Why is BBTS putting an orange cap on their Justitoys MP-05 kits?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Basketball Jones, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

The silencer doesn't look like a realistic firearm. It looks like a painted plastic tube.

Even the combined cannon mode looks like a toy artillery piece rather than an actual firearm of some sort.

Shouldn't BBTS place an orange cap on any cylinder they sell? There's always the chance someone may place it on a toy gun.

2. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    They're playing it safe, that's all.

3. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

I imagine its part of the law for things to go with toy guns.

4. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    BBTS just doesn't want to take any heat. They're just playing the game, they didn't make up the rules. And besides, the plug pulls right out.

5. Lament

Lament Active Member

Try buyin any piece of Megatron (in any G1 form) in Australia if ya live in NSW or VIC, even dealers here display openly that they will not ship there because of state laws :( 

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Just get it somewhere else.

Don't they glue that sucker in there? I've heard stories of drills being needed to get it out.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    The "rules" say nothing about black plastic sticks needing to be capped.
    It'll only pull right out if they use the same plug they used for MP5. and even then, some were glued in really tight. if they use the same plug they used for TFC-06 Megatron, forget it. it's a hard plastic plug that is glued in really tight, with a rounded tip so you can't grip it to tear it out. you have to drill it out.

8. Rewind

News Credits:
    Well gee, I guess BBTS must be putting it in because they think it looks good then.

Do you really think BBTS would bother putting it in there if they didn't think or know it was neccessary? Why would they go to the trouble of opening packages, placing plugs in and potentially upsetting customers just for the hell of it? They wouldn't. I don't want any plugs in my toys, either, but I'm just looking at this rationally.

As far as my comment about the plug pulling right out, it's an assumption based on the MP-05 Megatron plug which, I remember reading from several people, pulled right out.

9. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    I purchased my MP-05 Megatron from them, and the plug came out easily enough. As Eriku (and others have assumed), if it's the same plug & same diameter barrel on the scope, it should come out easily enough...

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Yes. we know it's not neccesary since so many US retailers have sold TFC-06, MP5, and Encore Megatron without the plug. BBTS will even sell loose megatrons without the plug.

11. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    While I haven't been able to pull up the actual federal law, I have kept finding this portion quoted a few times so far...

Anyone want to buy a bright pink Megatron? How about a bright purple silencer set?

-Now, a translucent Megatron & silencer set would be neat though... :D 

As for the Megatron toys made before the law was enacted before '88, I believe they are exempt from the law... but that's a guess on my part...

12. Rewind

News Credits:
    Well then, like I said before, we can only assume they're doing it because they think it looks neat. It only makes sense that they would want to upset their customers for no reason.

Look, I'm not trying to be a BBTS cheerleader here, but I tend to look at things in life rationally. It's not like BBTS has some big board with a spinner on it that they use to make arbitrary decisions. They may take their business more seriously than many other online toy stores and in which case would want to cover their butts in case any legal scenario should pop up for whatever reason.

If you want to believe they're just doing it for some other reason than laws and regulations, go right ahead. But please illustrate what you think that reason is. And "Because they're crazy" doesn't count. Unless you have a photocopy of Joel's admission papers into an insane asylum. :p 

13. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's the thing, though -- they seem to be doing just that, as far as I can tell. As long as they continue to sell this Robocop gun, this PotC gun, and the occasional second-hand TFC-06/D-16 Megatron reissues without orange plugs, they're breaking the law just as much as they would if they sold MP-05 and Encore Megs without plugs.

That appears to be correct. Here is the actual text of the applicability part of the law:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  14. Rewind

News Credits:
    Maybe whatever regulation they're following is only applicable to 'new' or 'in package' items. Seems ridiculous, yes, but so do half of the laws and regulations for every facet of life in America.

15. zap dragon

zap dragon Well-Known Member

meg rule for both bbts and ebay

on the new megs, bbts has to follow the law /need to put plug
    on the old they are grandfathered in / dont need plug,

ebay on the other hand is doing it for all megs, old and new

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    ebay isnt doing it at all anymore. you can find all sorts of megatrons for auction there. some people have stuck marker caps in the barrels, some havent. auctions arent getting pulled either way.