Why is cleanersmen paid low wages?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beachbabe, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:

oh crap, it does.

:lol  :lol 

2. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    You know, there are a LOT of jobs where people are away from their families for very long periods of time, and they don't make jack in the grand scheme of things. A truck driver and a soldier come to mind. Truckers sleep in boxes not much bigger than a closet. Soldiers sleep where ever they can, be it a bed, cot, or ditch. So, some pansy actor/actress having to live in million dollar motorhome or fancy hotel for a few months while they work their manicured fingers to the bone making a movie will get NO pity from me. Oh, I forgot, they miss the spouse and little ones, too.

3. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

My brother in law's a Huntsville, AL city cop. Works a few jobs on the side. My sister apparently has expensive tastes :lol 

4. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    ...And there you go. :lol 

:lol 

It does!

5. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    That's very true, they also have to deal with their consciences as they bankrupt another OAP to sell them windows they don't need.

Heheheheh.

6. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Where is this place you speak of cause I need to go work there is they are getting that much for a part time job. I do get 25 an hour for part time but I dont work them that much. I do agree with the training and equipment though.

7. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    The cost of living is much higher in the Northeast than in Alabama. While $54 an hour for OT is on the high end of the scale, it's not unheard of.

Every spring, the local papers like to report who the top earners are for city and town employees in the area. Here's a few examples:

Danvers' top salaries - 2007

Marblehead's top salaries - 2007

Peabody's top salaries - 2007

Salem's top salaries - 2007

Swampscott's top salaries - 2007

Topsfield's top salaries - 2007

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong in thinking it's odd that a regular patrolman can make a 6-figure salary that bests the salary of the mayor, or that of their own chief.

8. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Yeah those guys are working a shit load of overtime especially the first guy.

9. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    It's the beauty of a system where a minute over four hours gets you automatically paid for eight hours.

Using the standard model of time and a half, that Danvers patrolman would have had to work an extra 69.42 days of OT (at $52.05/hr judging by his base salary) to make that kind of money.

Then again, my math could be completely wrong.

10. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I made 4.25$ an hour when I cleaned bathrooms and mowed lawns when I was 14 in 1992.

Since most of my co-workers were criminals doing community service or strung out junkies, I was the only one who did any work.

But eventually I was the only one responsible enough to be trained on large machinery, so I ende dup mowing lawns for 8 hours ont he giant toro mower while they cleaned up poopie.