Why is no one talking about transformers visual works?!!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by wheeljack01, Jan 14, 2008.

1. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

Just got mine in the mail today from bigbad.....this book blows generations out of the water with artwork. It has all the generation japanesse artwork plus tons more!!! Words cannot describe it.....so who else has a copy? Any favorite pics?

2. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    I have had a couple copies for a few weeks now.

Having read one I can honestly say I am not that impressed with it. Most of the artwork does nothing for me except for the odd one or two pictures here and there. I suppose if I had it as a kid when I was fully into G1 and the characters, I would have been ecstatic with it.

All that being said, its quite a nice addition to my bookshelf and something that I will peruse from time to time.

3. wheeljack01

Man, this book has me blown away. I love the B&W pics of super-astrotrain,octane,cyclous,scourge,and blitzwing. Loved the return of convoy/star convoy stuff...never seen most of that stuff.

4. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a sucker for this sort of stuff, and I'm waiting on my copy to be delivered...

5. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Great book... I only wish I had generations deluxe. It is a gaping hole on my coffe-table art book collection.

6. wheeljack01

Im actually going to sell my first version of generations now that I have visual works....its all about the art to me.

7. nkelsch

Is it Generations or Generations Deluxe? And what is the difference between the two?

If you have the Deluxe I will take it off your hands. :) 

8. wheeljack01

its not the deluxe...its the first book. The deluxe has a bit more of the black and white concept stuff from late in the japanesse series like battlestars and the series after it. I don't have it but I remember seeing a few different super megatron pics and stuff. I think it only had ten pages extra added to the book and none of them was color(i think). You may need to ask someone who has it.....wish I could help more.

9. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

can you throw up some rough pics of the insides so i can see if it's what i'm thinking it is, and if it's worth getting?

is it like generations with pics of the toys too, or like Genesis, where it's all just fan art type stuff.

10. wheeljack01

Sorry,I dont have any scans but just do a search for transformers visual work on seibertron.com and they have some pics. It does not have toy pics and its not fan art, its offical takara tf art from ads, concept sketchs,reimaginiations,tv magazine, and more. I can praise it enough.

11. nkelsch

Well I don't have a scanner but I will describe what is inside:

Pages 1-40: Full color art images of Generation 1 characters. Very much scenes like what you would see in the show in japanese manga style. Many of the pictures are large and very detailed. Some full-page.

Pages 41-60: Full color images and art of the japanese series. Everything from character models to neat-o art. A few fullpage images.

61-80: Not sure but seems like a combination of FAN ART and Comic book scans from other cultures. Most of the comic scans look like UK G2 comic scans. Something *REALLY* cool are B&W versions of all the SD YOSHI TF pictures.

This includes:
    *Season 1-2 Autobots full cast Chibi
    *Season 1-2 Decepticons full cast Chibi
    *Season 3 Autobots VS Decepticons full cast Chibi
    *Season 4 Autobots VS Decepticons full cast Chibi

81-107: B&W character models of all the Season 1-2 cast in japanese manga style based on the toy/show models.

108-125: Just some crazy wacky shit. Extreme japanese B&W doodles of TFs. bad ass.

So it is 100% art, No toy photos. Almost all japanese stuff I have never seen in any american publications.

It also has lots of stuff from previous books, and appears to only be missing the 'concept' art from generations Deluxe.

12. Matt Nelson

Matt Nelson Sinner

Where'd you find this on BBTS? I can't seem to find it on there.

Matt

13. nkelsch

I got mine on Ebay from an international store. It wasn't too expensive.

14. wheeljack01

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    because it was discussed in the news forum...weeks ago.

for sample pages, besides the thread in the N&R forum, tformers has a good gallery too.

16. wheeljack01

I searched for it and all I found was something about the mail order green ratchet....thats why I started this thread.

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    its prolly because you separated visualworks. the book listing shows it as single word, thats how its spelled on the cover.

18. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Personally it was a bit of a let down for me. I already had the Generations book so there's the retreads. But even then, I just don't like the way most Japanese draw Transformers, but the way they draw Transformers is just too mainstream mecha and ends up very soul-less. Don't get me wrong, I love Japanese mecha, but it's a style that just doesn't fit Transformers. One thing I did like about the book was the illustrations by Hidetsugu Yoshioka. He's the one who did the G2 manga, and his art style is very expressive and dynamic. Most of his illustrations can be found in the middle of the book. Youy can tell it's him because his style is obviously western influenced (He did try to emulate Derek Yaniger's style for the G2 manga). One of his pics even features several characters who were only prominent in Furman's Marvel US run.