Why is IDW so bad at having enough prints of their trade paperbacks?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by siniquezu, Jan 10, 2011.

1. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

No bookstore has enough of the good IDW transformers trade paperbacks because there aren't enough in print. WTF?!? If people are buying the books, why not print more? For a publishing company to not print books it's no wonder they don't have a strong market.

2. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Then when they print too much, people will whinge that the crap is everywhere and "shelf warming" etc etc.

It's circular.

3. siniquezu

I just don't understand why something like All Hail Megatron Vol 2, which was released in Sep 2009 is out of print already. That's just one example. IDW doesn't seem to keep more than 2 years worth of stock.

4. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dont know I just know it was a pain in the A to find the Ark books as most stores I went to only got the 1 copy in stock ever...

5. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

Hell, I've yet to even FIND Spotlight #2, Maximum Dynobots, and AHM. Never even found the DW G1 Vol. 2

6. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Less prints = smaller chance of getting suck with unsold books.

IDW just isn't a superbig company like Marvel or DC, so I reckon they have to play a bit more safe at times.

7. brittap

brittap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  8. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I'm still hunting for a reasonably priced copy of Classic Transformers Vol. 2 so I feel your pain siniquezu. What I don't understand in this age of super printers is why publishers can't offer print on demand titles. Even if the books are more expensive than cover it would be worth it to have a publisher's entire catalog available.

9. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've got all of those, but they were not easy to find. Ebay is you friend man, and it takes a while.

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Perhaps as a smaller comic book company they lack the resources to quickly print more copies of something that ends up more popular than expected. You have to remember that Transformers is not their only title so they have to print up all their other stuff as well.

It just seems really hard for companies to peg the demand for something exactly every time.

11. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    You could try going to a local comic shop and see if you can buy the back issues that make up the TPBs. Shop owners are happy to get rid of the old stock and are often open to discounts on a bulk purchase.

If you don't have any local shops, check online -- a lot of independent shops sell back issues through their websites.

I caught up on a lot of DW and IDW TF issues that way, for less than the cover price and much less than the TPB price. But I also waited to purchase them because I'm too cheap to pay cover price, and I don't really like collecting comics anymore. I just want to read the stories and look at the purty pictures.

12. Deceptijohn

News Credits:

Maximum Dinobots

I just got this one and it's pretty good. Nice art section at the back as well.

13. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I've run into this issue before myself.

The first time it happened was at BotCon of all places. IDW had a booth setup with stacks of books. I wanted to pick up a few but any that were a series were incomplete. For example I wanted AHM... but they only had volume 1 on the table. Also, I can't find any of the other volumes at my local stores. I haven't ventured too far online looking for the rest of the series though.

The next time was the Last Stand of the Wreckers. I actually asked my local comic store to order it in for me. When release day came, I made it the store later in the evening before they closed... but they had none. The guy apologized and said they only got a few in - and it was not enough to cover the orders so they had to do it on first come, first serve. I was able to find this one online pretty easy though.

I won't totally put the blame on IDW though for the lack of inventory. This particular comic store has shafted me on monthly subscriptions a few times. They claim IDW didn't send any or "it will come the week after - it just happens sometimes". But then I can go to the other local comic store that is a bit farther away and they have a dozen on the shelf of each cover.

14. siniquezu

As a small company you would think that they could recoup more costs by printing more if there is demand for a reprint. Just my 2 cents.

15. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Not that easy. First it's actually having orders in hand to insure the print volume for the price point. Then it's scheduling an appointment with the printer among many other factors.

I think actually writing IDW is a bit more effective then posting on tfw. Judging by the material coming out I don't they check this place out. Of course if they get 1000 letters asking for 1000 different things then it becomes ineffective.

16. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    This is why I'm buying the hardback collections as soon as each volume comes out. Screw trying to hunt down something that's not super great to begin with

(the only trade that I bought on its own was LSOTW because, obviously, it's awesome and worth it. Now it seems to be OOP too (at least, amazon doesn't have it in stock) so I'm glad I did!)

17. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why do people always assume there is a demand for what they want?
    We have heard about the sluggish transformer comic sales for some time. Book stores are probably not placing orders for this stuff hence the small print runs and quick sell outs. Idw has responded and printed more of the books that are actually selling like the allspark almanacs.

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Also, remember that vol. 2 of a series rarely sells as well as vol. 1, so it makes sense for IDW to budget for a smaller print run.

19. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    That may be true on a new property, but something like their reprints of the G1 Marvel books anyone who wants them wants the set. I wish comics were like books and reprints came along all the time.

20. brittap

brittap Well-Known Member

News Credits: