Why is Beast Wars popular? Did I miss out?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Manok, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Manok

Manok Well-Known Member

Just to put it out there, I'm a 33 year old who grew up with transformers and never missed the cartoon after school. Not to mention GI Joe, etc...

I'm concerned that I know nothing about BWs and don't own any BW figures. Maybe because BW started in 95 when I was in college and I just missed out. Is it worth looking up old episodes and trying to get excited about it?

Also, I just got back into collecting TFs. I mostly collect the ones I remember as a kid..predaking had me falling out of my chair in excitement when BBTS put the preorder up. I remember as a kid looking at them at KBtoys when they were brand new and being unable to afford them.

2. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    I'd give it a try, at least. It's different, almost like Transformers meets Star Trek, but it's pretty solid most of the way.

3. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

lets see,first it was a very original concept,second it had a great show and toy line and three. megatron,yesssss... also it had something for the animal lovers in mind.

4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Don't worry about it. It's over and done with now. If you have the time and you're curious, by all means check it out.

5. knightmare6

knightmare6 Reflector In Disguise

Ebay:
    I liked it. While the first season was a mish-mosh with very little inter-connected episodes, seasons two and three had a solid storyline in mind.

6. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah. You missed out. Beast Wars is popular due to its excellent show, actual characterization, and some neat-o toys.

The animation in the first season seems a bit dated, but its can still slug it out with shows today since the quality writing is still intact. The show aged pretty well actually. I didn't care much for it until last summer, and came out a lover after watching it.

7. Thyme

Thyme Disciple of Yun-Harla

There is more of a majority of Transformer fans that seem to like Beats Wars for its better descriptive story line then the G1 series. I for one like both of them and highly recommend watching all three seasons on youtube.

8. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Beast Wars is popular because of the show. It had a smaller cast due to the expense of CGI at the time but it allowed for a lot more character development. It winds up referencing G1 in the second and third seasons, and Starscream even made a cameo in a Season one episode!

I'm 33 as well, I watched it in college. Give it a shot on youtube or Netflix!

9. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Beast Wars is what drew me back into TFs. You'll love it.

10. Manok

Manok Well-Known Member

I have a trip to Egypt coming up and I'll probably down load some episodes for my ipod. thanks for the responses.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Where G1 had a large cast with characters who would only appear for a single episode or for a few lines every once in a while and then fade into the background, every character in Beast Wars is crucial to the plot, well-defined and with intriguing relationships to pretty much every other character (at least the ones on their side). Where G1 centres around a far-reaching civil war spanning the stars, Beast Wars focuses on two crews from two ships stranded on an alien world that is as hazardous to them as their opponents. Beast Wars deals with time travel, alien technology, religious (and semi-religious) prophecy, and all the while makes you care about what the characters are feeling as each episode ties into an overarching season theme.

You might not be able to get into the alt modes, but the show is rock solid, even today, and is definitely worth watching.

12. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm around the same age as you, and I got into it late, like end of second season when it was still on TV. Trust me, check it out. If you liked G1, you will like this, it is a continuation of the old story and it's more grown up than the cheesy old cartoons. Trust me.

13. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I would definitely watch it.

14. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The concept of the Transformers being human sized animals rather than big mechanical machines might take some time to adapt to, but once you're through that it's definitely a great part of the franchise.

Excellent tv show..maybe the 3d is dated, which could harm your viewing pleasure, but it has some great characters and story.

15. Mykamusprime

Mykamusprime Well-Known Member

I ONLY liked G1! People tried to convince me that Beast Wars was a great show but I kept saying "Thats stupid! Robots that turn into animals" then my brother in law let me borrow the complete 1st season, I watched expecting to be bored witless but it amazed me! Needless to say I am now amongst the biggest BW fans, I absolutely love that storyline. I now own all 1st, 2nd, & 3rd seasons. Even Ravage makes an appearance. You will love the episode "Code of Hero" I'm saying no more about it, do not want to spoil it. You're gonna have to see it yourself! If you watch it and don't like it, you can PM me and call me a dumbass. :) 

16. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Season 1 is kinda rough, especially early on but just stick with it and I'm sure your like it

17. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I forgot about Ravage at first. I like that they used a character that would be in scale with the main cast, and he had a badass Russian accent!

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Yeah definitely check it out! I was definitely a "Trukk not Munkky!" guy when I first saw the toys on the shelves but I watched a few episodes when it was still on the air and was very pleasently surprised. Then I caved and bught the DVDs back in '06 and loved it. The firstfew episodes are a ittle rough, but it definitely gets better after that. The last good Transformers TV show in my opinion.

19. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Beast Wars is popular because it is the first Transformers television show where the writers didn't insult the viewing audience's intelligence. It's a very mature show, with very mature subject matter that to this day still makes me think about things differently.

Combine excellent writing with a vocal cast that's top notch, characterization the likes of which we've only recently seen in TF:A, and transformers toys back on the shelves after the Dark Age, and you have your reasons why Beast Wars is popular. Even after all these years, with the G1 show showing it's age and the relative lackluster stories, Beast Wars remains a show you can pick up and watch without feeling embarassed or talked down to. It remains one of the top animated shows ever produced.

20. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

You have to remember that by '95, Transformers had gotten a bit stale. Beast Wars as a new direction and fresh take on the gimmick of going from a robot to something else.

That plus the show, which was fine- I just wish it had kept standing on its own legs rather than shoehorning itself into G1.

Personally, it's not my thing. I found greater mystique in the thought that any car I passed by on the road could secretly be an Autobot, or the line-up of jets at Boeing could be Decepticons.

Beats going to Woodland Park Zoo and seeing Optimus Primal sitting next to his own pile of poop.