Why I have doubts about Superman Returns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pravus Prime, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    http://www.nytimes.com/glogin?URI=http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/04/movies/04gros.html&OQ=_rQ3D1&OP=50eb106eQ2FsQ3EJEsyTQ2AmaTTQ7BrsrQ23Q23NsQ23NsQ23PsoTcRJmsQ23PIaTmQ20wQ7Boi

This ran here in the Detroit Free Press. Just in case you don't want to register to read the article, some highlights:

And later,

And to end it?

And I'm not cherry picking either to make my case, that was the focus of the whole article, that Superman is going to be touch feely and emotional wuss in the movie.

2. Rokkit 2.0

Rokkit 2.0 Nay, we are but men.

Spiderman is essentially about a young boy trying to get through his teenage-to-young-adult years, and his relationship with the love of his life. And I liked them movies.

Multiple levels to your plot is not a bad thing. In the hands of a good director and writer, it could make for a much fuller (and great) experience.

Superman could still go either way, but this hardly makes me worry. If anything, what Singer has done with the X-Men gives me good vibes.

3. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

sounds good to me

4. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    To be fair, the Lois and Clark relationship was a significant element in the earlier films. In the first one, he turned back time to save her life, and in the second one, he gave up his powers for her. Despite all that though, I think those films had a good mix of romance and superhero action.

Still, I have doubts about Superman Returns because I can't get over the fact that Routh doesn't look like Superman to me, and since he's barely shown in any of the trailers, I can't form an opinion about his performance.

5. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

You'll get over it....

Clark's always been the touchy feely one of the lot.

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I don't see a problem.

If you can swallow "Peter, isn't it time someone saved your life" you can swallow Superman going Emo over a chick.

7. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Why I doubted Superman Returns for months:

[​IMG]

The reason those doubts instantly vanished:

[​IMG]

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have my doubts about "Superman Returns" because I haven't been very impressed with Bryan Singer's previous work. If this film is good, it'll be the first of his movies to actually be worth watching, IMO.

Anyway, to echo what's already been said, the emotional Superman stuff was present in both Superman I and II as well (and was rather heavy-handed in both of those films, I thought), so it's not surprising that element will appear in this 'sequel'. Besides, the whole "Superman has all of these incredible powers, but he can't change [x]" is a common element that's carried through virtually every adaptation of the character.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

*coughs* that's because Superman is lame *coughs*

Still gonna be hella entertaining though :D 

10. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I was iffy about Routh as Superman for a long time, too. But the trailer has this one shot of him looking into the camera with such intensity that I was instantly sold on him being Superman and now I'm quite excited to see this movie.

Spacey as Luthor was a no-brainer from the get go. He's quite possibly the perfect Luthor.

11. ABH1979

ABH1979 Blue Boba Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    Im still looking forward to it.

It'll definately be better than X-men 3, but I doubt it will be as good as Batman Begins.

12. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Exactly. I'm looking forward to it because it looks like their going to try to turn an archtype into an actual character.