Why In The World Would Hasbro Cancel The GREATEST GI Joe Line Ever?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by GrimlockAutobot, Nov 2, 2007.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    do you have a blue cobra commander?

2. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    I'm going to have to go ahead and say you don't know what you're talking about. And I'm sure quite a few others would as well. If the figures were so terrible we wouldn't be able to make the great customs we do just by adding a little paint. I suggest you check out the Tricked Out Power Suit! section of JBL. These figures have tons of potential. The demise of this line is because of poor strategy on the part of Hasbro, not because of the quality of the line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

There was definitely influence from the classic Joe line.

There wasn't a real 'build your army' philosophy and seemed to return to the small team of covert soldiers on a mission. I kinda liked that take, but it didn't get me to buy anything past the first wave's Storm Shadow.

And when a toy property is failing, presenting to kids a toy that doesn't exactly scream 'you need em all' when every other toy property is doing so finds you suddenly attaching blinking lights to packages before finally calling it quits.

Edit: also, Moon's B.A.T. rocks.

4. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Yeah thats what I was thinking because I think the 25th line is the best line ever or recently. My heart kinda jumped a few beats when I read the title.

5. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    QFT!!!

As for S6 Personally I despised it. The Cartoon was Garbage, and most of the sculpts looked like they were based off a bad PS1 3-D Fighting Game Bad Polygons everywhere. Who has Hard Angle Mussels? :puke: 

6. Brawl

Brawl Master of Destruction

First off I do know what I'm talking about. Second I said a few were okay. Namely the Iron Grenadiers and such. But look at Beachhead there. Look at his legs and his arms. They look horrible. What the hell kind of anatomy sculpture is that? It's just a lame looking figure. The few that work (mainly the Cobra figs, SE & SS) are cool and look great for customizing though.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Sigma 6 was a brilliant line. I just wish they had properly released it over here.

8. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I agree. Sigma 6 are absolutely the toys I've had the most fun with. They are totally awesome!

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    that was the exact complaint I had when the line first came out. However, the more I thought about, the more I felt that was a bad kneejerk reaction, like hating Beast Wars because they're organic, or the movie toys because I disliked bay's designs (which the toys themselves barely resembled). I dont really like making bad judgement calls like that, so I bought both of the Firefly figures, and I liked them a lot.

But, at the same time, I'd hardly call them "the greatest gi joe line." The articulation is good, but not Marvel Legends good, or Classics Mirage good. Despite all the right arm joints, plus enhanced wrists, the joints felt blocky and tight, I couldnt seem to do much with them. I usually focus more on leg poses than arms, but that department seemed even more of a let down. Their odd proportions seemed to mess up the center of gravity, I couldnt balance them as well in one-legged stances as I could a smaller Joe.

They were a lot of fun for diorama type poses, like hanging from trees or crawling through the grass, but for normal standing poses, I couldnt do very much with them. But, the diorama stuff I had a lot of fun with, and I found them a lot easier to use in that department than I do with small Joes, which fall over a lot and dont have hands big enough to grip branches. Their weapons and the pegging system give them some good play value, and despite their animated style, they come across as cool military figures (or, cool "futuristic spy" figures). Plus they had a lot of quirky ideas, like the Ninja Master guy.

I didnt watch the cartoon, because I expect most modern action cartoons to not be worth much (as bad as the cartoon may have been, I doubt it was any worse than the crap Transformers has put up with since Beast Machines ended). I'm a toy man first and foremost, ans as much as I enjoyed the Cybertron toys, I enjoyed the Sigma 6 toys.

10. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    The IG's are sculpted in the same style as the other S6 figures (80% of the IG is recycled parts), so make up your mind. And if you insist on insulting one of my customs I would like to see you do something better. Also, I would like to know why; if it's so lame, I did 3 commissions after making the origional for myself?

11. Brawl

Brawl Master of Destruction

Did you sculp the muscles on the figure? I don't think so. That's what I was referring too. I think the overall proportions and bad anatomy ruin the figures. Don't take offense to your work I wasn't referring to it. Your custom work is nice, but I don't like the BASE FIGURE!!!

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    be careful in your tone. you're insulting him and baiting as well, both infraction-warranting offenses of Board Rules violations. I suggest you read 'em and brush up on them. You won't be told again.

13. David

David Here for a good time, not a long time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    This Thread is so funny!!

14. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    I've seen some posts in this thread that the 25th Joes are the best Joe line ever. I'd have to respectfully disagree. The figures in the 25th line will always be classic and timeless and the new sculpts are pretty awesome but the S6 figures are just better.

Also, someone suggested that GI Joe went back to it's roots with the 3 3/4 inch line. That statement is false. GI Joe was going back to it's roots with the larger figures in the S6 line because that's what GI Joe started out as. Larger soldier figures that our fathers played with in the 1960's and 70's

The S6 line could've gone so much farther than the 25th line. by simply introducing some more of the core characters and by not producing so many different versions of the same characters.

Comparing the 25th Joes to S6 is like comparing G1 to Transformers Classics. While The 25th line and G1 will always be great because they remind us of our childhoods, Classics and S6 are simply the better lines from each franchise. (The figures themselves are better in pound for pound comparison to the originals.)

S6 getting cancelled prematurely is like TF Classics getting cancelled before it's time. (Thank God that didn't happen.)

15. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    You're joking, right? Crappy articualtion does not make a "great" line. Maybe if their joints didn't suck @$$, and Scarlett didn't look like a '**** riding movie Arcee and Duke could hold his rifle in a realistic pose. They look pretty standing straight up, but beyond that the figures are garbage.

I agree with the 8"ers being the greatest Joe line. It was cancelled due to poor sales. Which was due to poor marketing. So, Hasbro cancelled it because they didn't know how to sell it.

That, and too many Dukes, Snake Eyes and Storm Shadows. Which, again...leads to poor marketing.

Let's hope the similiarities continue, and we get Sigma 2.0... :D 

16. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    What I meant by going back to their roots was the Movie will be based on the classic 3" 3/4 story that Hasbro introduced in 1982 w/ the ARAH line. I'm fully aware of the 12" line where GIJoe first got it's start, but what eventually made the Joes so mainstream was w/ the introduction of the 3 3/4" scale (thanks in part to Star Wars) plus the animated show and Marvel's comic run.

17. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
  18. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

Personally, I collect toys almost purely for the nostalgic value, and let me say up front that I am biased. But for me, I love the 25th anniversary line, but only considered buying Zartan from the Sigma line, which I never did. To me, the 25th Joes are the equivalent of what the Alts were for the TFs: they are more realistic, detailed, poseable versions of the toys and characters that I loved as a kid. So, to me, its Joes for adults who can appreciate quality updates of toys from their youth. To me, the Sigma Joes aren't really "GI Joes" as I conceive them to be. I never watched the show, so I can't say for certain, but I perceive them to be Joes for little kids, as they were marketed to be. I think that's the opinion of a lot of people that have a knee-jerk hatred for the Sigma line, unwarranted though it may be.

19. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I can see the logic behind that.

But for me personally, I view S6 as the ALTs of GI Joe since they shared a similar fate and the 25th line as the G1 reissues of TF.

20. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Me =sad

wallet = happy

I love the S6 line, but it will be kind of nice to rearrange or build the display without worrying about needing more space. Almost feels good to be complete and done with something