Why hasn't this show been cancelled already?!

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Cal, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On another site, I wrote rant about Thundercats being cancelled along with many other shows I love like Tron Uprising and Wolverine and the X-Men. Somehow Transformers Prime got mentioned as ending after the third season, and my response was, "The tragedy is that it wasn't cancelled already!" Really, I don't know why this show is so popular. I think it pales in comparison to Animated, and it all boils down to the characters:

- Bumblebee seems to be based off his ugly Movie design. He should never have been a muscle car to begin with, it's just not his character. (I forever hate Michael Bay for butchering the franchise.) His voice is just this lazy series of buzzes and whirrs that have none of the charm of R2-D2 or even the radio clips from the Movie.

- The Vehicons are another example of laziness, since it's easy to multiply them in the 3D format of the show. They're just faceless stormtroopers, bereft of character. While it does give the Autobots an excuse to use lethal force on a regular basis, I would much rather see the series bring established Decepticons to the frontlines and develop them. Transformers Animated introduced plenty of characters on both sides and it was always a joy to see them appear on the show. The series was written well enough that they didn't need to be killed off to make the battles believable. If a new Vehicon shows up in Prime.... who gives a shit?

- The human sidekicks are obnoxious. Not one of them has the charm of Sari Sumdac. Miko in particularly strikes me as the cliché reckless kid who keeps getting into trouble and needs to be rescued by the grown-up robots.

- What the hell happened to Wheeljack? I remember him being this jolly, brilliant scientist, always inventing new gizmos that blow up in his face. Now he's this sword-wielding badass who acts more like Drift than the character I remember from my youth.

- The worst character by far is Soundwave. Not only does he look absolutely nothing like any of his past incarnations, but neither does his minion Laserbeak, who is just a mindless drone now. What's worse is that he's mute. Tell me, when you think back to G1 Soundwave, what would you say is his most distinguishing feature? Most people would say his vocoder voice, so why in the holy mother of Moses would you want to remove that?!?

- In fact, nearly every single Transformer is rubbish. They diverge so much from their namesakes that it's hard for me to associate them with the characters I grew up with. Arcee seems to be based off the nasty bitch from the comics instead of the compassionate valkyrie from the 80's show. In Transformers Animated, every character harkened back to their roots, with Prowl being the only major exception. It gave older fans something to get excited about as well as kids watching the cartoon. Transformers Prime has none of that appeal and I stopped watching after the first four episodes.

- Don't get me started on Unicron....

2. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Much ranting and much whining.

TF Prime has always been planned for 65 episodes.

3. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^ You say that as if it is an inevitable fact. Thundercats was always planned for 52 episodes, but got cancelled after the first season.

4. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    /\The boiled down reasons you dislike the show. This IS NOT G1.
    Sure, there are issues I have with the series, but none of them are due to blinding nostalgia rage.

5. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    This will end well.

6. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    Cool story bro, better send it to a publisher.

7. LordPrime

LordPrime Dark Lord

Trukk not munky! Trukk not munky!!!

68, actually. BH was supposed to be 16 eps, but was cut down to 13.

8. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Wah.

There are people that like the show, probably many more than the vocal minority that take each and every occasion to rant about it. Don't like it? Don't watch it.

9. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    :banghead: 

Thundercats got canceled because it's toyline was selling like crap and was being discounted and put on clearance around halfway into the series. At least Toonami is trying to keep it some what alive by airing the reruns.

As for Transformers Prime goes, and all transformers fiction for that matter, maybe you've forgotten one small little detail when it comes to the characters of these shows. They chaaaaaange.

It'd be boring if they kept them exactly the same as their G1 counterparts, the series expands and tries to create new memorable characters for us to like, that while may be based off G1 characters, should not be forced to be exactly like them.

Now, if you'd like to live in G1 land that's fine, but don't try and bad mouth the shows we do happen to like. Prime may not be perfect, but it sure as hell has a lot more personality and character than G1 did.

10. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I hate Prime to the point that I haven't watched those three episodes of Beast Hunters and from what little I've heard, I don't want to. However, I strongly disagree with your primary point which seems to be that it's bad because it's not G1.

There are many, many reasons to dislike and even hate the show But nearly every series has been different to G1 and people need to get over this fact. All this thread will do is cause people to claim that all who dislike Prime hate change.

11. LegoShokwave123

LegoShokwave123 (-_-)

Bold is my reply.

12. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The lack of homages is a factor, but it's not as if the Prime's characters are any better. As I said, the Vehicons add nothing to the series and are just generic army-builders. (The G1 cartoon did this with the Sweeps, who I didn't like either.) Others like Bumblebee and Soundwave have weak personalities and the kids are annoying. If these are the new characters fans are supposed to love, I'm not seeing any appeal in them.

Secondly, have you ever wondered why Optimus Prime is the only one who has almost always retained his original look throughout the franchise? (I'll save the "Trukk not monkey" debate for another time.) He's established himself as a red and blue truck and that helps carry his legacy across the series. But other characters are continously redesigned, which is the creators way of saying:

"Optimus Prime is the leader, so he needs to be a red and blue truck. But the other Transformers aren't as important, so we can make them whatever we want."

That is an incredibly dismissive attitude towards characters who I feel are just as memorable as the protagonist. Derrick Wyatt understood this and incorporated aspects into every Transformers Animated character that brought a sense of continuity to their appearance. With Transformers Prime, almost no one looks familiar.

I couldn't disagree more. How can you possibly looks at a Vehicon and say, "This character has more personality than Grapple or Beachcomber or Octane or ANY other G1 character"? Soundwave should lead them as the personality-free vaccuum of the Decepticon army.

13. LegoShokwave123

LegoShokwave123 (-_-)

You're pathetic. In you're first post you said that you didn't watch past the first four episodes. YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO TALK!

14. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Invalid? Wow, nice way to ignore someone's opinion. I don't like Prime Soundwave, so your argument is invalid. :rolleyes: 

Biased towards Animated? I like the show because it's good! If you like Prime, does that mean you're biased towards it? Anyway, I've seen enough of Prime to know it's not got it where it counts. If you can stand there and honestly tell me that in future episodes, Vehicons disappear, Soundwave and Bumblebee get voices, the kids move away, and hopefully Wheeljack is sucked into a black hole or something, then I will wholeheartedly admit that I'm wrong and watch the series unwaveringly.

15. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    And the hole keeps getting dug deeper and deeper.

If you don't like the show, fine, who the hell cares? But trying to make a point of it to "try" and make others believe your weak arguments and claims? That's another thing.

Oh, and as far as Optimus' color goes, if the red and blue is as important as you say, why is it that every toyline then takes Optimus, and gives him new decos in a non-red and blue paintjob? If the color of Optimus mattered so much, why wouldn't they keep him those colors in every mold?

By the way, Thundercats deserved to get cancelled, Lion-O has a horrible design and was too much of a kid. And the Thunder Tank looked to mech-ish. :rolleyes: 

16. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

Cancel life, since rarely is somebody able to make a cartoon with a good plot

17. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

It honestly seems to me that you're just upset that Prime isn't more like G1.

The series wasn't cancelled before the end of its run because IT'S PERFORMING WELL. Why the hell would Hasbro cancel a series that is doing well? That just makes no sense.

18. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's nice to see how little you think of an opposing voice and state I "try and make others believe my weak arguments and claims". It's like I can't speak criticism around here. But if you're going to show a lack of respect, I might as well mention how asinine your point about recolours is. Those are spin-off variants of toys that have nothing to do with the series canon. Optimus' primary colour has been red and blue and that's what counts.

19. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    Clearly you're beyond reason at this point.

You're not going to change your opinion, and neither am I, so what is the point of even arguing this? You can go ahead and waste you time complaining about how things are not G1 anymore, and how Prime is baaaad cause it happens to bring new ideas to the table.

Me, I'm going to watch the first episodes of Beast Hunters again, and enjoy how far we've come since the days of G1.

Have a fine day kid, and I hope one day you can join the rest of us in progression :) 

20. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Boohoo cry us a River

Seriously the haters on this site spend MORE time talking about Prime than the fans do. Do you guys just love complaining or what? I sure don't spend hours browsing the MLP forums now that I can't stand the show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.