Why is GM chosen for the movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Superion33, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHansen

RHansen Veteran

News Credits:
    Just in case anyone reading this thread is wondering, GM consisits of these brands:
    • Buick
    • Cadillac
    • Cheverolet
    • GMC
    • Hummer
    • Pontiac
    • SAAB
    • Saturn

so it's quite a nice lineup of brands, and even nicer lineup of available vehicles. Now to my knowledge, GM hasn't been announced as the only provider, but it's entirely possible at this point, with so little known.

2. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Add to the list the fact that the GM shareholders are clamoring for the ax to fall on the Buick and Pontiac brands also. Oldsmobile was already done away with a while back after 100+ years. Expect to see a few more brands go that way. Hummer will still be produced but they have discontinued the H1 model. So to all those people clamoring for a Hummer as a Transformer will have to settle for it to be a H2 and H3.

Not trying to be mean. Just telling you what I've been reading on business week and msnbc.

Oh, to all those people who wrote "who cares" at the beginning of this thread, please see how many people have responded. The replies in themselves show how many people care. Whether that is to simply state an opinion or clarify something, you can see some people actually do take the time and energy to respond.

As far as people knowing what names cargo trucks are, I don't think most people would. I consider myself somewhat intelligent and I only knew of the Mack brand cuz of the phrase "hits you like a Mack truck". I don't think the average Joe on the street will have any idea what brand an 18 wheeler is. I mean, come on, this is to be expected from a nation that can't even guess where New York is on map? And as far as what brand an Ambulance is, thats an extremely long shot.

Oh, and to the mods, you're always going on about keeping the boards civil and so forth so why not tell megamoocow to stop with the flame baiting. He obviously doesn't like my opinion, but instead of debating with me, he states "who cares" and then calls for this to be the most stupid thread ever. I can flame him back and call things back too, but I fear the mods aren't completely impartial.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Real cool, and I'm pretty sure you just did "flame me back". I can think of some nice names to call you too, but I don't need to resort to that.

It's not my fault nobody agrees with you. Maybe you should go ask the guys in your football forum. It sounds like they agree with whatever you say.

And for the record, I didn't say "most stupid thread ever". I agree "dumbest argument ever" may have been a bit much, but it's obvious that it's pretty one sided on your part. Did you actually READ the responses?

What's to argue? If it was some other company, you'd probably find a reason to hate them too, but for the sake of argument, what company do YOU think should do it?

It seems to me (from some other posts of yours I've read) that you're just grasping at straws for reasons to hate this movie, and you're trying to get us to hate it too. The chosen car manufacturer to (possibly) be most prominent is the LEAST of our worries, hence, "Who cares?"

4. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Not to mention the companies they own that aren't sold in the States, like Holden and Vauxhall. (I still find it ironic that the Vauxhall version of the Monaro looked more like a Pontiac performance car, than the Pontiac version [GTO] did.)

5. pdkesq

pdkesq Logically Illogical

You must be kidding? I think you may be the only person on the planet who misses these models. Crap cars like the Cavalier, Celebrity, Lumina, etc are why GM is in the hole it is now. These cars were dull, had mediocre handling and poor quality interior materials. And they weren't that much cheaper than the toyota or honda equivalent. Driving one of these cars made you feel poor, even if you weren't. My first car was a new Corsica. It was a piece of crap from day 1. Worst.. car.. ever!!

6. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Right, you just resort to calling my post the dumbest argument ever. Please. You were the one who threw the first stone. Your attempt at taking the high road now is laughable. Why don't you debate the argument instead of attacking the person?

Actually, I've had lots of discussions with people. Some have disagreed with me, some haven't. But the point is at least they attempted to debate me. Whereas most of you respond with "who cares". If you have nothing to add to the thread, then stop contributing useless crap like that and let it die on its own when no one replies.

Yeah, I did. The dumbest thread ever wouldn't have people responding to it, whether to support it, criticize it, or just make a comment on it. It would have died of its own, but it didn't. My point was to start a discussion, and I did. It wasn't to convince everyone on this board. In fact, others convinced me that hopefully the TFs won't be in car form for too long, so I hope that the Fast and the Furious type scenes are kept to a minimal.

My opinion. I would choose a company that isn't looking at having its name tarnished, a company that isn't going to possibly be in bankruptcy or a strike, a company that isn't looking at killing off more brands, a company that automotive enthusiasts rave about. Just choose a company that is those things I listed.

Basically, I want my TFs to be represented by a company that isn't tanking. I want a high quality company to mirror what I think is a great franchise in TFs.

Thats YOUR opinion. Like I've said, people have different ideas on what IS their worry about this movie. There seems to be an entire army who thinks that Cullen/Welker thing is the biggest priority. Its not even a priority for me. The choice of car company is a bigger issue than choice of voice actors. So what? Am I supposed to change my priorities to match that of the majority?

I am ecstatic that they are going to have a new live action TF movie. It'll at least make me that less weird when my friends and family can see how cool the TFs are like I do. I don't want the movie to fail, thats why I am arguing AGAINST the things I think which might make it fail.

I am not trying to convince anyone to hate anything. I simply started a topic to hear other people's perspectives, whether different from mine or not. In fact, its much more preferable to hear other viewpoints as it'd be a short discussion if everyone agreed.

Instead I am accosted by you. The way you responded initially, shows how immature you are. Then you use the reason another poster gives to strengthen your own reasoning for "dumbest discussion ever". Very cool.

7. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I DID NOT attack you. If anything I attacked your idea that the car manufacturer chosen to be (POSSIBLY) showcased more than any other in the movie makes any kind of difference to most people. YOU were the one who started with the name calling attacks, so don't give me that "high ground" shit. You were the first and only to take the lowest road possible.

I still stand by the idea that, for the most part, people don't give a damn what car brand shows up on-screen more than any other. We want to see the ROBOTS. You have beef with GM? We don't care.

I'm done with this now. Because really, who cares? That's MY opinion on it.
    And if you're going to pick my posts apart piece by piece, please include the parts where I admitted I was wrong. I know leaving them out makes you feel better, but it's not accurate.

P.S. You still didn't pick another car company to back up your argument. Usually when somebody hates a choice, they support their argument by giving another. You didn't. If you want people to have meaningful debates about your topics, you really need to work on keeping them precise, on topic, informed, well thought out, and non-convoluted, unlike this one.

8. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Those are from separate posts. You touch on something in the first one that IMO blows the whole argument. Most people can't name cargo truck brands, find New York (or Iraq :rolleyes2  ) on a map, name their Congressman, etc., etc.

Not only do most people not know or care about any internal or lon-term problems at GM...they probably don't even know what the fuck GM stands for. Most won't even realize that all the brands up on the screen are GM...if they're even aware of the parent relationship of GM to the individual manufacturers in the first place.

Hell, half the people that own a Scion would probably be surprised to find out they're a sucker for a Toyota marketing scheme.

9. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That's a VERY good point. This argument has no substance other than "OMG I hate GM!"

10. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I see no point in talking to you anymore. When you call something "dumb" without supporting your own argument, its an attack on the person. The entire tone you said it in - "dumbest argument EVER" showed your spite. Now you're trying to cover your ass and say you're attacking my argument? How? By saying who cares and not talking about my topic at all? When did you ever even discuss the points I brought up. THAT would be attacking my argument. Why don't you try that on other people and see their reaction. Next time you're discussing something with someone, say that you're going to nominate it for the dumbest discussion ever. See if they will see it as you attacking their argument and not attacking them. Say whatever you want to cover your ass, I am done talking to you. The whole point of you not even admitting you were trying to attack me makes me realize that the rest of my words would fall on deaf ears.

11. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

That is the dumbest argument ever. (psssst - I am attacking your argument, and not you)

So? Whats your point? Most people don't know that Devestator is made up of 6 robots either but you see people on here discussing it. I can promise you that more people would know which car company owns which brands more than they would know who Cullen and Welker are. However, people seem it is a good use of their time to discuss it here.

12. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Good. Please stick to that, then I won't have to "cover my ass" when YOU start name-calling and making nonsense again.

13. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    This has to be one of the most entertaining threads I have read while on the crapper. God bless my wi-fi connection.

Oh, and Superion? Just because a thread has lots of replies doesn't mean it isn't dumb. I'm not saying this thread is dumb, because I don't want you to feel like we're ganging up on you or anything, I'm just pointing out the fact that here on TFW, we've had some pretty dumb threads go on for pages and pages and pages, just like we've had some very smart threads die after a handful of responses.

Now isn't someone supposed to threaten to leave at this point because we're all a big pile of stinkypoopoojerkfaces and then go tell their brotheran law about it or something?

14. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I nominate Lance Halberd for a modship of the highest order.

He's reasonable, logical, and a stinkypoopoojerkface.

15. butz

butz slippery when wet

I gotta disagree with you there. Have you been to the fuzzy world lately? You can actually feel your IQ drop while you're there, yet people post dozens of responses (like myself- I'm a fuzzy addict). I'm not saying your thread is necessarily dumb or anything- just arguing that people do, in fact, respond to really stupid stuff.

16. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

No you're not supposed to change your opinions to match the majority.

However have you seen the reaction to those that take the "Cullen and Welker MUST be in the movie" type of tantrum?They're generally refered to as 1)Geewunners or 2)Rabid fanboys.Both of which are not flattering things to be called by fellow fans

I'm pretty sure that if this movie fails it won't be because of the use of GM cars.I've watched Leonard Maltin & Ebert and Roeper for a while.I've heard them make comments about 1)Pacing 2)Storyline 3)The acting.But I've never heard them say "Oh this movie's horrid because [insert car company here] is involved" I've NEVER read a review where the reviewer complains about the choice of car

And you got that opinion,you just don't like the opinion that people think you're getting vexed over nothing

And unfortunately filming has begun,so GM's here to stay.You can either deal with it and move on or let it ruin the movie for you

17. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

P:

I've tried to see this and I don't. These cars are no more boring than anything else on the road; certainly no duller than the Camry, which is pure, distilled dullness from dimension D. As for the interior materials, once you get past the new-car smell every car WHEREVER it comes from has an interior slapped together from vinyl and cardboard with fabric glued on. Interiors don't impress me.

What impresses me is a powertrain that will run well for a long time, take a reasonable amount of unexpected abuse, and be easy to repair when it does break down. Those 'boring' cars were great for this. I suppose GM wanted to make exciting play toys instead of useful tools. Oh well.

18. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

Superion, take my advice: You wouldn't trust MSNBC or Buisness week for info on Hasbro or Transformers, really they don't know what they're talking about on GM.

Auto stocks are severly underrated on Wall Street. Imagine a buisness that employs 7% of the population being worth less than a boiler-room dot.com startup made of mostly vaporware?

For Good information on the Auto industry I recomend:

Detroit News, Automotive News, AutolineDetroit, Auto Extremist.com, Car and Driver, Allpar.com, Autoweek.com (there are a dozen good foreign sites that can be reached though these sites as well) as with all good reporting, cross check all stories between multiple sources.

19. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't really see what's up with all of the GM hate. I've had about 8 vehicles in the last 20 years and I'v only ever got a new one when the old one wore out. (broke down) Of the 8, my '91 Chevy Truck lasted the longest and was the most durrable. (I got it with 85,000 mile on it and sold it to Doctor Doom at 265,000.)

The worst I had was a Ford F-150. I spent 3 times what the damn thing cost me to keep it running. (which was why I unloaded it onto my Sis's ex. hehehe:D  )

Most of us base our likes and dislikes on our experiences with the cars in our lives so if some one hates GM then they most likely have a good reason for it. But, there has to really be something wrong with you personally if you let what kind of car appears in a film affect your desire to see said film. (and don't get me started on how messed up you have to be to try to convince others on a board to agree with you.) (last statement not directed at anyone but if you think it is then I have made my point.)

20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Boy, this thread has everything that's entertaining about posting on the boards:

1. A source poster vehemently defending a point so trivial that he's split the hair of argument into so many microscopic slices that I don't think anyone really wants to follow those leads, nor do they care...

2. A subject that holds interest for a very few, and yet everyone feels a need to weigh an opinion...

3. A series of fucking ******ed arguments, including namecalling and self-righteous "Oh, well I do believe that I am justified in saying this, but what right do you have to say that?" bullshit...

4. At least three spinoff conversations from the source question, which are either quoted or responded to with some phrase along the lines of, "And HOW does this deal with blahdity blah?"

5. A lot of assholism!

YAY TFW2005! TRULY, YOU ARE THE CHAMPIONS OF TEH INTARRO-NETTZ!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.