably happened to Blurr.

5. Automorpher

News Credits:
    In case you boys are still on the look out for him, there's this Seller who's based in China offloading a batch on eBay currently.

Prices is by far the lowest on eBay.

6. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Permanently Retired (1984-2020)

And you gave me another reason to dislike the fact that I had to leave Japan. :lol 

But yeah... If I do recall, "LG25" Blurr was the last pre-order I needed. And he was one of the few rare chances I had to take because somebody decided to cancel their pre-order. He came nearly a month late, but he came. So my guess is that there was shipment issue with this character inside Japan, which has some sellers taking advantage. While outside of Japan, his value shot up simply because of the CHUG collectors.

Either way, I am wondering if his value will shoot up like "LG22" Skull did, according to Plamoya Japan.

I never buy from China, and feel sorry for the honest sellers that reside there. But cases like this, one has to wonder where they got their stock. But, to each their own.

7. beularnum8

beularnum8 Well-Known Member

Takara Blurr is amazing :) 

I don't usually hold off so long for a figure and often don't mind having the Hasbro version, but the T Blurr is so much better done if you are after a cartoon representation. If someone usually not bothered has gone after the Takara version i dare say lots more have to, and its now pretty hard to find one. Hence the price. Look at the Combiner Wars limbs over the past few months, people late to the party wanting the wave 1 limbs have received a shock when ebay suggests paying £40+ for one. :) 

8. Rockdown

Rockdown Dream Commander

Ebay:
    One has to be fast as Blurr to scoop up dem figures early, bruv.

9. Ragnar

Ragnar Fun with G1

Ebay:
    Legends Wheelie dropped into my TFS stack last week, which was around the date of your message. Hopefully yours has done the same by now.

I wasn't paying much attention to TR Blurr during the first round of pre-orders since I hadn't yet seen pics of Hasbro's Blurr, and I didn't realize the two deccos would be so different. Fortunately, I was able to pre-order TR Blurr from HLJ during a small window when additional pre-orders were made available. He's still sitting in Japan in my private warehouse, waiting for me to order something else so I can hopefully save on shipping.

10. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

It's probably really good that I'm not interested in Blurr or I would be tearing my hair out trying to find the Takara version. Instead, I'm tearing my hair out looking for Legends Skullcruncher.

11. matrixprime

matrixprime Just a guy who likes toys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Transformers Legends - LG22: Skullcruncher

12. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

• Like Like x 1
  13. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Found this one, so far the best I can find, 48$ with free shipping. :( 
    TAKARA TOMY TRANSFORMERS LEGENDS LG 25 BLURR ACTION FIGURE IN STOCK

Don't really think that is a reason why he and Scourge just cannot be found loose. Hardhead and Skullcruncher can be found for 27-30$ with free shipping, loose. Did the factory had a crackdown before Blurr and Scourge could be smuggled out by the chinese sellers' inside men?

14. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

I wonder if it's the same person I bought mine from a few days ago....

I got him for $42 with free shipping. Still pricey, but EASILY the best prices I've seen so far.

15. Automorpher

News Credits:
    With Sellers from China coming in with their stocks for Legends Blurr, we're seeing a sharp drop in his selling price. I remembered he was easily between USD $55 to USD $60 previously.

16. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For a deluxe, which cost around 32$ max in Europe (and there are webshops that sell them for 4$ less) that's a rather ridiculous price still. Better than the 55-60$ before, but still not good.
    Problem is, there is no guarantee this will ever go lower. I have been burned with Henkei Dinobot and Smokescreen this way, not wanting to pay 50-60$ only for them to go up to 80-90$ years later. :( 

17. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Including shipping I paid less than what TR Blurr would cost in stores. Not actually overpriced. You are just too late.

18. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So how is it that Scourge is the same price, yet not many people seem to be openly trying to get the Takara version - or at least I haven't seen anyone talking about that toy being too expensive? And boxed Hardheads and Skullcrunchers also go for the same 45$ or above price.

19. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Scourge is not quite as solid a mold and while his deco is better than the TR Deluxe its not as night-and-day as Blurr. The blockhhead, while fine by me, is a detractor for many from any version of that mold.

Blurr has the combined factors of being the best new mold in TR wave one, executing the mandated gimmick effectively in a way that's fun without affecting mold accuracy, being a 1986 character at a time when the movie is in an exceptional amount of vogue, more than usual inside and outside of the fandom, because of its 30th anniversary, having a premium deco that makes Hasbro's look outright inferior, and already being limited in availability at domestic retail because he's an import.

That's scalpers' paradise/aftermarket consumers' misery stew, I tell you hwat.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That does not answer the question as to why he is still the same price as Blurr on Ebay. Consistently.

Yes, because you guys in the USA have no +27% tax on things. We do. And HLJ orders always get caught by customs. That's why I did not preorder from there - since Chinese sellers are more than willing to ship items as Gift.