Why I like Transformers!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DaggersRage, Feb 5, 2008.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Well, I dont know if this is really good dicussion but I just want to share it.

As a kid it was typical, cartoon of good giant robots vs bad giant robots. I had my share of toys too that I've now lost, then it was all forgotten after that as I grew (some can say I'm still "growing" up). Then I watched Beast Wars, I really liked that too but didn't comprehend it so much because I didnt see the episodes in order. A friend of mine, a huge comic book collector, bought the Transformers G1 comics by Dreamwave. They where damn good comics! Went back and watched Beast Wars and enjoyed that too.

Pretty simple reasons, but then I see that Transformers has a lot of lore and material to make really good stories. Anyone can find a character they can relate to. So that's pretty much it, Transformers has a lot of ammo to make itself be great.

2. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just imagine, if you could almost instantly become stronger, faster, better. Then to hide in plain site. That's what it must feel like to be a Transformer. Always fasinated with the concept. Also from the first, Transformers remind me of Chinese puzzle boxes. I was hooked with the first two Transformers I ever purchased, G1 Smokecreen and G1 Jetfire. What a ride it's been since then! :D 

3. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    The toy engineering fascinated me from the very beginning. I already loved collecting Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars, and loved the Star Wars films. And when I saw toy vehicles that could change into robots, it was like everything I loved in life had come together to form the perfect toy.

I was hooked before I even saw the TV series.

4. perceptor_mc

perceptor_mc Well-Known Member

is it that bad Ive never been that crazy about the toys? I fell in love with the animation, characters, voices, story and heartand soul. Plus I love giant robots with personalities.

The toys are cool to have around the place just as a homage to my favourite robots!

5. Mega-con

Mega-con Autocon

Ebay:
    I can agree with those sentiments.

6. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I got hooked not by any elegant sentimentalism, just because they were uber cool looking robots with lots of playability.

7. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Despite being a toyline, they have managed to create some of the most iconic heroes of our generation. Optimus, Megatron, Dinobot, Armada Starscream. They are powerfull, intelligent and other neat stuff.

All the other reason are also valid.

8. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    As a kid I always loved to play with real cars, not cartoon cars... besides I was really mad about robots, so when TF's came to my life was like merging my 2 passions in just one.

9. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had some g2 transformers as a kid but forgot about them. i remeber the first transformer i actually picked out my self was bw waspinator. I couldnt decide on what toy to get so i figured these things would be cool. its 2 toys in 1

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    The inovation, the movements, the characters.

That's why BW/BM, TFTM:07 and TFA appeal to me so much. BW is a triple the fun offering the best of all worlds.

11. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

G1 really is what inspired my love of Transformers. It created Optimus Prime, Megatron, Soundwave, Starscream, etc. etc. The show still amazes me in how much I still love it after all these years. I love reading about, watching, or collecting toys of these characters that were created and have now become a part of our culture. I also like BW, The movie, and to some degree Animated but really G1 still has the ability to draw me in and keep me a fan! Got to love Transformers!

12. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I know a bunch of people like you, so don't sweat it. I personally find it refreshing that there are fans like you for a fandom that's based on "selling toys."

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i like TFs, when i buy a new one my butt gets all tingly.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i actually admire that, more than, say, some folks who are all about the toys but not into the stories/character. so kudos, to you, at least youre not so weight down by the materialist aspect of it.

man that sounds like some dirty hippy jive im spouting.

15. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'd have to say it was the G1 episodes that drew me in. Great characterization and icons like Optimus Prime, Megatron, Omega Supreme and Starscream. They were so real to me as a kid. I know I probably sound like an idiot but I SO wanted to be like Optimus when I grew up. (Still waiting for that growing up thing to happen btw.)
    So it was only natural that I wanted the toys of these guys when I saw them. I'd still have to say that after all these years that it's the homages to old G1 characters that I buy the most.

16. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    For me it was the whole package - the toys were my most treasured christmas and birthday gifts as a child, think I got Jetfire first - the cartoon during it's brief run on Wac-a-day had me hooked - and the UK Marvel comics I started getting around issue 90 or so onwards were just pure brilliance.

The fiction and the toys are equally as brilliant in my mind. Maybe fiction slightly more.

17. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember buying my first Transformers, it was the Ravage/Rumble double pack. This was just before the comic & TV series was launched in the UK. So I guess the toy's are what first got me but I also fell in love with the comic & tv show.

18. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

For me it was/is all about the stories, characters, voices, comics too. I'm fascinated by the idea of sentient robots with "souls." The toys were/are just a cool bonus though their engineering/puzzle aspect is unique and keeps them from just being pretty plastic staute eye candy.

19. Eternal_Raven

Eternal_Raven New Member

As a child, there was just something about the series that really struck my interest. Somehow that interest stayed with me, although it didn't have as big of an impact on me, throughout my teenage years and into early adulthood.

Ironically enough it was a common interest in Beast Wars that brought my significant other into my life. We're now well into our third year together as a couple, and in our second year living together. Of course I'm grateful to Transformers for making my life complete.

20. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

I would say my reasons for loving Transformers are similar to perceptor_mc here. I grew up in the late 80s and early 90s. By then transforming robot toys were pretty run of the mill, so I can't say that was the hook that brought me into Transformers. Even before I begun to like Transformers, my parents got me Sixliner from a trip to Japan and I wasn't exactly very thrilled with it.

And then came one fateful day, when a local TV station showed the first episode of the G2 cartoon series, which was basically a rehash of "More than Meets the Eye part 1". I saw giant alien robots, who unlike most other robots, were sentient and characters in their own right, and they made up almost 90% of the cast, right in the forefront and not just mere side characters. I was immediately drawn to the likes of Optimus Prime, Megatron and Starscream. Here they were divided into two races locked in a seemingly epic battle with each other, with Earth and the rest of space as the backdrop. I was definitely hooked by the story concept and characters. (of course as a kid, I knew nothing of the Gobots, having fallen into obscurity by then) Transforming was just the icing on the cake, not the main draw itself. And thus begun my obsession, the Transformers franchise has been my favourite ever since.