why is starscream second in command?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Crazy Ramjetty, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

seriously, why? in every series (well except shattered glass) he's a treachorous coward, he'll try to kill megatron but when things start to go in megatron's favour he doesn't stick with the assault and he begs for mercy which he does not deserve. this was especially true in g1. in prime he's weak and pathetic and can't gain loyalty from the decepticons at all. in the unicron trilogy he betrayed megatron several times in armada, why oh why is he second in command in energon and cybertron? why doesn't megatron/galvatron just kill him? in the movieverse he shows no leadership skills and is really just a bully. I'm not even sure if animated starscream should have been second in command, he pretended to be too much of a butt kisser and was rather weak in comparison to megatron and didn't do the best job at assuring the decepticon's loyalty. shockwave and soundwave would have made far better second in commands

2. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Starscream is a cocky bastard in G1. Though he may have his cowardly moments when looking down Megatron's canon, he's way over-confident when fighting the Autobots. Lots of times Megatron has to call Starscream back and order him to withdraw from a fight. Look no further than "Divide and Conquer."

3. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Sometimes I wonder why Starscream is Second in command. I mean he doesn't look Second Commandish.

Now Shockwave would have been better.

4. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Or Soundwave,aw hell Skywarp would've even been better at second in command.

5. Lazerwave

News Credits:

I wanted to say him too, but I thought you all might think I'm nuts, because a Communications bot as Second in Command?

6. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

he knows all and sees all, makes a damn good second in command if you ask me, he's also more loyal and he knows how to run an operation (his recordicons) he's also just a lot more tougher than starscream

7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Don't under estimate Starscream; he'll make you his bitch.

8. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Sometimes I've wished he was Second in Command instead of Starscream.

I mean when I was young, before I knew Starscream was next in line, I've always thought Soundwave was it.

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    In G1, he was one of the only Decepticons crazy enough to try to defy Megatron. I think by keeping Starscream as the 2nd in command, the leash Megs kept him on was extremely short. Also, Starscream was ruthless to the other Decepticons much like Megatron. Someone as power-hungry as Screamer also knows how to position himself at the best moments to get what he wants. Coincidence that he was crowed Deception leader in TF:TM? I doubt it . . . .

10. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For 10 seconds.

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    If you read Starscream's original G1 bio, you will clearly see why he made second in command. He can mop the floor with most Autobots and Decepticons, barring of course powerhouses like Optimus, Megatron, Grimlock and Shockwave, and his arrogance is meant to be one of his few weaknesses. The whole 'Starscream is a coward and a weakling' thing stemmed from his inaccurate portrayal in the Sunbow G1 cartoon, which has unfortunately stuck.

12. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like to think that Starscream is so incredibly good at what he does as an air warrior, that Megatron almost has no choice but to keep him around no matter how much he'd like to destroy him. Obviously that is based off nothing except my own personal wish considering how Screamer is always portrayed in the official cannons :p 

13. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What better way to keep your game at its best than to have someone willing to challenge it on a regular basis?

14. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Don't forget animated. He gave the Autobots a good spanking when the Elite Guards made their first appearance on earth. He took out Ultra Magnus.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  15. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    In more recent continuity, Megatron needed air-support when he was making his power-play, and Starscream was in charge of the seekers. I like to think SS sacrificed a seeker to Shockwave to reverse engineer flight-tech too.

In G1 continuity, Christ knows.

16. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    I've always thought of Soundwave being the real second in command, although he lets Screamer think he is.

That being said, I still think he's up there on merit too, he definitely is a force to be reckoned with. There are very few that would want to anger Megatron once, let alone niggle at him every chance they get.

17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Because he has a real purdy mouth.

18. DC2k5

DC2k5 Well-Known Member

Easiest to put his most scheming and power hungry soldier directly under him.
    That way, those Decepticons that try to work their way up the ranks by deposing those above them hit Starscream first.
    And Starscream isn't about to go quietly or easily.

Megatron only has to worry about one individual lurking in the shadows, and that's Starscream. While Starscream has to watch out for everyone else.

19. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

20. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I believe one of our resident jokers says it best with something along the lines of creepy fanart in 3, 2, 1...