Why Hasbro/Takara?....why?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Viper08, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Viper08

Viper08 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why don't you guys ever release all the seekers for the same line in the same size class?. We got already DOTM Starscream & Thundercracker....but noooooo, it would've been too good to let the fans here in the US get all three at retail at the same time...no, we will make deluxe DOTM Skywarp a Japan exclusive. Thanks 

Am I condemned to not having a complete seekers set from ANY of the lines; very frustrating Has/TT.
    Sorry for the rant I just find it very annoying. Waddya guys think?

2. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, I know people are saying Skywarp is an exclusive in the Masabon thread, but is it confirmed. I can't seem to glean that information out from reading the 17 pages in there. Maybe I am missing something.

3. Viper08

Viper08 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Me neither, but that's what it says on the front page here at the site; I'm hoping we do get him; I really like that little mold and wouldn't mind having all three ( without having to import SW ).

4. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah. Neat little mold that can sit next to my Classics Seekers. Was hoping for SW and then G1 Starscream oh wells. I guess I can't get everything. 40 bucks for the average deluxe from Japan is a wee bit too much. First Vortex, now SW. That blocks. Good thing I had no interest in Air Raid.

5. VenomKing

VenomKing Well-Known Member

The news article on the main page says it's been confirmed as a Japan exclusive.

6. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    I don't understand it either. Sigh...

7. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I personally think it is way too early in the line to completely call the idea of a Hasbro release dead.

Either way, I am not collecting non-movie movie toys anyhow, and was perfectly fine having Leader Starscream. If it does not come to fruition, I can understand the frustration of those trying to complete a set, but I think it is way too early to say that we definately won't be getting Skywarp stateside.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Because only obsessive fanboys want to buy the same toy three/six times with two/five of them being virtual nobodies.

9. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    tftm voyager ss + tftm voyager tc + rotf voyager skywarp = happy me

10. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

A better question is why are the seekers so short, and why ain't 3rd party companies doing something about it?

11. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    They like to screw with us? "We could give them what they want... Nah, it's more fun this way..." :lol 

12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now I've seen everything. Someone just demanded that the "third party fairy" give Starscream high heels.

I really doubt that seeker completists (much less in the ever-maligned movie line) are as powerful a force in the market as they like to think. There were a lot of them in Generations, but that's kind of a special case. I don't actually want to see Starscream clones in other franchises. Animated came up with an absolutely brilliant reason for them to exist, but that doesn't apply elsewhere.

13. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Hey, disco platform shoes would work just as well.

Maybe an afro too.

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Did Thundercracker get a Japanese release? I'm not following the movie line at all.

Anyway. We're a month in on the movie line. Try some patience. We have seen 3 decoes of the same mold come out within a single line. Prowl was released at the beginning of Universe '08, Blue/Silverstreak in wave 3 or 4, and then Smokescreen there at the end. Takara did it as well with those 3 and Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, and Alert.

So there's precedent for it. But what it comes down to really is more or less what Split Lip said. It's hard to sell the same toy three times. Ask any collector who doesn't buy redecoes.

15. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Dudes, put your heads together.
    07 movie, we got store exclusive (target?) voyager figures for movie starscream in G1 colors, and Thundercracker. It wasn't until movie 2 rolled around and we got Skywarp.
    Classics, we got starscream and then skywarp, and ramjet. We all moaned about the lack of dirge, and no thrust, nor thundercracker. We got the henkei, and then the botcon set, all of which took our money. And then we got ourselves some nice shiny new generations figures. Cheap, and at our disposal. Easy and quick.
    Don't worry to much, my money is that it's just a matter of time.

16. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Yes. You can see him in the images of the product line up.

17. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    And by actually waiting for a Hasbro release down the line, it will probably end up a more interesting figure than a color swapped Thundercracker with Starscream's weapons

18. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Or you could just scrape together the extra 20 bucks and buy the Takara one.

19. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

QFT.

It doesn't make financial sense for retailers to put out six repaints at the same time. Parents are not going to be buying all six of them for their kid. They are going to pick one (probably whichever one is their kid's favorite color) and leave the others lying on the shelf to rot. Essentially, by releasing so many of the same mold at once, Hasbro puts itself in the position of competing with itself. Whereas if it waits a couple of months, then it can release another one without the 2 figures competing for the buyer's dollar.

And besides all that, where's your sense of sport? Collecting isn't an instant gratification sort of hobby! I love seekers. I'm as much a seeker whore as anybody, with my main fix being Classics Seekers. And while it would've been an instant gratification to have all seven seekers at once, I rather enjoyed the time spent and the delicious anticipation that was involved in collecting the entire Classics Seeker cast over the course of five years. (I missed out on Botcon 07.)

I gotta be honest. If the entire Classics cast had been released in one lump back in 2006, I would've been:
    (a.) unable to buy them all, in all likelihood, because I am not made of money
    (b.) without a hobby to pursue now, and with no reason to look forward to the future of TF collecting.
    (c.) bored with TF collecting. I probably would've boxed them up by now, sold them, or something.

Patience, my friend.

20. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    everything does not need to be as in the 80s.