Why is scalping only accepted during Botcon time?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by megatroptimus, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Just wondering why scalping is only okay during Botcon time? Dude X screams to death when he sees someone selling an '08 BB on Ebay for $40 the day he finds one (the toy being rare at that time), yet Dude X has no problem reselling extra freebies he got at Botcon for $150 or other toys for 5-10 times what he paid to acquire them. Extra sets should be forbidden at Botcon and only be sold through HTS after Botcon. I'm all for exclusives, but I'm totally against scalpers. I don't want any of the Botcon toys btw.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    A sad truth indeed, my friend. I can only asume it has something to do with their exclusivity.

3. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Because people are greedy. End of story.

See, unlike you, I want the BotCon box set. I wasn't fortunate enough to be able to get one, as I had to cancel my Primus Package, and I couldn't get a non-attendee package.

At the moment, I have the funds for what a box set should cost, $329. Unfortunately, the lowest I have found for the box is $600. Twice what it should cost.

And I agree with you, I'm all for exclusives, but scalping them is ridiculous.

I guess I'm just going to have to live with it.

4. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    you guys need to give it some time. the exclusives i think are the most plentiful of all exclusive released at botcon. 1400 pieces of each. the boxsets will come down like every other boxset has.

on another note:
    like it or not, ebay is for scalpers, but supply and demand cause this also. I've seen whole 07 botcon set(exclusives included) start at $.99 and now its up to $600 something, so is he a scalper also? I think not. We,the fans, do it to ourselves. then we turn around and cry about it. if i really wanted a botcon set, i wouldve gone to botcon or ordered a non attendee package. but if you think about it, most people end up paying a ridiculous amount of money to go to botcon(buy the sets, get the exclusives, stay at a hotel, gas money, food, etc), and the experience ends up costing alot more than these sets are going for. so in reality, these sets arent too expensive in comparison to the whole going to botcon thing.
    so in closing, I would accept someone crying about the expenses of going to botcon rather than hear people bitch about scalpers.

5. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    That's not a valid argument. That's like saying my roller coaster ticket could be worth $5000 if I decide to go on a trip to Orlando. You cannot start adding up personal expenses to the price. Several fans are openly going to Botcon to pick up additional toys/sets to make serious money out of them. That, in my book, makes them scalpers. If I was to go at my local store to buy all the '08 Bumblebee (which is near impossible to find right now, like Botcon toys) I could find (which is no different than buying all the Botcon toys you're allowed) and start reselling them at $50 apiece on Ebay, I would be called a scalper. So this is no different to me.

6. Malach Ra

News Credits:
    I see your point of view but......
    I dont agree with you, and I'm pretty sure the fans that went to botcon wouldnt agree with you either.

all in all, if i wanted the set and didnt order the non attendee set in time, i'd buy it off of ebay versus paying a shit load of money to go to botcon(because like it or not, the EXPENSES do add up).

also if you think about it, these scalpers are paying a hell of alot money to scalp toys from the convention.

7. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Holy fuck... I thought this day would never come.

I agree with something megatroptimus said... sort of...

*HEAD EXPLODES*

8. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:

I do agree with you to a certain point. Some people wouldn't have the expenses that other might have so i can see a point to where some people might not want to pay that high of a price.

And for the auction that started out at $.99 and is now up to $600 your are 100% correct, we do that to ourselves. I don't understand why people haven't figured out that if you jack up the price on a hard to find auction with 6 days left that by the time it ends it's going to be some outrageous amount. But if you sit patiently and just watch the item and bid in the last say 5 minutes or so then you can probably get it cheaper. True you take the chance of getting out bid but you also take the chance of getting it for alot less then what you would've paid if you jacked up the price with bidding earlier.

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I hate scalpers as much as the next guy, but scalping exists because people are willing to pay scalper's prices. The difference between scalping a Botcon set and an Alternators Swerve is, unless you lived in Canada, you could've found Swerve if you looked hard enough. But people were impatient, so they fed the scalpers. However, unless you go to Botcon, there is no other way to get the toys, so feeding the scalpers is a must if you want the toys badly enough. Granted, that doesnt change the fact that their prices are unfair, but the only way to stop them from charging that much is to not buy from them until they lower the prices. Problem with that is, while you're boycotting, someone else is walking up behind you and paying.

10. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

The expense thing is irrelevant. They are going to Botcon anyway most times. Also, if your only purpose in going to Botcon is to buy the sets and then scalp them I certainly don't support your cause and could care less if you incured 10,000 in expenses to get there.

11. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    The reason it's socially acceptable come BotCon time is because a large number of TFW2005 board members are doing it. Much easier to vilify the "evil scalper" than yourself or one of your friends. It's ok to gouge your fellow collectors and make a huge profit, because your not a "scalper"...you're just trying to offset some of the cost of going to Botcon. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

12. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    The one thing i don't understand is that we are all transformer fans/collectors here and if someone was going to botcon and picked up the extra set why not sell it to a fellow board member for cost. Your not out any money and most times if someone can find a member nice enough to do this they wouldn't mind even paying just a little more.

I was lucky enough to find someone to do this very thing for me and all i can say to him is thanks.

13. Malach Ra

News Credits:
    Bottom line, we do it to ourselves, not saying its right but its a fact. I would love to get the whole set for about $500 or maybe alittle more, but thats not going to happen anytime soon, so I'll just sit tight till I see the right time to strike. 1400 pieces each of an exclusive item means they will be around for a long time and someone is going to need money fast at some point. Plus there are people out there that will sell their goodies for a decent price, they just havent showed up to the party yet.

Even though I take a different view on the whole scalping thing, I do understand the views of others also.

14. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Not big on the scalping myself, which is why I gave Redline my clear Mirage for free since he wanted it :) 

15. Malach Ra

News Credits:
    peaugh, your one solid dude. thanks again.

16. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, scalping sucks. Espeeically when it's a "freebie" toy. And even more especially when all I want is that clear Mirage and will probably end up spending a fortune on one.
    Dude, that is awesome, really nice thign to do. Now I need to find an equally nice person to do the same for me :D 

17. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

I just payed a friend who was going to pick me up a set. Cost me a little more but I'm getting my Botcon toys even though I couldn't go. And scalping is never okay, people still bitch about scalping now as this thread is proof. Thing is nothing is worth more then the price people are willing to pay for it. And right now those Botcon exclusives are worth far more then original value because thats what they sell for.

Just like at the moment Classics Starscream is worth roughly 25 dollars. That's over twice retail, but thats what he sells for so thats what he's worth. And in most cases its not scalpers who really set the prices, its buyer. If people won't pay then prices get lowered eventually, but people do pay. I've got set prices I'm willing to pay for most items, if I'm bidding I bid that amount then walk away. I may never win some of the items I really want, but I won't pay more then I think they are worth either.

Complaining won't help you, jsut don't buy items you think are overpriced. You'll notice alot of the worse scalpers tend to hold onto items a long time or they lower prices. An item your stuck with is worthless when your goal is making money. The only way to fight them is with your wallet.

18. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I fully understand the eBay starting at $.99 deal. The price goes up because people want it.

But there are times like this when scalping is absolutely inexcusable.

19. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's not scalping, it's economics. The BotCon toys have inherently limited supply and high demand by virtue of their convention exclusive nature. Besides that, reselling the bagged set provides a service to a consumer--it grants access to something otherwise unavailable. That service is worth money.

And since not everyone can have exclusives, how else should who gets them be determined? It's entirely reasonable for a seller to only consider the willingness and ability of a buyer to pay the most when making a transaction.

I don't like the more traditional scalpers, because I feel that they artificially manipulate supply by buying up the store stock, which would otherwise be available to me, and then reselling the toy at an inflated price without providing any service or increase in the toy's value.

A toy that's available at retail is fundamentally different from a convention exclusive. People don't complain because I think they understand that difference, either instinctively or 'cause they were assigned "Wealth of Nations" in school.

Why is it inexcusable? I put my bagged set up on eBay with a BiN of $500, and a starting price of $179 (I couldn't risk losing money). It sold for $540. If that's what someone's willing to pay for it, that's what it's worth.

20. Sludge

Sludge Formerly NC Bulkhead

News Credits:
    QFT!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.