Why is scalping only accepted during Botcon time?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by megatroptimus, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    See? That's OK. The bid, not the BIN. You started it at for what you paid for it, and there's nothing wrong with that. But if you had started the bidding at $500 or just left it at a $500 BIN, that's scalping.

2. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

I don't like exclusives - it means that most fans that want them will never get them, and not everyone can afford to go to Botcon - you have to consider that $50-60 for a deluxe toy is kind of insane, there are other things to buy, their priority drops because of price, but not how much they're wanted. It's sad.

I was looking at the Protoforms today, and was thinking they'd be PERFECT. They're shelfwarming like crazy - but imagine them as an exclusive? They'd be a cool idea everyone would want.

Obviously new moulds are difficult to impossible, but something along those lines, such as the BW Cybertron set, is what they should be doing - stuff people want but don't need to complete a set. Some people just refuse to understand this in their blind support for Botcon. Yes, stuff people NEED might attract more people- but is that fair? What if Leader OP was only available at botcon? How would you feel then? I honestly want a Thundercracker MORE than I want a Leader Prime - and a lot of people do, since the Voyager is nicer anyway IMO.

I do hate botcon scalpers since they raise the after market value of them. I also wonder if Hasbro loves this happening because expensive sets makes TFs in general seem more "worth it" and collectable than they really are.

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Edit: nevermind...

4. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    in couple of weeks nobody is going to give a rats ass anyways, this is pointless.

5. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

d00d, they're like, exclusives and stuff.

I hate scalping as much as the next guy, but when we're talking about con exclusives, it's a little different.

6. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Which bagged set cost $179? All of them?

7. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

The loose bagged non-attendee set

8. Kristof

Kristof Well-Known Member

All exclusives should die, period.

Everything should be available everywhere. Be it online stores(HasbroToyShop), Wal-Mart, Target, Toys R Us, other big box stores, and privately owned stores(toy/comic/hobby shops).

9. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just one question about that, if you limit it to where one thing sells at a certain place (ex. MP Starscream) then it's still an exclusive

10. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a double standard centered around an elitist mentality.

11. Kristof

Yes, and I am completely against any kind of exclusivity to any store, con, or any other event/place. All items should be available to all retailers(and wholesalers), period.

12. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    But what do we do when the retailers dont WANT the items? Keep in mind the Titaniums have been cancelled and the Seacons have never touched the shelves because the retailers werent interested. Sad to say, but we dont decide what gets sold, they do.

13. 03Mach1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But some items are not wanted by certain retailers. Hence, without the exclusive, we as collector's would never see the item. In this case, I'll take what I can get. But an exclusive whose numbers fall far below demand only creater greater separation of the fandom.

14. Kristof

The retailers will have the last say on ordering a product, yes that is correct.

However if you limit that product to only one or two companies you severely limit the overall profitability of that product. Remember Hasbro makes money when the retailers/wholesalers buy their product, not the end consumer. So whether the product sells on the shelves or not, Hasbro still makes their money.

15. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yeah, but in the case of most store exclusives Hasbro has offered it to everyone for the most part and everone has said 'No thanks" except for one. In some cases sometimes a retailer will come along and say I want an exclusive, but that's not the usual circumstance.

16. 03Mach1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why would Hasbro limit the number of stores that want to buy their product? They wouldn't unless the retailer will pay a premium to carry a product. Most exclusives are determined by the store, not Hasbro. If Hasbro had it their way, I'm sure all stores would buy everything they cranked out. But unfortunately for us, it just doesn't work that way.

17. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I want Classics Thundercracker. I'm willing to pay upwards of $40 or more for something that is nothing more then a repaint of a $10 retail toy. That's a 400+% increase in it's 'retail' price, and I am willing to pay that for no other reason then the simple fact that I want it. And that is why 'scalping' thrives.

Also, btw...anyone willing to sell their Classics Thundercracker for $40? >_>

18. Kristof

Which begs the question, is it really worth the premium price the store in question is willing to pay to make a toy exclusive instead of a wide release in the long run?

19. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Is there any conclusive word on the production run on the attendee-only stuff? Are they sold out yet? Some of the auctions on Ebay toss out the 1400 number with regards to those...but that would mean they produced as many of them as they did the guys in the main set (1,050 boxed + 400 bagged). Seems...unlikely...when the last two years' attendee sets got about a third of that. OTOH...there's a shitton of auctions on Ebay already and the damn thing isn't even over yet. Seems like there's waaay more than the last couple of years, for attendee and non-attendee figs alike, and that's just evidently via the people with laptops. There'll be another surge next week when everybody else gets home. As with anything else (PS3 anyone?), gotta strike while the gettin's good.

I'm keeping an eye on Ebay, but I'm not about to dive in and try and get them the first friggin' weekend. Prices are always nuts right out of the gate, and they always come down..er, with the exception of Ratchet and Megs. I don't expect to get them at cost, but if you wait it out, you can get them at a fairly reasonable price compared to their cost at the show. Shit man, the BINs for Springer/Huffer have been sliced in half in two days. Not much longer and you can probably get them for under $100...compared to what? $65 or so at the show? That ain't nothin'. The seekers are the ones that are most likely to stay up there. All the rest are going to be reasonably affordable after a time.

20. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    botcon website says 1400 LE. "limited edition"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.