Why In The World Would Hasbro Cancel The GREATEST GI Joe Line Ever?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by GrimlockAutobot, Nov 2, 2007.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    In my hunt for Masterpiece Starscream I found Sigma 6 (I still call them Sigma 6) Dark Ninja Master, Windfire Cobra Commander, and Crime Boss Destro.

These figures are simply AMAZING. The line is obviously still packed with awesomeness. The figures are flawless and packed with tons of accessory goodness.

My question is: why would Hasbro discontinue this line? Do they not like money or something? This line still had alot to offer and the three figures I picked up are the prime example of that.

It is totally stupid for them to shut this line down. What do you think about this issue.

As a sidenote, now that I have Windfire Cobra Commander, I'm looking to acquire the original blue version of this figure. Are any of the three figures that I picked up particularly rare?

I'm not as up on my GI Joe as I am with TF's. Can someone please enlighten my about the availability of thes figures? Also, Blue Cobra Commander is a tough find on Evil-Bay so if anyone wants to set up a trade for a MISB Blue CC please let me know.

THANKS for posting!!

2. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

you probably have the rarest set out...it is in VERY short supply...as to why they canceled them...without a show the things simply piled up and warmed shelves like nobodies business.

3. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

Yep, they weren't selling, so they stopped being made. The 25th anniversary Joes are flying off the shelves, so there are plans to keep making them well into next year, at least.

4. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    I'm not sure why they'd be pegwarmers. These figures are amazing and people are missing out. Disappointing that they were cancelled.

So the three that I picked up are the rarest ones out?

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Sigma Six is hardly the greatest Joe line ever, but those guys are extreme shelfwarmers to point my stores stopped carrying them (and refused to carry the 25th Joes). Plus the cartoon was ass.

6. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

They didn't sell. The stores are all pegged with old figures and rarely order new ones. Not to mention the disastrous 2.5 inch line and 50 Snake Eyes.

7. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Intially, the line performed well. I too love most of the figures from the line, but Hasbro decided to go back to the "roots" of the Joes with their new movie coming in '09. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 8" scale again after the movie related items have come and gone...but again it's wishful hoping on my part.

As for the figures you recently picked up, those are from the last wave so in certain areas they may be hard to find. I've seen them several times around NC/SC where I live & work...Target, Wal-Mart and TRU in my area have had them and even restocked them. I think people who could care less for the line have picked up the Samurai figs as well as the newest Cobra Commander & Destro thinking they can make a quick profit off the figures (which may be the case), while in other regions they sit there and collect dust.

Either way you've got yourself some great figs. At least the line went out on a high note.

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Technically the 8" line is still in Hasbro's portfolio for the future. Right now it's on "hiatus" to focus on the 25th line and later the movie.

9. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

According to Hasbro, the reason for pushing hard for the Joe movie is that its one of their weakest properties. Nerf and My Little Pet Shop are a part of the success attributed to their 3rd quarter growth as well is Marvel and Transformers of course.

10. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

This thread title is misleading. I thought the 25th line had been canceled. ;) 

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Technically, so were the Alternators. And we know how that turned out.

12. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    The 25th Joes are great and all but, IMHO they don't have anything on the 8" S6 figures. The S6 line was the benchmark as far as detail, accessories, playability, and overall coolness as far as GI Joe figures are concerned.

All other Joe lines are AT LEAST a step below.

13. DorkimusPrime

DorkimusPrime King of the Squirrels

Every time I hear Sigma 6 I think of Six Sigma and I'm turned off at the thought of yet another Six Sigma Black Belt "needing" Microsoft Project and Visio. Nightmares of a corporate hell in which self-important and self-righteous training graduate called us to tell us how important they were and how they needed this software right away. I hated those assholes.

14. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The reason many people are so impressed with the 25th line is the are the old school joes with better sculpts. If they had done the 8 inch line with designs similar to the 25 they probably would have sold better. But on the other hand the 25 can still fit in many of the old vechicles and bases.

15. Brawl

Brawl Master of Destruction

No way. The S6 figs look gross to me. A few are all right, but they have nothing on the new 25th line. There is a lot of detail in those 3 3/4" figures. Hasbro has a success on their hands with this line and it will continue through '08 too.

16. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

Hasbro said the 8-inch line was a combo of a need to break from a failing 3 3/4" line, a need to market Joes to a younger audience, and the Xevoz concept BanY.J. developed. It didn't work. Xevoz didn't either, except online.

I think that's why we find poor distribution with 25th Joes at the moment. They're still considered low priority compared to proven lines that are assigned more attention for the holidays.

Hopefully after a successful quarter or half they'll get some real attention. In the meantime, do what we've been doing for the past 10 years; just be happy they're on the shelves in some capacity. :) 

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would have to say the 25th Joes are tops in terms of detail. S6 has some great accessories and great articulation, but they don't look in any way real and have a heavy animated influence, so not all Joe fans are going to love them.

The thing with me is, TFs are number one and get the lions share of my toy budget, but the 25th Joes have been getting a lot of attention from me because the great updates and being only 4.99-6.99. S6 goes for $10-$15 for normal figures, and I think that was a little high to attract the younger croud (or their parents at least), and the lower price point toys just didn't seem to stack up. That price range to me made me reluctant to get into them and I have only been buying ones I think stand out. With also loving TFs, being an S6 collector would just be too pricey.

18. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

I won't disagree that Sigma Six has some great figures, but I think you are overrating them a little too much. There's no way they set any benchmarks in detail. They could never replace the 3.75 line, but they were great for what they were.

19. tigermask44

tigermask44 Kills Cons Dead!

News Credits:
    I will tell you why I stopped collecting them, I ran out of space for them. I have scaled back to just the cobra figs but I did pick up a Dark Ninja Master. I will post all my joe sigma's in a for sale thread here in the future if anybody is interested.

20. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    Another huge reason the 8' line died is character selection. There's about about 7-10 versions each of Duke, SE, and SS in a line that was only out for a very short time. And they managed to not produce a single viper or trooper. If thats not a sure fire way to doom a Joe line I don't know what is.