Why is Jetfire not called Skyfire?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MaxLinden, May 10, 2010.

1. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    Since all the question I ask alot of people answer, this is what I've been wondering for a bit....
    Why is Skyfire now called Jetfire!
    >=-O
    Is it the Japanese Fault?!
    *Cough* Armada *Cough*

2. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    Jetfire was the toy and comic, Skyfire was the toon. Robotech was out then, which Jetfire is relative to, sharing the same design and whatnot. To avoid legal troubles, the animation in the series was changed to differenciate from the Harmony Gold property of Robotech (macross). As far as the name goes, that probably had something to do with the change as well. Hard to say for sure. You might go ask Sharpshot, Hardshell, or Darkwind?

3. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

And once again, your old friend, the TFWiki is here to save the day!

Why "Skyfire"?

Ultimately, he was never supposed to be "Skyfire" in the first place. In short, the cartoon changed Jetfire's name to "Skyfire" to appease Takara.

4. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    He'll always be Skyfire to me. As a kid, I luved his background story from that episode "Fire in the Sky". The fact that his toy looked nothing like the animation model used to sh#t me big-time. Plus, I guess I just like the name "Skyfire" better. :) 

5. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Legal mumbo-jumbo involving Macross prevented Jetfire from looking like his toy (and being named as such) in the G1 cartoon. Legal jumbo-mumbo involving Mattel holding the rights to a similar name prevents Hasbro from re-using the Skyfire name today. The last usage was in RiD, which was when Mattel threw a fit, resulting in Energon Skyblast being named as such when he came out.

That's the short version of it. Nevermore's probably got the long version in his brain somewheres, he knows his trademark/copyright/name whatevers down pat.

6. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Skyfire was the G1 toon, the toy was a different guy like his cousin... So they named him jetfire instead, and it carried over to the animes as jetfire instead of skyfire to mess with the character. (THEY ARE NOT SKYFIRES!!! >.>) And thankfully the movie goes jetfire instead too, so a true skyfire who has been 'forever younged' is still possible.

7. Mykamusprime

Mykamusprime Well-Known Member

I myself have googled and Wiki'd this question but have not found an answer. Just that it was Skyfire in the cartoon series and Jetfire for comics and toys. The only thing I found out was that his preliminary name was: Wait for it.......... FIREBALL!

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Trademark reasons is what prevent the use of Skyfire nowadays. However back then I believe it was a whole lot of "legel mumbo jumbo" about Hasbro not wanting to inadvertently promote Robotech and stuff.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Jetfire: The original and the best.

10. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    He's Jetfire to me by sheer weight of numbers.

11. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Also let it be noted that the hive of deuchebaggery that is Harmony Gold does not own Macross but has merchandizing rights via a license from Tatsunoko which has rights to SDF Macross animation and merchandise but not Macross Intellectual Property, characters and mechanical designs.

12. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's little chance that Harmony Gold and Robotech had anything to do with Jetfire being renamed. If anything its the reverse - Hasbro's licensing of the Macross Valkyrie for Transformers prevented Matchbox from releasing it in the Robotech toyline.

13. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Also keep in mind Hasbro will always deffer to the original toys to decide a character's name. It's why the modern Rumble is always black and red rather than blue like most remember from the cartoon.

14. Mykamusprime

Mykamusprime Well-Known Member

And let's not forget that whole Bluestreak/Silverstreak, and Hot Rod/Rodimus Major thing.

15. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I always liked the name Jetfire because he's a JET.

16. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

That's a trademark issue: the names 'Bluestreak' and 'Hot Rod' are unavailable to Hasbro. If they were, you can bet that Hasbro would be using them.

17. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Personally, looking at the Dark Skyfire repaint, when I do eventually get him, he will be Skyfire and the Classics Autobot wil be Jetfire. I hate it when they repaint a mold to be the same character rather than a new one so to solve it in this instance, the Decepticon gets the badass (to me at least) name, Skyfire and the Autobot gets called Jetfire.

Could have them as brothers, like Sideswipe and Sunstreaker, but on opposing sides of the war. Make for an intersting dynamic, especially if you throw Starscream into the mix.

18. Aspen

Aspen Banned

Once you have bought and paid for him he's whoever you want him to be.

19. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

That's a really good idea. He was always "Skyfire" to me as a kid, so I'll call the black one Jetfire.