Why go to Earth if you don't want humans?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OP84, Jan 3, 2012.

1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

I've noticed that many people hate the humans in the Transformers movies and only want the TFs as real, fleshed out characters but they also want some movies to take place on Earth. HOW MUCH SENSE DOES THAT MAKE?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Very little. But it's the only plausible way to have earth-mode transformers.

Unless, I guess, the movie was set in some post-apocalypse scenario where the humans are all dead.

I think people more want the Transformers to be the stars of the films, rather than it to focus on human characters. But if that's the case, why make it live action in the first place?

3. AlexaStar

AlexaStar Starscream is love

Unlike most people, I do not hate the main human characters in Transformers (although I could care less about extras or people who are rude to or don't like the Transformers. They're fair game).

I think there should be a bit more focus on the Transformers, of course, but I also want a main female character who isn't there just for T&A. Mikaela was good in the first movie (she sawed off Frenzy's head, hooked Bumblebee up to a tow-truck and led him through the battle-ravaged city to help take down Brawl), as well as the second movie (capturing Wheelie, who was actually a major help in getting Optimus resurrected, indirectly), but the only thing that Carly did in the third movie that was anywhere near helpful was convincing Megatron to take down Sentinel. I didn't hate Carly by any means, but I really missed Mikaela when I watched the third movie (as well as Arcee, Chromia, Elita-1, and Alice).

In other words, Mikaela was not a bad character, not to me at least, though hopefully any more movies will give the main female character(s) some more depth.

Actually, this goes for female Transformers in the movies too, but that's not the discussion here.

4. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don’t hate having human characters. Human characters are needed in a live-action Transformers film. Thinking otherwise is blind ignorance, IMO. We need something to relate to, as the main human character (Sam, for example) is more or less playing the role of the audience. We’re seeing everything through their eyes. The human element is needed entirely; otherwise it will just become too detached and alien. Audiences that aren’t Transformers fanatics (so about 99%) won’t take to it very much.

Having said all that, I think the biggest problem with a lot of the movie characters the films have given us thus far is just the fact that they're twats and no one would like them in real life. I’m looking at Simmons, Sam from ROTF onwards, Sam’s parents, Leo etc. There have only been two human characters that I have consistently liked in all three films: Lennox and Epps. After three films it should be more than that.

So yeah, human characters are needed. I just want to like them.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    A lot of sense. You have the whole "robots in DISGUISE" thing going on. I don't think anyone has ever said they don't want to see any humans in TF. And I don't think many people are opposed to a human character or two in some capacity. What people are opposed to is humans and human stories hogging 75% of the movie's run time.

Spike/Sam is not the main character of the Transformers mythos. Sam's MOM should not have three times as many lines of dialogue as Megatron. Sam's dad shouldn't have more lines of dialogue than Ironhide, Starscream, Ratchet, and Sideswipe combined. I enjoy the movies as-is, but I don't think those are unreasonable complaints.

6. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I agree with this guy. I also don't like untrained boys killing Decepticons. Especially high ranking ones like Megatron and Starscream, his two victims. Also, we need a bit more TF screen time which would be made possible if they would quite wasting time with generics, giant armies (ROTF had too many named characters), and pointless giants like Devastator and the Driller.

7. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Well, at least people are bringing up some good points.

8. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    My main problem with the human element comes during and after Revenge of the Fallen. It worked fine in movie 1 because it had a reason. Sam had the glasses they needed, Bumblebee became his guardian until the others got there to explain, and the plot circled around the Transformers themselves, though it had several human subplots, in the end they all linked together to one story.

Revenge of the Fallen is mostly about Sam going to college, and the love story with him and Mikaela. They shoehorned his importance into it by making him have the knowledge of the sun harvester in his memory, and making Mikaela a central part by giving her the other shard. If they would have made Sam a military, even low low ranking, or a special officer of NEST, then at least he'd have had a better role, and wouldn't have been as forced into it.

Dark of the Moon, Sam could have pretty much been removed and replaced by Epps or Lennox and had almost exactly the same outcome. They could have replaced Carly with Lennox's wife, and I don't think it would have made any difference at all. If the humans were actually important, let the Transformers be the stars while they help the story in some fashion, then I'd have no problem with it. But after movie 1, it's seemed like the human interaction was forced in, and I believe this is what most people dislike.

9. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

So, Sam would have been dating an older woman?

10. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    No, there wouldn't be a Sam in 3. It would be more Lennox and his wife. Dark of the Moon could easily be redone without him.

11. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    This! A limited human cast with well-written and likeable characters is fine.

12. WidowMaker91

WidowMaker91 Well-Known Member

Seconded.I don't hate human characters I hate Sam and Ms T&A.

13. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    Something tells me that going to Nebulos won't be much more pleasing.

14. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

this.

15. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Oh, yeah, you say some wise things!
    People are needed so that we can imagine ourselves in their place... Experience the beauty, power, divinity of Transformers, the ferocity and implacability of their war! See all by our eyes, feel them ALIVE! How they not similar us and at the same time close to us... How did He (I think everyone understand about whom I say...) breaths in the face of Buzz Aldrin, how Bumblebee transforms at the fire and gently pushes Sam by own bumper - calls him go again, do not give up... People are needed because the main thing in this FILMS - LOVE! Even the betrayal and despair will never stop it! Even against a hundreds of Decepticons a handful of enamored people and Autobots can ALL!

16. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    This is the crux of the matter, right here.