Why I think TF4 should barely even have Optimus

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by transformervic1, May 19, 2012.

1. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    I've enjoyed the past 3 movies but finding out that there was going to be a 4th one was a bit of a bummer for me. I know that in order for the series to not get repetitive, they're going to have to make alot of changes. The first change that popped into mind was not using Optimus as the main character. He would still be there, but send in a rookie autobot to be the star (and no not bumblebee, because he's almost a damn veteran killing Cons as easy as Optimus). Reason being is because even since rotf, prime has been nothing but a killing machine killing anything and anyone that crosses his path. This does 2 things to him and the decepticons: Makes him seem overpowered, and boring; makes the decepticons seem weak and un-coordinated.

It may sound overused and i know you've heard this a billion+ times, but use Hotrod for christs sake, or hell, cliffjumper(no comic citing PLEASE). This time if Bay is still going to just stuff explosions everywhere the cast goes then at least he can put a new autobot in the middle of them fighting beside optimus.

2. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    No i mean optimus. however i also think bumblebee should take a break too.

3. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Yes and not promoting optimus to sell more toys in à tf4 movie is something hasbro would do. Sorry aint happening

4. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I say kill them both in the beginning, then introduce a new gen of characters for three more films.

G.I. Joe 2 comes to mind

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

If re-imagined meant bringing Prime back down to the first movie power level then I don't think we'd have the one bot army problem the character is now.

Prime and Bonecrusher felt like a good film fight because Prime wasn't overpowering Bonecrusher to the point that it felt totally loop sided in Prime's favor. Nothing really sadistic on Prime's part either since it felt like he had to take an opening while it was there in what seemed like a sword fight in other films.

Prime and Megatron in the first movie also felt completely even. It really came down to Sam as the deciding factor since neither bot could get the kill on the other.

If they stopped his power level from being something like a Chuck Norris joke, made him a no bot left behind sort of leader, and played up honorable even in battle then Prime is a great sort of character for a movie.

With Transformers Prime likely still going when Transformers 4 hits I don't think we will see only a little bit of Prime. So maybe it would be better to just improve Prime as a heroic character than just tossing the character aside.

6. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    As long as the Wreckers have a bigger part, and get more toys I'll be happy. :D 

7. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some new main robot characters would be nice.

8. Jakest123

Jakest123 Well-Known Member

New bad guy kills Bumblebee, and puts Optimus in stasis.
    Some new guy takes charge.
    Problem Solved!

9. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Or maybe have still have Prime as a big part but have the movie be seen through a Transformer's eyes, like Ratchet, Dino, Sideswipe or one of the Wreckers.

10. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I love you, Ash.

As much as I love Bayformers Optimus, depending on the demands of the story, I could easily get behind toning down Optimus (and Bumblebee), providing some other ROBOT CHARACTERS get the pick up the slack.

'Bee and Optimus don't have to completely disappear into the background, but something like having only 70% of their lines/screentime/presence. You know, 40 lines of dialogue for Optimus rather than 50-60. 6 minutes for Bumblebee screentime as opposed to 9 minutes. Optimus/'Bee fighting only twice as opposed to four times. That way the likes of Ratchet and Sideswipe could be bumped up substantially (akin to Wheelie/Brains-level of prominence), and even if they threw in one or two new characters they could get some more time to shine. That way Hasbro can still use the image of Optimus and 'Bee to promote them, but in the overall film they're not quite so scene-stealing.

As I said though, it really all depends on what the overall plot is.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It would be great to see more of the other Autobots. Perhaps find some way to make it feel like more of a team movie. The films have learned how to get great shots with pulling back the camera and they have some good voice actors so why not take advantage of it?

Perhaps I'm just spoiled from Transformers Prime but something like Prime and Ratchet fight back to back against a horde of zombies was the sort of action I'd like to see in the movies.

12. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Completely agreed.

Or scenes where the Autobots are discussing the problem/giving the expository dialogue and then Optimus just walks in to give his two cents (or two lines). Good way to include Optimus, but to not make the scene all about him.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yeah but if Optimus wasn't in the movie, the Decepticons would win and you know the bad guys can never win. It's what i read in the Hollywood screenwriters handbook.

14. Lody666

Lody666 Brother of Bruticus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Perhaps they can kill OP in the begining and have a new, never before seen Autobot take over as leader

Oh wait, that happened before already and the fans crapped all over it

15. Autobot Optimus

Autobot Optimus Autobot Commander

They can as long as it's known that it's not the final movie. (See The Empire Strikes Back, the Fellowship of the Ring, etc.)

So TF5 would probably have to have Optimus back... :)