Why I think an Exodus/War for Cybertron film couldn't work out

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OP84, Feb 11, 2012.

1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

I, as much as anyone, would like to see the Exodus/War for Cybertron story adapted into a form other than novels and video games. Many people, especially with the release of Dark of the Moon, have been begging for a CG-animated film based on the novel/video game. As much as that would be cool, here are some reasons why I think it couldn't work out.

#1. Cost

Animated films are pretty expensive these days as it is right now, but it could be even worse for something like Transformers. Many people would want to see very detailed characters to match the same quality and feel that was brought to us by ILM in the first three films but if the first film could only get away with having only a few Autobots and Decepticons (compared to the vast amounts of TFs that exist in the lore) because of the budget, imagine how much it would cost for 2 hours+ of the opening scene of DOTM. Sure, you could try and make the characters look more stylized and "mecha-like" as was the case in WFC so you could get away with not having super-detailed looking characters but if that were to lead into a live-action film series, it would kinda seem strange.

#2. Marketing

High Moon Studios has already made most of the general public (or at least the ones who know what Transformers is) aware of their game through marketing of sorts but when making the game into a film, you risk confusing people to think that this could be a new game in the series. Hasbro could easily make a toyline out of it but the problem is that no video games or novel could be since they are already based on a story that was featured in those two forms of media.

#3. Casting

Casting voice actors in big movies like this would be a bad strategy. You'd have to cast more well known actors in the roles. If you really do think that I'm trying to bullshit you, look at most animated films these days and who is cast in them. Big actors are what bring in some or even most, of the general audience.

2. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Anyone want to reply?

3. Slipstreamer 8

Slipstreamer 8 Well-Known Member

film of course wouldn't work....... but a short series or miniseries would do

4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Not really.

5. Hellscream15

Hellscream15 Hi... Bl

..The least they could do is use the animation from the FOC trailer.
    Its not exactly live-action, but it looks close enough, i mean if they can afford to do a trailer with that cgi they could do a few movies.
    Or we would have to wait enough years to the point where the cgi is affordable for a full cgi film.

6. bonycrushy345

bonycrushy345 Well-Known Member

As much as I want one, I have to agree.

7. ShOcKwAvE1213

ShOcKwAvE1213 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

I mean it would cost a fortune but I think it would be awesome. Marketing I mean all u have to say is coming to theatres. No one would confuse it for a game. I haven't even seen a commercial for either games on TV. Getting actors would be just as easy as getting them for the game so the only problem here is the cost

8. Prime17

Prime17 Seeker

News Credits:
    Getting best known actors to voice them can be a problem because lots fans will be complaining for example: WHY IS NEIL PATRICK HARRIS VOICING BUMBLEBEE! or HOW COMES WILL SMITH IS VOICING STARSCREAM.

9. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I ought to have you flensed for suggesting the possibility of such an atrocity.

10. Prime17

Prime17 Seeker

News Credits:
    As much as I don't want to see him voice him (and trust me ,I don't) it could be much much worse than that.

11. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Since I doubt that anyone in this thread is actually in the movie business, I think all discussion is kinda pointless.

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    This seems like a continuation of OP84's other thread: "Why do you want more Transformers in a Transformers movie?"

13. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    ... must have lost a few brain cells reading the original post. I know I'm probably going to regret this in the morning, but here goes.

Seem strange how? As long as the designs look cool, I seriously doubt anybody's going to complain much. Plus if simplified designs means that we can get more robot action, I don't see what's to grouse about.

what is this i don't even

A film is a film. A game is a game. Do you really think the public is that fucking stupid as to be unable to make the distinction between the two?

Then don't make video games or a novel. A toyline would provide more than enough profitable merchandising to go around.

The point you're trying to make is so obtuse I can't fathom it, if a point even exists at all. Just cast big name voice actors, then. What the hell is wrong about doing that?

On a related note. Will Smith as Starscream is retarded - cast him as Jazz instead. But Neil Patrick Harris as Bee? Sign me right up.

14. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    It won't work because it would be a transformers prime movie.

15. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz Genus time! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For gods sake the public isnt that $&@€ing stupid yes everyone probably knows what is the trailer for a game and what is a trailer for a film. If people don't know that much about about transformers so be it! Did I know anything about avatar before seeing the movie? No I didn't but I learned throughout the film. I think people will realize the big red and blue one is Optimus.

And what do you mean by highmoon making a big marketing campaign? I found out about WFC through a GameStop commercial

And the voice actors who cares having a celebrity as a carecter doesn't mean it will sell I'm sorry but I'm not seeing the latest dreamworks film for jack black peater Cullen respects the character as do many voice actors so I really don't see you making any sense with your words

16. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

It's what the studios will want.

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    If someone wanted to make it and had the pull in the industry to make it so then it would be made. There is nothing in the film industry anymore that cannot be done. No-one can ever say 'never' about anything anymore when it comes to movies and what can and can't be done.

Would it be successful? That no-one can fully predict. Stuff studios have thought would be big-hitters have failed and smaller things people thought had no chance have made pretty respectful bank.

18. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    If they did, they would've on their own.
    +1

19. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    I'm amazed none of the OP's reasons are related to the fact that he/she thinks audiences can't relate to Transformers. :rolleyes2 

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I seriously doubt that the studio would push to have the film at the same CGI level as the live action films because it's not needed. Transformers Prime and the video games don't need that same level of detail because the robots don't have to look real when standing next to a real world object or interacting with a live actor instead of an animated actor.

I don't think marketing is a huge hurtle either. When you get looking at the box office as long as Hollywood doesn't put out too many animated films at one time then animated films are big money makers. Opening weekend might not bowl you over but lots of money over lots of weeks get a film like Toy Story 3 over the one billion mark.

Casting voice actors is just like with live action it all depends on who they hire for the roles. Some films find the right actors for the right rolls while other films suffer from miscasting. Just because an actor is a live action actor that doesn't automatically make them a bad voice actor unless you want to think that Hugo Weaving wasn't good as Megatron was bad just because Weaving has done more than voice acting.

I think the hurtle will be that no matter how popular a brand is there is only so much a brand can carry before they burn the average person out. We just got out of the pattern of a live action film every two years, Hasbro needs to push Transformers Prime, with things like multiplayer the new game will be a factor for a while. Throwing in an animated movie at the point my be too much Transformers.