Why I think an Exodus/War for Cybertron film couldn't work out

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by OP84, Feb 11, 2012.

1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

I, as much as anyone, would like to see the Exodus/War for Cybertron story adapted into a form other than novels and video games. Many people, especially with the release of Dark of the Moon, have been begging for a CG-animated film based on the novel/video game. As much as that would be cool, here are some reasons why I think it couldn't work out.

#1. Cost

Animated films are pretty expensive these days as it is right now, but it could be even worse for something like Transformers. Many people would want to see very detailed characters to match the same quality and feel that was brought to us by ILM in the first three films but if the first film could only get away with having only a few Autobots and Decepticons (compared to the vast amounts of TFs that exist in the lore) because of the budget, imagine how much it would cost for 2 hours+ of the opening scene of DOTM. Sure, you could try and make the characters look more stylized and "mecha-like" as was the case in WFC so you could get away with not having super-detailed looking characters but if that were to lead into a live-action film series, it would kinda seem strange.

#2. Marketing

High Moon Studios has already made most of the general public (or at least the ones who know what Transformers is) aware of their game through marketing of sorts but when making the game into a film, you risk confusing people to think that this could be a new game in the series. Hasbro could easily make a toyline out of it but the problem is that no video games or novel could be since they are already based on a story that was featured in those two forms of media.

#3. Casting

Casting voice actors in big movies like this would be a bad strategy. You'd have to cast more well known actors in the roles. If you really do think that I'm trying to bullshit you, look at most animated films these days and who is cast in them. Big actors are what bring in some or even most, of the general audience.

2. Rael

Rael Shameless Armada Fan

Many of these issues would be avoided if it were a smaller budget TV movie on the Hub, etc. with a DVD/Blu-ray release. (Which, while I don't know about others, I'd personally be beyond happy with.)

Re: that last point, there was an article Corey Burton linked to back in November. It might have some issues in the details, as are pointed out in the comments, but the overall points are interesting.

3. iwasherenotyou

iwasherenotyou Medical Officer

News Credits:
    Cool story bro. :thumb 

4. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
  5. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    That would definitely be cool, since the games were a thousand times better than the Michael Bay turdfests.

I don't think so. There is a huge difference between a "live action film" and animation expectations. I watch "Clone Wars" I don't expect "Attack of the Clones". I think you are definitely wrong about people expecting 2hrs of DOTM. The #1 complaint about the robots in the Bayverse is they are WAY too busy and it's too hard to figure out what is going on, when you have two bots fighting. For Transformers, the bayverse rarely actually transform.
    Simplifying to TF-Prime level of animation would be a welcomed change, because you could incorporate the vehicle modes with the robot modes more readily.

Really? High Moon did? I would think that fell under Activision's role, as publisher of the game. HMS was given the license to work magic on behalf of the Publisher. As for people being confused... I doubt that. The game was popular, but not THAT popular. I think an animated film would get MORE people to try the game. Squaresoft makes Final Fantasy CGI films, and Sony makes Resident Evil CGI films... guess what? I've watched 'em, and never once did I think, "OMG! When do I press 'start'?"

Not really. Did you know most Disney movies DON'T have huge names in them, for the very reason of cost? They find competent, solid actors first, and the fame of the voice is secondary. Nathan Lane and Jeremy Irons were little known at the time they were cast in Lion King. Both had some fame on stage, but not much of a filmography. Also, in the voice-acting world, the "big names" don't get the big money compared to their live action gigs. Grab the actors from TF-Prime, and a few others from Transformers of old, and it'd be no problem. No need for big names. The Bayverse proved that. Not a single big name in it. Biggest names were Hugo Weaving and Leonard Nemoy. All you really need to make a Transformers movie is: Peter Cullen, Frank Welker, Steven Blum, Kevin Richardson, Susan Blu, and Dan Gilvezan. They could do all the voices in the movie with no problem, whatsoever.

6. iwasherenotyou

iwasherenotyou Medical Officer

News Credits:
    I agree with everything webz said. Also, the public isn't that freaking stupid and stop double posting!