Why is Fortress Maximus so expensive?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bodine1231, May 28, 2009.

1. bodine1231

bodine1231 Knowledge is Annoyin

Just curious as to why this guy is so expensive. Was he a limited release?

I wish I would have kept mine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Probably my best Christmas ever,lol!

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    A) it's huge, 22" tall, and extremely bulky for his height as well.
    B) he was $99 originally, and of course, has only gone up instead of down in value as 21 years have gone by
    C) he has a lot of accessories, which of course by their very nature mean a lot get lost
    D) his primary color is white, which is the easiest color to yellow with age, so finding one that is white isn't THAT easy to do
    E) did I mention he's 21 years old??

3. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    I'm more disturb why they can't reissue this bad-ass FM. We have people willing to drop hundreds of dollars on the used ones and other reissue like the Predaking.

Other than that, kinda wish I can go back in time and purchased a MISB for $300 back in '98!

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    he almost was for RID, as Brave Max, but he couldn't pass the drop-test.

5. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Man, if I could go back in time I'd go back to 1988 with $1000 and pick up 10 MISB brand new ones.

6. shigeoj24

shigeoj24 Well-Known Member

Brave Max/Fort Max didn't pass the drop test according to US standards. Fort Max was released as Brave Max in Japan, so perhaps Fort Max might be released again through the Japanese Encore line. However, I heard that Brave Max didn't sell very well, so who knows if Takara Tomy wants to take on that potential risk...

7. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    problem is always numbers my friend. "Why cant they reissue it?" because it is not worth their time. in order to make something that big remotely affordable is not gonna happen. maybe they could get by with $200-$250 price tag. considering how much brave max original retail was. but again your logic is flawed. just because a measely handful of people are willing to spend $500+ on one doesnt mean takara can make it. The buying power of those few people buying fort maxes are what? Somewhere in the 20-50 people at most? maybe lets exaggerate and say there are 100-200 people willing to spend $200 for a reissue FM. that is no where NEAR enough for Takara to even bother blinking an eye at let alone think about make it again.

toy is too big so costs will be high and low demand. just because people are hard up for a FM and are willing to dish out money does not mean that demand is high. granted demand for FM is high in terms of price. But the type of "demand" that Takara and hasbro are looking for are in the thousands.

just look at how many sets of botcon exlcusives come in. 1000 units+ even then that is a small run. Could Hasbro or Takara really sell all 1000+ reissue fortmaxes? maybe but again is it even worth their time? probably not.

8. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    sadly that's about right

while they could do it in Japan the price and demand just don't make it profitable. Shame IMO I'd love one in any colour

9. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    Then why can't they sell it internationally? Special order or something. Prepaid perhaps. I thought there are plentiful of TF fans worldwide??

10. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    toy standards as some one else pointed out.

Plus I don't see Hasbro ever doing it given that no store would ever stock it given the space needed for such a niche product.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    its was a high end toy to begin with, and given that not nearly as many were made as the smaller figures, and given the time passed most are out of box and even fewer are MIB and many are missing many pieces, so that makes a rare toy even rarer to find in good condition which drives up price, and the fact that reissue as is isn't possible and a remake isn't going to be cost effective at a price most can afford, makes the Original more desireable

12. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    You are making the assumption that "plentiful TF fans" = same number of people who WILL buy FM Reissue. but you would be wrong. There are a lot of TF fans however not all of them like the same thing. Most certainly not all of them like Fortmax. The problem will always come down to money. "Is it profitable for Has/Tak to make a fortmax reissue?" the answer is no. Just cant sell enough to make it worth their while.

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    very true, a lot of collectors simply don't have the space to display a FM, and some of the ones that do don't have the money, others are not interested, so you've narrowed a niche market three times, there's no way that it will be profitable for takara to reissue sadly,

14. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Yeah, I'm one of the few who don't really care about the figure. He's big and cool, but I wouldn't even bother to purchase a reissue even if it were released at the original $99 price point. I could get several TF's that I would probably like better for the same cost.

15. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I want a MIB one, and prepaird to pay for him.

16. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

Because every time if looks like he might get rereleased, the idiots who force us to buy toxic mercury filled lightbulbs that will break if dropped from a couple of feet up howl and shriek about the horrifyingly explosive carnage that might ensue if a large plastic toy is thrown from an upstairs window and a kid is also dumb enough to eat all of the pieces.

17. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    sadly that will NEVER happen. Just think about what toys are made today that cost $100. Not because of their exclusivity or demand but actual value of a toy that is and should cost $100+. Chogokin toys by Bandai and Macross by Yamato are two that come to mind. Oh also CM's Brave Gokin line are expensive. but lots of detail and diecast. None of those are nearly as big as FM. Although manufacturing and production of these toys differ, the point is that there are a lot of toys that fetch a high retail and even then they pale in size as FM. I think FM would cost a LOT more. Also $99 back in the mid 80's is NOT the same as now. Just look back at cost of living compared to now. Inflation happens.

18. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    that's right, blame the stupid american children and their even dumber parents.

19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    id buy a remake of it, even if it was just repaint of the most recent Metroplex from TF Cybertron, my display space is at a premium but id make space, and unless i get extraordinarily lucky a G1 Fort Max is decent condition is out of my finanical reach as the current lowest price for one in acceptable condtion for me ( has both headmasters and at least 50% of other pieces) on Ebay is $995.00 and $930.00 on BBTS

20. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    dont despair. You can piece on together. I have done it as have many others. I did not spend anywhere near that kind of money though.