Why is ROTF Onslaught more sought after than Energon Barricade?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dansproject, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

Please tell me as to why you prefer one over the other. I have Barricade in my FP Bruticus, and as a G1 fan, I love how his colours are similar to G1 Onslaught. ROTF just looks...grey/gray to me. I understand a military vehicle is more likely going to have the ROTF paintscheme, but since when have TFs actually followed military paintschemes? Remember the moaning when the first MP Starscream came out? Takara went for a more realistic look, just wondering why Onslaught didn't get the same. Same goes for Energon Blackout, much prefer his paint, and to my eyes looks closer to G1 Vortex. Maybe I'm just being more of a Geewunner than I realise.

2. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Because people are different and have different preferences.

It's life.

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Its got more realistic colors. I am not really a Geewun sticker-upper. I do whatever looks good to me.

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    The ROTF Bruticus is what the Colossus set was color-matched to, even though the set can and will work with any version. As such, people who want the aesthetic to be coordinated will go for that if they can afford it. I use Barricade myself, but only because I already owned him. I think the ROTF one really does look sharper. The Barricade still completes the set, which looks great on its own, but it's like there's something not quite there.

Of course, my set is really silly overall. Brown shuttle, blue torso, purple copter, red jeep, and neon yellow tank...

5. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    E.Barricade has G1 Onslaught toy and G1 Onslaught cartoon robot/vehicle colors.

However ROTF Onslaught has the colors of Bruticus's combined mode torso cartoon colors.

Also the FansProject add-on pieces are color matched to him. The add-on feet connect onto Onslaught/Barricade's legs for an alternate vehicle mod more like G1 Onslaught. With Barricade that makes the "trailer" half blue and half gray, a bit odd looking. But with Onslaught it's a solid, cohesive color scheme.

6. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Techno'cus Maximus

7. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. The other sets don't match.

8. Hal7300

Hal7300 Wrecker

For me, cartoon accuracy 1st, toy 2nd - ROTF Onslaught FTW.

9. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Would you people please stop saying that sets "don't match"

[​IMG]

They all look good, and they all match. It's just personal color preference.

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

You can use different color combinations, but there are some that either don't look right or they just don't match, so that sentiment isn't totally off.

11. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    It is a preference. However, its clear that more people "prefer" one color scheme over another, hence the demand for ROTF is higher.

Basically, its just a supply demand anyways. Its like asking why Wildrider/SG roddy is more expensive than Roddy.

12. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

To be fair, although (IMO) they all look good in combined mode, other versions of the Barricade/Onslaught mold don't match so well in the updated vehicle mode, which is a legitimate concern depending on how much display time you want to give to it.

13. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    And other people have opinions that they don't match. I would agree that they don't go together very well.

14. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

If you look at the actual torso colours of G1 Bruticus (not Onslaught) the RotF version matches that colour scheme far better. Whilst Energon Barricade does a better job of recreating Onslaught as an individual figure, in combined mode the grey chest/torso is more G1 accurate.
    The only greenish parts on the original toy were the thighs, although they are grey on the cartoon model as well.

Basically, if you want G1 accuracy AND a better colour match to the FansProject figures, go with the RotF version. If you just want to update Onslaught, go with the Energon figure.

15. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Yea, but this thread is more about the barricade, and that's what I'm referring to. There are combinations that can look atroscious, But I think the body pieces all look pretty "good" even though people may like one over the other.

I'onno. Even the vehicle modes look pretty square.

No way! /Sarcasm

16. Abrogate

News Credits:
    if I just want to update Onslaught, I'll go with the Universe figure ;) 

17. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Well, I have the Henkei Onslaught but I know what you mean :thumbs2: 

I just keep him way down the other end of the shelf to Bruticus!

18. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I much more prefer Universe/ROTF Onslaught, simply because Fansproject designed the set to match him.

As a matter of economics, Onslaught might be more sought after because the only way to get him at retail is to purchase the whole Combaticon set.

19. Abrogate

News Credits:
    I'm actually gonna fanonize my Colossus set. Universe Onslaught and FP Munitioner will be their G1 selves, while the guys in the gestalt will be the Military Patrol, with the torso being Dropshot, the tank being Bombshock, the jeep being Growl (since, ya know, that's who Warcry is), and the copter being Tracer (and yes, I'm aware Tracer and Bombshock don't really match the colors of Blackout and Blight :p ). I haven't decided if Explorer stays Blast Off or becomes someone else... the idea I had is that Onslaught, ever annoyed by the other Combaticons, readily accepts Swindle's deal to sell their combiner technology to another group... but maybe Blast Off stays a combiner since he's so lonely T_T

20. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Some look great, some look okay, and some look bad. Also, different strokes and stuff.