Why is Long Haul packaged in robot mode..

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ruination04, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why is Long Haul packaged in robot mode as is The Fallen yet the rest of the figures in that size class are packaged in vehicle mode? Just curious as to why...doesn't really matter about the Fallen, but I wondered what made LH so special? Is his vehicle mode too big to be packaged in that box?

2. Triceradon

Triceradon In it for the rage

I believe so.

3. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    ^ Possibly, it could be too wide. Also, being rather compact in vehicle mode, he might appear too small if packaged in vehicle mode. Packaging him in robot mode would make him appear larger and more exciting.

4. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

That.

Pretty sure that since his vehicle mode is smaller than normal, he won't use the space.

As for The Fallen, I think his vehicle mode is too flipping big. That, and kids would recognize him in robot mode sooner than in vehicle.

5. Alung

Alung Lazybot

News Credits:
    Or The Fallen has more appeal in his robot mode than vehicle mode :lol 

6. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I have him in front of me, Long Haul actually has a slightly bigger vehicle mode than most ROTF voyagers, so I don't think that's it.

I do think he's just too thick to be in vehicle mode.

7. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    to promote the sumo squatting sport among transformers....

8. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

The Fallen has a vehicle mode???? :dunce 

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    At Botcon, Hasbro stated they were packing more toys in robot mode because they were going for whatever mode was more easily recognisable. That's why Fallen was in robot mode. Long Haul I think was just to show off how huge he is in robot mode, though - He doesn't seem to be particularly memorable to me in either mode.

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pick any combination of the following answers:

* Vehicle mode may be too thick to fit in a standard Voyager box.

* Hasbro felt the toy would be better showcased in robot mode.

* Vehicle mode in package would look like a green rectangle.

11. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Film-wise, I'm certain that Long Haul's alt. mode gets more screen time (behind Simmons and Leo) than his bot mode!

12. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

That and the fact that the Fallen's vehicle mode looks kinda like you made a paper airplane out of a robot. My point is that he doesn't look like anything so much as a folded up robot.

13. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I dunno, looks a lot like an alien jet to me, I mean yeah there are aspects to it that seem more like a robot folded up, but it still looks a lot like what it is trying to look like. Not to mention it has a bit of a resemblance to the Decepticon insignia.

14. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

What others have said. I feel like I've been ripped off from buying mixmaster. He could seriously fit inside of a deluxe package. There's like 20 square inches of space in that box they could have used to make that figure ALOT bigger.

15. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's because Hasbro felt the robot mode packaged characters would sell better.

16. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    On a sidenote, I hate when figures are packed in robot mode. I mean in some instances I understand why but...to me it's more fun to take them from alternate mode to robot mode the first time than it is the reverse. It kinda ruins the surprise.

17. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I agree! This is also my main complaint about the Leader class. I understand these are iconic characters and in robot mode they are more recognizable, but the surprise is already gone.

Yes, but personally I think his robot mode is more recognizable. He's so huge and distinctive in every small scene he is in. I'm sure people will look for 'that one badass green robot with the huge wheels on his shoulders', not 'the green dump truck'. :) 

18. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I understood the whole "robot-mode-packaging" thing as trying to make the toy appear as big as possible. Packaged examples of a vehicle-mode Long Haul were seen very early on, but it's kind of like Animated Voyager Optimus: a blocky vehicle swimming in the amount of area left in the box, a visual that doesn't imply a customer is getting the full value for their $20.

However, in robot mode, Long Haul takes up a lot of the space inside the box, almost making it seem he was forcibly crammed into it, and that visual presents more bang for the buck for buyers.

As for The Fallen, well, they probably just made up his "alt. mode" because in a toyline called "Transformers", what sense does it make to have one of the staple size class toys not be able to transform (even though the character in question probably never had an Alt. mode to begin with)?

And since the discussion seems to have expanded into robot-mode packaged toys in other size classes, I'll just state my views on those, too:

Scouts: let's face it, all the scouts look better in robot mode in a plastic prision than they would in vehicle mode, right? Scapel/The Doctor doesn't count since he has to be seriously mistransformed to even fit on the card in the first place.

Deluxe: So far only Wheelie and Ravage fit this description, Wheelie because his alt. mode would look pathetic on a deluxe package and Ravage simply because he actually looks like something in cat mode.

Leader: Three words: "Try Me Button". All Leader Classes must have electronic sounds and do-hickeys in robot mode, and so they need to sell those gimmicks in the package.

Supreme: Yeah, like Primus was going to fit in that package in "spikey planet" mode.

19. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay: