Why Everyone Ignored TDK Plothole

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by monosierra, Jul 2, 2009.

1. monosierra

monosierra Well-Known Member

I enjoyed TDK very much last summer - it pretty much took the superhero movie in a brand new direction. Yet one of its set pieces was set in motion by a ridiculous premise that almost undermined its whole grittiness - the Harvey-Dent-faked-his-arrest sequence.

Given the film's realistic approach, the sheer incredulity of that whole idea is beyond belief, once you think about it. How in the world was Dent so sure everything would go according to plan (Hint: it didn't)? What were the costs involved, in terms of cops killed and choppers busted? And most of all, how did the Joker foresee the whole damned thing and turn the tables?

Yet hardly anyone pointed about this. Why? Because TDK on the whole had so many merits - from an intelligent story to spectacular acting, not to mention its taking the comic book movie past adolescence to adulthood - some flaws, even major ones in the plot, are readily ignored for general praise of the picture.

ROTF, on the other hand, was ridiculed for its many plot holes. One reason for this is that these plotholes were not borne out of necessity, as was the case of TDK, but carelessness. A mistake in the radar screen, an aerospace museum dislocated - the kind of stuff a quick script review can correct. These seem to suggest a ****-the-audience-they-won't-care attitude that smacks of cynicism - at least to critics.

At the end of the day, ROTF delivers an entertaining experience - nothing more, nothing less. It pandered to the the lowest denominator - satisfying a movie-going public in need of a explosive thrill ride. You want more robots? You got it.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

I was more annoyed by cellphone sonar... it was fucking ridiculous XD

3. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I didn't like that they didn't kill the dude from R&D that figured out Bruce = batman. He knows the secret he must die >:O and then Bruce ruined a perfectly good Lambo. My inner TF fangirl cried.

4. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    that was my one gripe with TDK.

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

It was, also, about an hour too long. Hayo!

6. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I loved both movies and both were/are my favorite films of the year.

However I gotta say I like RotF better, but that's just 'cause I like Transformers as a whole better than Batman as a whole.

7. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Well-Known Member

There are other things going on storywise during TDK to keep your mind busy rather than dwelling on plotholes like that. ROTF, not so much.

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    One thing I hated about TDK was the upside-down camera scene with the Joker. That looked extremely stupid.

9. Jingoku

Jingoku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those things in TDK didn't bother me. Harvey didn't know how it would turn out, he's the type of character that takes chances. As for Joker, he may say he's the agent of chaos and doesn't plan things, but you learn he's a goddamn master planner. He's got plans for every possible situtation. He isn't as crazy as he looks, he's honestly a criminal mastermind.

10. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

alot of people may disagree with me but i thought the dark knight was at some points visually and emotionally mind raping

11. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

That isn't the pot hole. Dent was actually arrested. The plot hole is that if Batman and Gordon are together in on faking Gordon's death to the capturing the Joker, then why does Bruce Wayne go through all that wasted effort of mourning Gordon's death, destorying all his Batman files, and generally preparing to give himself up as Batman? Dent turning himself is actually a stroke of luck as it appears that he isn't even in on the plan. Everything comes down to one giant coincidence.

It is a huge plothole that was really was not harped upon, you're right. However, I think it was not harped on because everything else was just so damn good besides that one element.

12. Mega-con

Mega-con Autocon

Ebay:
    I am an AV junkie, so that is the only reason I enjoyed TDK. It looks amazing on my 141FD.

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Same here.

14. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    This^^
    Coleman Reese must DIE!

15. fleshling

fleshling Well-Known Member

I LOVE TDK.

That being said.

How did the Joker plant a bomb in a dude that would blow up the entire police station and kill/incapacitate everyone in the building except himself and the accountant guy?

That's an amazing bomb, there.

16. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

I have no issues with TDK story wise, what I find bizarre is that people are dumping so hard on ROTF but loving Star Trek so much. Same writers, same basic level of adequate but underwhelming script. Both are fun for what they are but in the end I had more fun with ROTF (due to the TFs and the fact that the script issues in Trek really hampered my overall enjoyment of it).

17. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    That wasn't so much as a Plothole as it was a "WTF?!" Moment for me. Who the hell would actually believe that Harvey Dent was The Goddamn Batman? Like I said before, I would've laughed his ass of the stage for such proclaimation.

Easy Math here; It was Directed by J.J. Abrams and not Michael Bay.

18. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Why? even Joker though he was Batman at one time.

19. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

First off, TDK if it had any plot holes, were extremely minor and didn't detract from the story telling. ROTF on the other hand, had so many that it took you right out of the movie.

Regarding how the Joker was always 2 steps ahead .. its probably because he believed in alot of backup plans. He may have seemed insane (which he was) but he was also a genious. Fine line between the two.

20. Abraxis

Abraxis Member

Agree. That was the one thing I really enjoyed about the Joker, aside from LEdger's amazing interpretation, was how he was always meticulous with his plans and although crazy as shit, still a genius. Not just another dumb villain like so many other movies. Weather they wrote him that way or if it had to do with Ledger's portrayal of the character, either way I loved that about the movie.