Why/how do you collect?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by hailstarscream, Dec 20, 2010.

1. hailstarscream

hailstarscream UNICRONIAN

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alright guys and gals, looked to see if there was a thread about this and couldn't find one. The question is up there, but let me emphasize. I collect, but am not a collector. Let me explain. I truly love the G1 characters(first 3 seasons) but not the toys. All the figures I have are of the G1 characters, but are in the classics style and that's all. I don't bother with anything else because after Prime died I started to lose interest(but i am trying to get into other TF series). So those are the only characters I know and love and all my figures are out of the box in a bookcase.

Back to the subject. Why do some people go out and pay $1,000+ on a g1 figure when they can buy a KO for $25, $50 or so. I know nothing is better than the real thing, but isn't that excessive? I mean, I collect for characters, do you/they collect for the sake of just having them? Wouldn't it be better to buy a KO reflector for $30 and say reflector is on the shelf shelf, rather than paying $1000+ for the real thing and put it in storage or packed away? I am NOT saying that there's anything wrong with that, I am just wondering what pushes people to go to that extent.

So, do you collect for the characters? e.g. "I have Reflector, it's a KO and I'm cool with it"
    Or, do you for the toys themselves? e.g. "It has to be a G1 Takara Reflector"

just want a little insight in why/how people collect. thanks for reading can't wait to read you answers

2. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    I think it has something to do with the fact that they are made by Hasbro and TakaraTomy

3. Robticon

Robticon Out of the Game

People want the toys they actually used to have as kids back in the '80s, not copies made in the modern era.

Simple as that, I think.

Dunno what excuse younger collectors who go out of there way to spend a fortune on authentic G1 have.

4. Squawktalk

Squawktalk Light cyclist

News Credits:
    I'm not sure how to start.

I collect because I like the toys, they usually sit on the shelf but they do get posed for pics every now and then. I get G1s and the new stuff. I started into transformers around Armada and didn't really start getting older stuff till after the first michael bay flick. I went back and got the ones from armada that i missed out on, then i went farther back and got some things from my local comic shop. After buying them out, i went to ebay and whatnot to get older stuff. I quit a little while ago because the prices get way too high for my wallet. Every now and then I'll catch a deal but there's no way I'm going to pay a hundred dollars for what equates to a deluxe figure.

This brings me to KOs. I used to hate and despise the idea of them but recently i've been "jonesing," i guess you could say, for a g1 devastator. I looked on ebay and the prices are just too high for me. after hating myself, i looked at KOs. I really like the idea that i can get a nice minty boxed devastator for around a hundred dollars. to whet my appetite, i went and got a crappy chinese carded mini one. It's tiding me over untill i can get the boxed one, but i'm not especially thrilled with it. Another KO that I'm looking at is shockwave because prices on the originals are also really high

Like it or not, i think KOs are going to become a problem for collectors who want the really high priced stuff, especially when they try to sell. Although I'm sure there are those who want the real deal, I'm afraid that more people are going to be like me and go for the cheaper option.

5. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

I've never been an "in package" collector, and don't give any sort of damn about resale value or having to have the original version of a toy. I'm quite content to chase down reissues and possibly a KO if I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that a reissue is impossible due to mold loss.

That having been said, I do chase down Diaclone variants that weren't released in G1. ehobby has been great at reissuing some of these, but I know that I'll eventually have to pay rape prices for Police Sunstreaker (Checkpoint) at some time. I'm also a bit of a repaint nut, as some of the people on the board who know me can attest. Even if it's something a bit on the quirky side (SE Overkill, for example) I snap them up regardless and enjoy them equally. (Which was good for me, since I realized that SE Overkill makes an adequate Hun-grrrr)

6. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Loved the original cartoon as a kid and I love it now. I always wanted the toys, but being a 90s child I didn't have a chance to get them. Now classics are the next best thing to G1s. I collect them for fun, I don't keep 'em in boxes and such, I'm not planing on keeping a Transformer museum, lol. What's the point of having a toy if I won't play with it a little once in a while. I'm starting my G1 collection too. I'll never really buy a MISB or AFA item. The prices are crazy even for the loose figs. I also won't buy anything Transformers. Can you imagine I don't have a single ROTF toy? Not to mention unicron trilogy. Everyone has a different taste and definition of collecting. It's a hobby and it should be fun and relaxing. So enjoy your TFs guys!

7. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I always enjoyed collecting things I have a passion for. As a kid it was Star Wars and Super Powers action figures, comics for a while, and movies.

I had a few G1 Transformers back in the day, but was never serious about it. I simply bought the characters I liked. Once War for Cybertron came out, it really got me reinterested in Transformers, and looking for game hints led me here where I discovered this community. I heard about the WfC figures here, bought Prime and Bumblebee, and got the bug. Took me back to being a kid again, I guess. I've since decided to get as much Starscream as I can lay my hands on (except for movie Starscream, he doesn't feel right), plus others that interest me. It's become a fun thing to share with my 8 yr old little girl - we have fun looking for new waves in the stores, or getting packages with new bots in the mail. We recently got Battle in Space - not sure who was happier to open it up! She went for Hot Rod, I went for Cyclonus.

I'm not a collector, really. Just a guy who's enjoying Transformers, and I'll keep buying 'em as long as it's fun.

8. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just loved this :) 

9. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    The best part about Battle In Space - while the old man is trying to transform Cyclonus by following the instructions, little miss had Hot Rod in alt mode in nothing flat and was showing him off to Optimus (I know I heard "Look who has the Matrix now!" or something similar coming from my room...) LOL

10. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    This. For me, at least

11. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I collect because i love the old cartoon, the characters and the concept of transformers in general. That said i am not a MISB or AFA collector. I also do not collect my toys for resale value. That said i do keep the boxes for my boxed figures. I do love the packaging i just find it to much of a hassle to keep the cards. The figures i collect are just whats coming out as its coming out if i like how the figures looks and it gets reviewed well i will get it. I do try and snatch up all of the molds for classic figures since Universe 2.0. I am also now collecting MPs since the US releases of Skywarp and Grimlock. The next two i am adding are the upcoming 2011 reissues of Megatron and OP. Collecting is fun, transforming them is fun and posing them and staring at them is fun!

12. hailstarscream

hailstarscream UNICRONIAN

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i agree. but is paying 20x the amount really worth it?

that's awesome that you share that with you kid. that's probably why i don't have any....don't want them playing with my stuff. nah jk lol
    but you are right it's supposed to be fun

my friend asked me to help him with ROTF Leader prime.....took me an hour WITH instructions. my 10yo cousin does it like 2min

i totally agree. i like to take one while i'm watching a movie and transform him a couple times. or if i'm doing a custom have one there to think or relax.

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    when i startedd collecting i wanted the toys i had and the ones i didn't as a kid, but classics started getting bigger and bigger, and i started getting more into that collection

14. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

i love the '84 cartoon so i'm buying the toys from the cartoon. Since i wanted something modern, I went with the classics line.

For KOs, I'd buy them only when a good condition loose original is over $100 and at least three times the price of a KO.

15. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Why = I am a man/child, and I partake in the enjoyment of playing with little figurines. Childhood, fuck yeah.
    How = I buy toys.

16. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

My goal is to have a modern version of every G1 character possible, as long as the design makes sense. For that reason, I skipped the new Seaspray and Powerglide. I have either original or reissues of all the original mini-cars, not counting repaints (e.g. Pipes, Outback, etc.) and the newer Universe Wheelie because the G1 version is awful.

I skip figures that I feel don't "fit" with my G1-esque collection due to scale or aesthetic, like virtually any movie figure or Masterpiece Grimlock. As much as I like Animated, I stopped collecting those because the design of the figures is so cartoon-y compared to my other stuff.

I might pick something up if it interest me, even if it doesn't fit in. Terradive doesn't exactly fit in with my collection, but he's pretty sweet. Tomahawk, on the other hand, I'll skip, unless they repaint him as G1 Actionmaster Over-Run.

I have my best-of-the-best displayed in glass cases in our home office. I'm content to come in, take one out, transform it to alt-mode and back, and put it back in the case. Just seeing the Ark crew posed together brings me as much joy now as playing with the few originals I had as a kid.

17. Manok

Manok Well-Known Member

I think I was 10 years old when transformers came out. I had most of them growing up (wish I did now). To be honest with you, alot of them were crappy so I don't really care about G1 as much as I should. Like shockwave and jetfire. Yeah as a kid they were cool, but now, not so much. I like to collect the ones that were diffucult for me to collect, such as predaking and devastator.

I really like the MP versions so I collect those as well. The new stuff that is coming out? well, I let those stay on the shelves for the new collectors. I don't need that stuff in my house.

18. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    simple i love transformers i love new molds i love old molds im colecting the new stuff first and in the off time i will by something old to carry over the time but i have to like it if i dont i wont by it

19. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I collect toys because I enjoy having and being able to relate with other people over them.

20. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I'm an impulse buyer, usually from retail stores and generally keep things MISB unless I really want to open it, then I do. I generally buy the toys that have a character that appeal to me or at least homage the past.

I have limited display space so storage is easier with things still in boxes. No really it is.