Why is it so?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razorrider, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Razorrider

Razorrider Well-Known Member

An issue has been really ticking me off lately, is the fact that anger is a very popular emotion lately. I've seen so many shows and movies involving a badass characters who hates everyone and everything around them, making them a very unlikeable character. I believe people behaving like that will prove to be unhealthy for them. Majority of such angry characters are in anime, e.g. Edward Elric and even the TF universe has such characters, namely Depthcharge.

What is so fascinating with someone who displays negative emotions? I have seen some artists create characters that usually are antisocial, are bipolar or manic depressive and violent. This may seem hypocritical but angry people/characters make me angry myself! It's almost to the point that a cheerful person would come across as strange or infuriatingly annoying. Ahh, I feel somewhat better now that I've ripped this issue off my chest. Tell me what you think of this issue and of my attitude to this..

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I think you may have to readjust your tampon there miss.

:p 

All kidding aside, I can't say I've really noticed this. But I don't watch Anime or many cartoons.

3. Razorrider

Razorrider Well-Known Member

Lol, I suppose it's just me being easily annoyed by such things, or that I should stop looking at depressed blog entries

4. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    It really has to do with the attention that is given to those emotions/actions. They actually did a study on negative experiences vs. positive and it turns out that for every negative experience, a person needs 7 positive to forget/forgive that 1 negative.

5. Sideways

Sideways Banned

I agree with razorrider for the most part, but honestly I think the " angry,badass, pissed off at the world" type characters are more interesting to me..
    I think of it as this...you can't be happy all the time.. plus I can't stand the emo, sensitive-type characters.

6. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    In the grand scheme the world sucks, people suck, etc sucks. Most people have to suck it up and glaze over the suck of all in order to be able to interact and function nowadays. Sucks. So when characters show up in popular fiction that don't sugar-coat every fact, lie with a happy smile, or provide lip service on their knees to every pc-thing possible, that negativity, anger & angst is something audiences can identify with.

7. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Remember kids, it's down the road, not across the street.

8. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Cheerful, well-adjusted people don't make for great drama.

"Castle! Your wife, son and daughter have been killed by the mafia! What are you going to do?"
    "Report it to the correct authorities, mourn for an appropriate length of time, then move on."

That's not going to give us twenty year's worth of comics.

9. Sideways

Sideways Banned

*lols @ Op.Sledge's post

10. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Maddox, right? :) 

11. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    No idea. Just a phrase I heard in college eight or nine years ago.