Why is GM chosen for the movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Superion33, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Ok, I know the mods wouldn't allow me to discuss GM on any other section, so I am bringing it up here.

I don't understand the decision for Hasbro to choose GM as the car company for the movie. Unless GM PAID Hasbro to make the TFs into GM cars, Hasbro could have been choosy and chosen better performing companies.

Instead, they choose a company that is looked at as poor quality, poor for the environment, their workers and unions despise the management, they are laying off 30,000 people and are facing the possibility of a debilitating strike within months.

You would think even ONE of those red flags would have made Hasbro choose someone else. Now Hasbro is looking at the movie coming out while GM is in the middle of a strike and the production of its cars is stalled in the factories.

Ratchet "Sorry Bumblebee, the wound from Boomboxatron seems to be fatal. The part needed to fix you is no longer made as GM has gone bankrupt and the striking workers won't make anymore till they are paid more than their high school diploma is worth."

Bumblebee plays "don't cry for me Argentina"

Luckily though, Optimus and Ratchet will be brand-less as no one really knows which company makes semis and ambulances. Hopefully Jazz will be such an exotic sports car it won't matter what brand he is.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Who cares? It's a movie about robots, we're not trying to save the world here.

3. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Yeah, I don't really care either. 24 is supported by Ford, hence most of the vehicles in that show are Fords. It doesn't detract from the actual storytelling at all, despite all the acronyms that FORD can stand for.

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    News to me that the movie has exclusivity to one automaker. They may simply have been the highest bidder.

5. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    whoopty do. ould care less

6. butz

butz slippery when wet

Yeah, sorry, but who really cares? They probably wanted to go with an American company, and GM was probably the highest bidder. I realize you got a beef with GM in real life, but why let that get in the way of enjoying a movie that is a total work of fiction? If they're doing as badly as you say, then the support from this film won't be enough to keep their ship from sinking, and I can't fathom how using a particular brand of cars is going to ruin a sci-fi movie about giant robots, so again, I gotta ask, who really cares?
    Actually, the question I really should be asking, is why worry about it?

7. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    :lol 

Welcome to the world of commercialization. I'll bet that Spike only drinks Coke and eats exclusively at McDonalds too.

My thoughts are also that because GM is the biggest auto maker in the world, it would give Hasbro more options for vehicle designs. This way they don’t need to pay too much to use the cars likeness and GM gets advertising as well.

8. Lazerbeak

Lazerbeak Keronian Ambassador

Like everyone else already said, who cares?

It's a movie about giant robots, not cars. I'm going to be paying attention to the actual TF's, not what manufacturer made their vehicle mode...

9. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Stop dissing GM...some of us own and love our GM. People could just as easily diss every car out there, so don't start the fight man. As for the movie...who cares what cars they are...Id rather have a Corvette in it then something stupid, like an xb or civic.

10. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Isn't more like GM allowed their vehicles to be in the movie, rather than Hasbro wanted only GM vehicles for the movie?

I figured the movie works on the same basis as Alternators. Hasbro approaches automobile manufacturers and says "We want to make awesome robots out of your vehicles, will you let us?" And then the automobile manufacturers say yes or no, and then their lawyers fill in all the details like which vehicles can be used, in what colors, for which faction, and if they can have weapons or not, etc. Then the Hasbro lawyers do their thing and figure out if the deal is worth it, and if everything is copacetic, and the deal is mutually beneficial, we get Transformers based on officially licensed, real world vehicles.

11. paskal

paskal SHWOOOO!!

It mostly has to do with the director being Michael Bay.

He's directed many commercials for GM, including the car carrier one that introduced the new corvette for last year's Super Bowl.

He also got the Caddy Cien concept car for The Island.

12. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

That would be partly my thinking. GM is a rather large umbrella with a huge array of makes and models. GM's real world problems, whatever they may be or your opinions on them, don't change another aspect of advertising in the real world nowadays..that some automobile company was going to get an exclusive deal. GM offered the most money and/or provided the producers and principal cast H3s, who knows.

13. butz

butz slippery when wet

Wow, Lance making a rare foray into TFGD! You make a very good point- it's probably a matter of GM being more willing to whore out more of their vehicles for stuff like this rather than any consideration of their company's reputation.
    Past dealings with Bay probably helped it along too.

14. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    You're kidding right? Ever heard the names Freightliner, Kenworth, Peterbuilt, Mack, or International?

15. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I doubt the workers at a GM factory could have made the part to fix Bumblebee's internal mechanisms to save his life anyway... Duh! He's an alien!

16. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I nominate this thread for "The Dumbest Argument Ever" award.

That part about "nobody knows who makes semis" really narrowed the competion.

17. useless

useless Completely Unreasonable TFW2005 Supporter

In effect by doing a deal with GM they get more money to make their movie with, thus it can (in theory) be a better movie overall.

This is extremely common: look at ANY scene in a big budget movie from the mid 90's onwards where a PC is used: There will be at least one shot where the Manufacturer's badge is clearly visible in the center of the movie screen, as much in focus as the characters: this is the result of exactly the same type of deal.

18. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Folks:

My wife's car is a Chevy Cavalier. It has 142,000 miles and runs fine; gets 30 mpg. My mother had a Chevy Corsica that she sold, still running fine, at 198,000 miles. No major repairs were done to the Corsica; I rebuilt the Cav's head after its gasket went (a minor external leak, caused probably by overheating when my wife lived in the desert). I could have just slipped in a new gasket ($50) but that's not workmanship. Parts for either car are cheap and easy to get.

I have worked on Japanese cars, German cars, American cars, Swedish cars, and Korean cars, of various sizes and eras, and they are ALL reliable if you maintain them and ALL unreliable if you don't; the most common repairs are brakes, rust, and suspension, which have about the same lifespan on any car, but I have never had any luck putting my actual experience up against various friends' pre-conceived notions; oh well. I do think GM was stupid to abandon their late-80s / early-90s alphabet cars (Cavalier, Celebrity, Lumina, Century, Park Avenue, and clones) which were extremely simple, reliable, rugged, and easy to fix. I also think GM idiotically concentrated on the high-margin SUV macho _ _ _ _ _ substitutes to the detriment of bread&butter cars like the Cavalier and Lumina.

The same goes for Ford and the Tempo. Say what you like about the Tempo, the thing was cheap to buy and cheap to run and able to take TONS of abuse. The complaints you hear are only proof of this. 'Dayamm, ah done run let mah Tempo overheat only 29 tahms an th' dayamm head gasket done blowed out'...

But these are complaints about the 'new' Ford and GM; the ones that a few years back claimed their future lay with small runs of specialty vehicles. Idiots. To the great credit of the Japanese they have never done this -- the Camry gets the attention it deserves from the management.

[/rant]

Ahem. Truck companies aren't completely unrecognizable...but what about Marmon, Diamond Reo, and Autocar? Dodge used to make some funky looking rigs too...until 1970 or so. Anybody else want to see the Autocar rig from MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE as a TF?

19. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Ah, so that's why GM is being featured in the movie.

Thanks, Autobus.

20. Jetplague

Jetplague Michael Bay is evil!

GM is in trouble selling cars here in North America...they're looking to "Boost" interest in their models so why not a film. I to worked on GM cars and found them all to be utter crap in quality. It amazed me what these guys were approving and not giving a tinkering cuss of what "we" the production line were trying to tell them. Its their own fault for not paying closer attention to what people were saying and just throwing anything out there because they thought it would sell.

Now their looking to generate interest in the movie because they know that families will be there watching these cars...hoping the adults will be inspired to drive a GM car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.