Why Is Optimus So Boring?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Spunky, Mar 18, 2012.

1. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Nyu, you're not the only one. :D 

And no, I don't think Optimus is boring. I find him very well done. It's not everyday you get a stoic commander that deep down still cares about you. He has his awkward moments ("Loose Cannons"), he has his funny moments ("One Shall Fall"), his vulnerable moments, especially when he opened up to Ratchet ("Masters and Students"), and his angry moments ("One Shall Fall"). Optimus has his character times, you just need to give it time. No doubt they're making him stoic on purpose. Optimus has seen war, he's suffered losses, he's even been betrayed by the very one he once called a brother.

There's obviously a lot going on beneath that tough armour of his. He just needs a bit of a push, that's all.

However, there is a couple of times when I really want to see him open up a little bit more. I can tell he cares deeply for those who are underneath his command, heck, he even cares about the children. He even felt guilty when Raf was injured and he was so determined to never let that happen again.

Guys, just give him a chance before you jump the gun, ok? He's not a bad character, he just needs time, that's all. I probably can't convince you to like him because of his so-called 'blandness', but at least try to give him a chance to develop further.

2. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

The only good thing I've seen from him since One Shall Fall is the moment in the Jackhammer.

3. Attobot2006

Attobot2006 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In the episode where Prime and Arcee went to the Arctic, Prime did say "but, I WILL bring back a snowball for you". I think that's the only time I remember him showing some humor in TFP

4. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    You're forgetting that time when the kids ask him if he wants to hear a joke and he says no.

5. dare

dare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Optimus and Bee are boring because their toys will sell regardless of what their characters are like. Lazy writing because less effort required.

Meanwhile, the writers need to get the kids to love Bulk, Arcee and Steve the Vehicon more so that they can move these 2nd tier toys, so they pump em with personality.

My guess, anyway.

6. Mockmaster

Mockmaster Well-Known Member

He's lost some of that John Wayne swagger he had in G1.

Obviously much of that is writing, but also how Peter Cullen has evolved the character naturally over time.

7. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I see Prime as a rock of reliance in TFP which comes at the price of less flamboyance. However, during the Orion Pax S2 opening trilogy Cullen did pull off a distinctly different character. Voice was much humbler, nervous, inexperienced and had naivety in it.

8. Attobot2006

Attobot2006 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TFP is obviously meant to carry over the fanbase that was established from the Micheal Bay movies, which you can see in the fact that they continue the junk-formers aesthetics (cartoon version) as well as the bay-version of Optimus Prime's personality (Bay made Cullen portray prime as more deliberate, grand, and, well, OLD). Cullen himself of couse is much older than he was in G1, but I don't think he's lost his spunk (or the John Wayne quality)). If you listen to him in the videogames, he still sounds very spunky. I think he tones it down on purpose in TFP to match the bayformer's Prime character only. But outside of TFP and bayverse, you can tell he doesn't hold back!

Since TFP is centered around Prime himself, though, I think this is a good setup to develop his character more and see some insight into his more reserved quality in the show. I hope they open up more opportunity to see Prime with "his hair down" so to speak, similarly how in G1 we saw Omega Supreme show his real personality when he confided in Optimus about his past with the constructicons. But Omega went back to talking like a "robot" after he was done telling Optimus his story. In TFP, I hope Prime opens up more, and keeps showing little hints of humor and spunk, not just staying reserved 100% of the time. That's how I'd like to see him evolve. I think an episode where an old friend visits might bring out a side of optimus that's been dormant for a long time..... can anyone say IRONHIDE? (and that'd be awesome if voiced by no other than Cullen himself as well!!)

9. Kin

Kin Active Member

We still need to see some flaws in Optimus thought. Not that i dont find him interesting (perhaps not as much as the other characters) but his speechs are a little flat coming from a voice that never changes in pitch. Level headed is one thing, but to be bland throughout it all is not helping his character what so ever. Even in extremely stressful moments i'd like to see a crack in his personality. Let him show how hard some decisions are, or find humor in others antics. Not this constant poker face that is completely robotic.

10. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I posted this in a similar thread regarding Optimus, I believe it has merit here:

11. THEdeathsHEAD

THEdeathsHEAD All are dead, yes?

This.

I'd like to see him strike up conversations more, like in loose cannons with wheeljack, with ratchet or one of the kids. We need more dialogue that isn't speeches.

Also, if optimus is boring then Ben Stein is literally a rock.

12. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked Optimus in Loose Cannons because they played with him a little bit, and didn't make him talk as if he was giving an epic speech as often. They need to do that more.