Why is Shattered Glass so frowned upon?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by FanimusMaximus, May 23, 2012.

1. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now first of all, I am a fan of the whole Shattered Glass concept. I find this different take on the Transformers Universe interesting and invigorating.
    With recent threads I have seen it seems to me that Shattered Glass is not particully favored in the Transformers fandom.
    Personally I don't see why most TF fans don't like it I have to ask. What makes Shattered Glass so bad to be this generally despised?

2. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like it too, but some TF fans are very vocal against it too. Part of the reason might be most of the fiction and toys are club exclusives, thus limiting their availability to the mass market. I think it just gives Fun Pub some place to play in that's not going to be used by some other fiction licensee like IDW.

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Probably because FP had so many great molds at their disposal that could have been used to make a GREAT set, and instead they made a rehash of 2008's concept with some classics and a shoehorned Overlord. And made another version of SG Optimus Prime (making him the second exclusive character to get multiple toys from Botcon, the first being the original G2 Breakdown).

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    From a business perspective, I think it's a brilliant move and completely understand it's use, but from a fiction perspective I find it lazy and unoriginal, both in concept and execution. I can see why some people love it, but I'm not one of them.

5. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought it was a cool idea, but just got a little bored with the concept after a while

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Stale.

7. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Hey wouldn't it be cool if the good guys were bad and the bad guys were good?!"

No. No it wouldn't. It's boring.

8. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I love alternate reality stories, but it always seemed lame to me that EVERY Autobot was evil and EVERY Decepticon was good. How the hell does that happen?

Just seems kind of lazy to me.

9. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I find it generally uninteresting because it's all just the characters we already know, but not the "real" versions of the characters we already know. I want stories about the real version of the characters.

-ZacWilliam, I'm sure you could do a good story with it but so far my indifference to backwards everybody has been far stronger than their use of the cliche set-up...

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Bingo. I don't have anything against it except that it's a waste of an opportunity to do something more interesting and creative. There's a reason Star Trek never had too many "Mirror Mirror" episodes, even across several decades.

11. Computron34

Computron34 Always Tired

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Because......well......look at my signature.

12. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz I LIVE

News Credits:
    I'm trying to fix it! In my comic t4mercustomz: shattered glass. I'm doing 2 things
    1.making it more than repaints
    2. Using figures that don't cost 800$
    I love shattered glass. It's something I like and if funpub can't make it look cool than I will

13. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    While cool, imagine, for a moment, if instead of:

Kickover, we got Chromedome?
    Treadshot, we got Nightbeat?
    Optimus, we got Scourge?
    Magnus, we got Toxitron?
    Soundwave, we got a properly colored Soundwave? or even Trailbreaker? Skids?
    Tracks, we got a more Road Rage-y head?

Thats personally what bugs me about SG. Not to mention a whole second swarm of Junkions.

14. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Opposite versions of characters is fun, but being simply pallet swaps is just boring. If reverse-Straxus is a poet, why is his alt. mode a self-propelled howitzer? Why are the reverse-Decepticons still "Decepticons", not something a little less shifty sounding?

15. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I liked it at first, but it's just become so stale.

16. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Because people want their convention toys to be things the rest of the fandom wants but can't have. It's no fun having guys nobody is suffering without.

17. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 GATTAI Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    i loved the idea at first. then they started over using it.

EDIT: i also agree with Ss02V. it's no fun if others aren't suffering

18. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Becaude people whine that its not geewun. I personally love it and have taken to adaptng fireburst prime, cyberfire bee, and dotm red ironhide as all shattered glass.

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Exactly. It was cool and different for one Botcon box set, but it's completely boring now. Move on, FunPub.

20. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Beats me. I don't understand where the "overused" complaint comes in, because there's hardly any SG fiction and the "official" consclusive toys are still outnumbered by the "sure why not" repurposed toys...meaning, it's not exactly a big toyline either.

Some SG characters are totally lame (looking at you Tracks) but most are pretty fun and are more than just "reverse opposite." I think the amount of SG we are getting is just about right, and I approve of consolidating SG and Classics as the "multiversal" club story going forward.

I think TFW2005 as a community is slightly more toy-obsessed than certain other aspects of the fandom, and there are obviously people who get really irritated when a toy is redecoed as "itself in another guys colors" as opposed to tortured into "some other guy from the late '80s that originally looked nothing like this." But I just don't get upset over the "missed opportunity" when an SG toy comes out (more like "I don't collect much SG, MONEY SAVED HURRAH").

I also don't see Diaclone/eHobby redecos as being inherently more interesting than SG, and considering the cost of retooling there will always be some redecos. Also, SG totally sidesteps the "You made someone too cool and now I can't get it!" backlash. If you're interested in SG, you're probably already a club member.

SG is a fun little Transformers niche, and there's nothing wrong with that at all.