Why is Optimus Prime a hero?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by BAMC18, Jun 6, 2012.

1. BAMC18

BAMC18 Well-Known Member

Hey guys! Haven't been much on the forums lately so sorry if this has been posted before but I just had a simple question, why is Optimus Prime great? What I mean by that is why is he looked at as a role model and a great being? To all those hard core fans what does Optimus mean to you and what was the feeling you had seeing Optimus save the day? See I grew up liking transformers with all the different characters present in the universe but always liked all but Optimus Prime and lately I've just been wondering why Optimus Prime means so much to people. Besides that he's the leader and been around for so long what makes him shine above the rest of the transformers.

2. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

I prefer hardened soldier Movie Optimus myself.

3. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    movie optimus was the only one that was really a hero. he got shit done.

4. Jetcracker54

Jetcracker54 Fire Truck

he can be boring but he's never afraid to strike when ever and where ever he's needed he seems to have no end to his courage and will sacrifice himself to save others

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    To many, Optimus Prime is iconic of the Autobots, and of Transformers as a whole. As (usually) the main character, he receives the most attention, and thus, the most chance to shine in the spotlight. He saves the day, outsmarts and outfights the villains, protects his friends, and holds true to all the ideals of the Autobot cause. That he led his people from extinction to a fighting chance at survival, and then to a new world only to dedicate himself to the protection of a whole other species is heroic, and many fans are attracted to that.

6. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Because he has the Matrix of Leadership and is automatically a great hero who realizes that* killing is wrong.

*Unless he's from the Movies or Prime, because according to Michael Bay and his manchild on TV, being a hero is all about killing

7. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

As far of a hero as a soldier can be. A war hero of sorts.

Or Movie Prime was a soldier and not a superhero.

8. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    :popcorn 

9. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Herald of Thundercracker

I prefer IDW's G1 OP myself, but movie OP does get shit done.

But Animated Optimus is Best Optimus.

10. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

11. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Well-Known Member

There are many variations of Optimus; but from the core of his character, here's what I like about him. He's a fighter. He's not a soldier like Prowl; he doesn't simply follow orders and rules with no heart. He isn't a warrior like Grimlock; he doesn't delight in war and bloodlust (though some of you will undoubtedly bring up movie Prime to this, I believe Prime didn't delight in the violence so much as Bay did and made all characters thus take part in it.) . He's a fighter. He will sacrifice and do anything to protect the lives and freedom of those he has swore to protect and he will never surrender to those who threaten those lives. That is why he is a hero; the details may change but that won't change. There are characters who portray every type of morality in this universe we are so fond of, but Optimus is the hero.

(However, that may also be why he doesn't stand out to you. Sometimes, paragons seem bland compared to their more flawed and obvious stand out counterparts).

12. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Credit goes to Hasbro's very successful indoctrination program.

13. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I agree with what Aernaroth and Rewind Eject have said. :thumbs2:  He has always had that sense of nobility and honour. It's because Optimus is willing to fight for what's right and to protect the innocent. I will leave it at that because of what I discuss below.

Pretty much. I'm giving this thread two days (or five pages, whichever comes first) before it severely falls into the "movie Prime is a face-taking murderer devil!"/"No he isn't you haterz!"-area. :lol 

14. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I think asking why Optimus is a hero is like asking why water is wet.

15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

16. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    For myself, the only Optimus Prime character that I ever had great respect for was the Animated version. He started as a nobody, was not perfect, had members of his own team that pointed his own faults, he grew as a character, and became a hero towards the end of the series.

I have respect for that version because I could see the character grow during the series. That version was the every day bot or person. Somebody that I can connect with and inspire me to do better. Its not like with G1 or most series where he's perfect and hardly have any faults. I can't relate to Superman or Superbot in most cases with Optimus Prime.

The only other Optimus character that I would have respect for after Animated Prime is Optimus Primal.

17. Flaming Matrix

Flaming Matrix Murder claw master

Exactly! Heck most other super heroes atleast put them out of business for like a day or two by putting them in prison, but Optimus doesn't even do that!

18. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

In a word: Selflessness. He puts the safety and freedom of others before himself every time. He's also highly self-disciplined. He doesn't give in to his hate or anger. As much as he too would like to kill his enemies, he shows them the same compassion that he shows those he protects. He does what so few in this world are capable of doing: recognizing that tiny voice inside which says "You know what the right thing is" and then actually does it, regardless of the pain or discomfort it causes him.

The greatest purpose in life is service to others. Deep down we all know that, but many of us aren't willing to make the sacrifice it takes to follow that truth. Optimus does, and he doesn't do it with a snide attitude and he doesn't whine and complain about it. He serves others and does it with grace. He's a symbol of what every person could be if they lived for others instead of themselves. He may be a big, tough robot engaged in a million-years-old war, but everything about him is beautiful despite the hell he's gone through. A peaceful warrior.

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

One thing that really earned my respect for both G1 Prime & Megatron was that they were always at the frontline in battles.

20. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G1 Optimus= Regular Captain America
    Movie Optimus = Ultimate Captain America