Why is Energon Galvatron so rare?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sammael, May 20, 2007.

1. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Having returned to TF collecting only recently, I just learned about Energon Galvatron a few weeks ago. The robot mode is awesome and a dead-ringer for G1 cartoon Galvatron, so, naturally, I figured I should get one ASAP. Unfortunately, he seems to be very hard to obtain.

Looking at eBay, there are tons of G1 Galvatrons, but only one or two Energon Galvatrons for auction (I prefer BIN whenever possible) with outrageous international shipping prices (I paid less to get my MP-04 shipped to me from Hong Kong than what one seller wants to ship Galvatron from the USA... yeah, right).

I also checked a number of popular stores, but they don't have it for sale.

What's the deal here? Energon only came out a couple of years ago, and, from what I've heard, Energon figs were still on shelves in some countries until very recently (my country included, but we never got Galvy here). Was he a store exclusive or something?

2. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He was not an exclusive but is popular because of how closely he resembles G1 Galvatron.

3. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

he also came in late in the game.... around here we hardly got any powerlinx battle packaging energon figs....

id say he had somewhat bad distribution as most late in the game figures above deluxe class get when a line starts winding down

4. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    I have one for sale, 40 plus shipping if your interested

5. Sammael

News Credits:
    Thanks for the offer, PM sent.

6. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i've always prefered the original "megatron" verison of mr. general galvatron myself, he looks a lot closer to the toy verison, which i've always thought was much better then purple galvatron, especially in those bright colors g1 got repainted in, and energon galvatron got bright colors too. it would of been nicer if he was darker purples, with out the greys but with blacks or something. the reason why he is so rare though, is because everyone wanted him, how ever, he does not meet my tastes in a "villian" lol.

7. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

If I didn't have the anime G1 Galvy reissue I would have gotten it. Sadly I have the Energon Meg instead.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    As I recall, a lot of people had a job finding this one at retail. He came much later in the line than the Galvatron repaint usually does, since Megatron also launched a little later that line.

Far as I know, he had a lot more limited distribution than the other one.

9. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Galvatron is "rare" because a LOT of late commers (like the individual here) are after him. I think the same thing is occuring with early Cybertron as well, the movie is jump starting interest in the brand, and now people are scrambling to get older products that sold through.

Galvatron wasn't all that rare in my area, hell, 3 made it to clearance at Target, but damn near EVERY Walmart was screwed because of that stupid Megatron overstock in the beginning of 2004.

10. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Didn't know it was rare. But I did know it looks 100 times better than Energon Megatron. :) 

11. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I got lucky on this one. I usually have very little money on me (as I've been unemployed for 2 years... got an interview tomorrow though) but I bought this guy back in February of 2005. I'll assume I bought him with money I got from my birthday. Anyway, while a lot of people I talked to had trouble finding him in their areas, I saw him pretty regularly in mine. Really glad to own him

12. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

It's a combination of several things.

First, he came out late in the line.

Second, Energon Leader Class figures were notorious shelf warmers. Most people hated the Optimus Prime mold, and while the Megatron was more popular, Hasbro way overproduced it. It was not unusual to see several dozen Megatron toys on shelves at any individual store. Since there were too many Megatron and nobody was buying Optimus Prime, a lot of stores had a glut of Leader class toys and didn't order many (if any at all) Galvatron toys. They just didn't have space on the shelves.

Finally, his resemblance to G1 Galvatron makes him highly sought after by collectors. Those who have it mostly aren't parting with it at this point.

So, he was always rare, even from the start, and now he's even moreso.

13. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

Yeah, the whole "where is megatron?!" promotion walmart did really flooded the shelves. I ended up finding a Galvatron at a Kmart behind some dusty toys way back then.

14. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

i bought galvatron at walmart right before cybertron hit. It was only $15 or so. IT was one of three that were on the shelves forever and didn't sell until they were on cleance. The box was so dusty I had to clean it off before i brought it in the house LOL.

15. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i bought 3 from kb at 25 a pop.

16. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I never actually ever saw him at retail. My mom found him at a store downtown for me.

17. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, as the others mentioned he was a latecomer in the line, though I did see some in KB toy stores as overstock/clearanced items once the line had ended. But, I would tend to think they're gone or will be replaced by last year's stock of Cybertron (and if there's any left, a bunch of clearanced Supreme Screamers').

Anyways, good luck with your search. I have both versions, but the purple version is indeed nicer, more imposing, and regal at the same time.:) 

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I feel your pain... or I did, anyway...

I found an Energon Megatron pretty cheap, but I really wanted an Energon Galvatron because of the resemblance to G1. I came across him in retail a few times, but always at full price (which around here in Canada was around $60-70), so I said "Screw that...I already have the grey version. I'll just watch Ebay."

And I watched... and I watched... and I watched... and the prices didn't get any lower, and the bidding just kept getting higher. It was dispiriting.

Finally, I discovered the For Sale forum here, and ended up buying him from another forum member for a pretty decent price. Huzzah!

What Ebay deprives, TFW2005 provides.

Sometimes. :) 

zmog

19. Sammael

News Credits:
    Heh. I am not really a latecomer; I still have all my G1 stuff from way back in the '80s; I also spent 3 years living in the USA (from 1997-2000) and I got back into TFs at that time (I recall buying G1 stuff from people on ATTM, as well as hunting down BW and BMach figures in local Wal*Marts and such). Unfortunately, I left all those Transformers with my roommate in the US, thinking that I would return and pick it up eventually. I lost contact with him, and I'm not really sure if he even has the stuff anymore.

I wanted to buy MP-01 REALLY REALLY badly when it originally came out, but I managed to resist the lure. However, when I saw MP-03 and MP-04, I just knew I had to have them. After that, I got a couple of Alternators, then some Classics, then some Cybertron, then Titanium 6"... no turning back now. Honestly, I think this is the best time EVER to be a TF collector.

There are some very nice Cybertron and Energon figures which I still need to get (Blurr, Arcee)...
    ...however, the movie had nothing whatsoever to do with sparking my interest. It was MP-03 and MP-04 that managed to lure me back into spending hundreds of dollars on toys.

20. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got mine on clearance at Target. I thought I got a deal until I saw piles of them at KB Toys for dirt cheap.