Why is Cybertron Scourge ins Black and Orange hard to find?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Scythe, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    I'm recently looking for a black and orange Cybertron Scourge and can't find anything but Cryo Scourge. Seriously, what gives?

Is Cryo Scourge worth getting?

2. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I got the Cryo version, looked cool. Passed on the black and orage one.

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Original red FTW. He's worth getting.

[​IMG]

4. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

The character has a flame-inspired scheme that <i>almost</i> produces the impression that he is set ablaze.

Many of the Cybertron larger figures have increased in value. Many have not, such as Mudflap.

5. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    It looks cool.

6. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    The first release of the Cybertron toys are far more sought after than the second repainted release. For instance, it is hard to find the first version of Optimus Prime (red, blue and silver), but because people don't really want him Galaxy Force Optimus Prime (the red and black version) is very easy to find.

It is simply a matter of the show accurate first releases are what collectors really want, not the later repaints. Thats why your only able to find Cryo Scourge.

7. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    Oh I see. I actually preferred the black and red Optimus, but still, an orange Scourge is pretty sweet.

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I miss both of the scourges :(  At least I know they have a good home, at liokaiser's palace.

9. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I think he looks cooler IMO.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

Also, "Leader" key FTW. Cryo Scourge comes with a silver-framed Jungle Planet key(doesn't look as cool in the Omega Lock) :( 

11. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

If only he had wrist articulation...

There are a few red&black Scourges on ebay.

12. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    Scourge was part of the Wave 1 Cybertron launch figures (July 2006). By the time Scourge became a relevant part of the storyline, he was long removed from case assortments ... replaced by CDF Red Alert (November 2006). By the time Scourge became a good guy, he was already fetching $80+ on eBay ... he was about a year removed from cases at that point (April 2007).

Cybertron figures were WAY WAY WAY ahead of their cartoon debut. The most expensive Cybertron figures today were the ones that appeared early for purchase, but didn't make sense on TV quite yet.

Supreme Starscream - released July 2006 - became relevant on TV around February of 2007.

Galvatron - released December 2006 - became relevant on TV around May 2007. He was quickly replaced around March 2007 by Metroplex.

Leobreaker - released October 2006, again for Target's Easter selection in 2007 - same story, not relevant until after the fact.

Evac - released October 2006, again for Target's Easter selection in 2007 - same story, not relevant until after the fact.

By the time the public wanted Cybertron figures, the 2nd or 3rd repaints were only available. That line moved way too quickly.

13. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    just a random bit ... I was in Taiwan last May and saw this:

[​IMG]

at the time, Cybertron Scourge and Wing Saber were pulling $80 on eBay. The most prized figures in the US went for about $16 in Asia ... and shelf warming too.

14. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    Given equal choice between both I'd have picked orange Scourge for the whole "aflame" look, but only by a thin margin. But I ended up with a choice of a $10 brand new Cryo Scourge vs hunting down and paying $60+ for orange so getting Cryo for a fraction of the price was a no brainer.

I really like Cryo too - it really comes down to a fire vs ice thing. I think having one of each would be one of the few times I'm tempted to have the same bot in different color schemes...

15. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :cry  all those cheetors, the only titanium i really wanted and i never saw him, i got the Ultra Magnus but...

Anyway Distribution always has been crap in the uk.

16. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Excellent post.

Am I the only one who is just in awe of the prices for these toys? When I came back into the hobby I was behind the curve on G1, Beast Wars, & RiD. I managed to buy all of AEC toys either at or below retail.

Now they're worth a small fortune.

I'm happy about it for sure, but damn if not at the same time kind of startled.

17. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

The madness that is eBay prices for Cybertron make me wish I'd held onto the stuff I didn't like for another six months or so, because hot damn, are many expensive now. It's even spreading to common ones like Sideways and Thunderblast, suddenly touted as being "rare." They weren't rare when they hung around for months at Wal-Marts and ended up in those TRU three-packs!

18. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Cyro Scourge was one of the last Cybertron releases and at the unpopular Ultra size. He is still popping up on clearance every once and a while (i.e. in SQ1 Walmart outside Toronto for $10).

I can say that all the CyroScourges on ebay are people buying them at clearance and reselling (lots of Cdn seller Cyro Scourge, Menosaur, and Sky Shadow on ebay right now because of the sale).

19. omega ranger

omega ranger Well-Known Member

I think I did pretty good on the Cybertron line, but I got in so late!!! They were putting them on clearance when I got into TF's. There was a few I remember I should have gotten. Especially Evac, I saw him at a K-Mart on mega-clearance then never again. But I just scored a really awesome deal on a Power Rangers board- Movie Leader Prime, Cybertron Leader Prime (the original) and Wing Saber- for thirty bucks.

Supreme Starscreams' I thought were going really cheap. They shelfwarmed at my TRU forever, and Primus went fast. SS was just a Voyager supersized, he really needed detailing and that missile launcher that came with the Voyager. But the price is soaring, and then I noticed the Decepticons from Cybertron soaring. Thunderblast, Sideways, Galvatron, all going up in value. Scourge too.

20. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    I buy the figures I like first, but it sure is reassuring seeing there's value in this stuff. If I ever ran into an emergency situation or wanted to buy something large (car / house), it's good to know that I can get the money if I had to.

Too bad you're not in the states. : \ Target runs all sorts of crazy clearances after the holidays, often dropping the price of figures 75%. About 2 years ago, I grabbed these guys:
    [​IMG]
    $50 was the MSRP for 1, these were dropped down to $12.48. I would have gotten more ... but 3 was a terrible stretch as is, so I left the other 5+ on the shelf.

Now? Uhhh ...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/TRANSFORMERS-CY...yZ150193QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Did not see this coming.