Why is Henkei more expensive than Masterpiece?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dark Jedi, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Ok maybe not in every case but specifically speaking for most Henkei bots their Masterpiece counterparts are less expensive. One example is Henkei C-21 Smokescreen. I realize I might be late to the party but this figure goes for well over $100 aftermarket. Compare that to MP-19 who can be found for even $60 or less on some sites.

So my questions would be is Henkei very sought after by collectors? Were the original releases limited in some aspect? Also do you expect this trend to continue? Will we see more reissued Henkei/Asia exclusive sets like the Seekers?

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    You kinda answered your own question there. Supply/demand - Economics 101. Supply of these figures were slightly smaller than their US counterparts, plus for US collectors they're imports, meaning that more collectors passed on them at the time. Fast forward just a few years, and now you find a collecting community with more fans, thus driving the demand up some. With Masterpiece Smokescreen, TakaraTomy anticipated the demand a bit more and adjusted the supply accordingly. Just contrast this with the first run of MP Lambor/Alert, as the demand became higher just shortly after Alert's release. Both figures are still on their first runs, as they're still in production with MP Lambor's second run already in que.

In the long run, I think much of Henkei could be sought after a bit more by collectors, given their closer adherence to their G1 counterparts. The releases weren't "limited", just fewer in contrast to the US counterparts. It's hard to speculate and predict Henkei-type releases since we really only have the recent packs to go on.

3. madhatprime

madhatprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good explanation, Super. I would like to add however, that I can relate to Dark Jedi here.
    The MP is far superior. Nowadays, though you may see demand go down. A lot of collectors of CHUG are moving to MP. I see it more and more often.

I do not believe that CHUG is more like G1 than the MP. Chug is a different beast. Meant to update the character in todays market. A modern take. Where as MP is strictly G1 (Character design)

4. Blazere

Blazere :)

News Credits:
    aaaaand this question's done.

5. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've recently started to pick up some classics figures and have had to pick up Henkei instead because the US version was more than the henkei version.

I really suggest shopping around. Chimungmung still has henkei figures in stock for fair prices as does toydojo. Not all are readily available of course, but again, shop around rather than relying solely on eBay and be patient. Deals pop up.

6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Aftermarket is usually higher in general.

7. transmuseum

transmuseum The professor

Ebay:
    It is almost exactly like you thought. Now the good news with the recent Japanese toys is that they will be cheaper soon. Most collecting generations give up a particular toy after about 10 years from when they are released and the market is flooded with them. Now all toy series differ but Transformers seems to be following the same pattern. Plus most collectors usually toss there collections at the age of 35-40 years old and the G1 enthusiats are hitting that age point soon. If you really want one, and you are quite patient, I would wait until these collectors start to liquidate and you might get it for cheap!

8. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well it's obviously because CHUG is better than MP.

;) 

9. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    :throw 

10. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lol 

11. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

I think the quote you're referring to was comparing Henkei and Classics to G1 (not Henkei and Masterpiece).

12. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Rarity vs. recent. Nuff said.

13. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    There's still Classics collectors out there. And to be honest, with all the 3rd party stuff/combiners/headmasters and all that, it just seems easier to have a more complete classics collection.

It will take at best another 2 to 3 years just to have a complete S1 cast with masterpieces.

14. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

GOOD!

Sell them to me! I'm 38 and I just started collecting 2 years ago.

15. transmuseum

transmuseum The professor

Ebay:
    I would if I could :p  I put so much money into Tfs and Joes that I think my fiancee would actually attack me if I liquidated lol plus the miss loves G1 bots for some odd reason. I think she is just intrigued that you can transform or some other sillyness.

16. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I also think there is more value in a Henkei since it is considered a toy even with chrome and pretty paint. Whereas a MP is still a collectible figure like Hot Toys more for display even though Henkei is more likely to be a display as well. That is the selling point for me is that it's a beautifully crafted toy and display piece. You can argue for MP being the same thing but I wonder which would be more preferred as a toy.

I'm really not interested in the MP line as it stands now. It's way to Autobot heavy for my tastes. I would rather shell out the same price for a Henkei Smokescreen than a MP one. I also don't find the mold reuse appealing the way I do with CHUG. I can buy all the remolds and retools of Sideswipe, Red Alert, etc.. but have no desire to buy anything further than MP-12. I'm even only considering adding Prowl and stopping there. But with CHUG I'm all in on every character repaint no matter the cost.

17. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Well all of this is just your personal opinion. Chug prices have been going down since the mp scale reboot. Like others have said henkei smokescreen is expensive due to him being out of production. Mp smokescreen isn't because he is still in production give it a year or 2 mp smokescreen will be more expensive. If you look at mp resale it is a lot more ridiculous then chug. While henkei Optimus cost 100 now his release cost was around 60. Hasbro mp Optimus was 100 at release and now costs 300. Mp 11 starscream is another one that shot up in price.

18. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

What is the most expensive Henkei figure these days? Astrotrain?

19. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Probably clear convoy. But the reason why is because he is a special made figure.

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Thanks! There is certainly a trend that I see at least starting up that may end up being problematic for certain collectors:

I think is just going to frustrate the type of collector that Classics - Generations targets. I've emphasized it in your post. The Masterpiece line really isn't geared towards someone who's been into Classics - Generations for some time now.

Masterpiece will not and can not cover the sheer amount of characters that one will wish to be covered. Masterpiece will certainly hit a lot of the highlights, I'm sure (Ark crew most likely, and some others along the way). Classics - Generations is affordable and scaled small enough that it has the flexibility to include a vast array of characters from not only G1 but several other Generations. Masterpiece can not do this same thing, nor does it seem to aim to.

Don't believe me? Arrange one shelf of figures that have came out so far for Masterpiece that fit the same bill Classics - Generations does. Compare and contrast this to your Classics - Generations shelf. The available Seekers themselves will take up a lot of real estate. There's a reason I know this. :wink: 

Masterpiece is certainly a line under a completely different time constraints due to the release schedule. Thus, people who want their collections filled out in less than 5 years are just going to end up frustrated. This is even with the major characters. Look at this year's release schedule alone:​

TakaraTomy:

Soundblaster/Ratbat
    Wheeljack
    Bumble
    Ultra Magnus
    Bluestreak redeco (most likely blue, but not confirmed)
    Star Saber (no confirmation of this year as the release date, but that's most likely)

Hasbro:

Grimlock
    Sunstorm
    Prowl (possibly, no official confirmation)​

Hasbro already has a full plate, and I'd be really surprised to hear of another single release. Three surprises me quite a bit, though Prowl hasn't officially been confirmed by Hasbro, there is strong enough evidence to suggest that it's certainly on it's way. TakaraTomy will likely add a few more into the mix, but that's hard to say as well.

Add to this that several of those who are jumping into Masterpiece will say that they'll "just wait on Hasbro", so that even narrows the field even further. It also leads into another point:

Expense. This one can be tricky. It's pretty obvious that the Classics - Generations collectors have some pretty deep pockets, as evidenced by the expanse of third party product. Most will just come right out and admit that the reason they're waiting on Hasbro is for a "cheaper" product.
    As a Masterpiece collector, I can ASSURE you it's typically much easier to just click a few times to secure a TakaraTomy order versus having to hunt in order to beat the scalpers for the US releases. Adding to such a problem is a key figure like Optimus Prime. Unless the YotH version is completely satisfactory, one is going to look to spend no less than $200 for this figure due to scalpers and secondary markets. Most will still want the classics colors of the original release as opposed to the YotH version. Will Hasbro rerelease the original? Who knows? I'd venture most aren't willing to sit around and speculate with such an important gap in their collection, even with chromed gold looking back at them from their shelf.

I know this rabbit trails from the original topic quite a bit, but all of the above is something that the collector must consider before "jumping lines".